Is their a need for Exorcist in the U.S./North America?

Hello.

I am discerning becoming a priest, and at the same time discerning whether or not to be an Exorcist or not.

I was asking if their is a large need within America and/or North America for an exorcist who is a priest?

Some other questions I have is,
Does an exorcist have to know Latin? I'm assuming they do but I don't know.

What are the requirements for becoming an exorcist?

Thanks.

My understanding is that most, if not all, dioceses have at least one exorcist. It is also my understanding that it is something asked of the priest by his ordinary not something that the priest himself seeks out.

Hello JD27076,

I don't want to rain on your parade, but, nobody in their right mind 'wants' to be an exorcist.
It is a very specialized and extremely difficult ministry. The exorcist is exposed to the full and unfiltered hatred of Hell. They often have very hard lives.

I think you need to do a bit more research on this subject.

I have just posted in the "ask an apologist" column about an exorcist.

In addition to what is suggested, is it possible to have an approved exorcist to join catholic answer?
God bless
In Jesus Christ and Mary

Hello!

I'm grateful that you're discerning a vocation to the priesthood. We certainly need good and holy priests. Bear in mind that a priest's ability to baptize (a form of exorcism in itself!), to consecrate the Eucharist and to forgive sin in the name of the Church, and to preach are the most powerful weapons against the devil ever!

Exorcists have to be validly ordained Catholic priests, because they act in the name of Christ's Church and they need the full power and authority of the Church behind them.

Priests who are exorcists are typically asked by the local Ordinary (Bishop) to function in that role based on their maturity, holiness, judgment, etc. The role of exorcist, from what I understand, is a very difficult one. If you have a call to become one, it will become known when the time is right and your Bishop will call you to that role. At the moment, however, focus on your own growth in love of God and neighbor, and in discerning your vocation to priesthood. With those in place, your ministry will, God willing, be a formidable weapon against the kingdom of darkness.

God bless!

Yes. There is a need.

Do we ever! With all the new age religion around its a scary place here in the US. Patrick Madrid on his radio show a few weeks ago did a whole show about demonic possession in the US, it scared the poop out of me and the people calling in telling their stories were unbelievable especially the ones who left new age religions for the Church! Any one using a psychic is dabbling with a demonic spirit because God forbids it and a Good Heavenly angel could not give a human insight so it information is coming from a bad angel. Angels are infinitely smarter than man and can easily piece together events and figure things out that people are asking about. Check out Patrickmarid.com his shows are archived. Also Father Gabriel Amorth is the chief exorcist of Rome and he wrote a book on exorcism. I haven't read it but a few people have recommended it.

[quote="JD27076, post:1, topic:315328"]
Hello.

I am discerning becoming a priest, and at the same time discerning whether or not to be an Exorcist or not.

I was asking if their is a large need within America and/or North America for an exorcist who is a priest?

Some other questions I have is,
Does an exorcist have to know Latin? I'm assuming they do but I don't know.

Thanks.

[/quote]

This talk by exorcist Fr. Vincent Lampert should answer some of your questions. (It's from 2009 but he gave a similar talk in October 2012.)There are three parts.

Blessings as you discern your vocation!

Fr. Lampert is one of only 12 officially trained and recognized exorcist priests in the US, and has been serving in this capacity for four years. He is also a full-time pastor of a large parish in Indianapolis.

**youtube.com/watch?v=ia9VrAWvAKo*

youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=Y5cCmKSy-Tk

youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=7hBsa4AhO14&NR=1*

Detout, how do you know Fr Vincent Lampert? Do you think I can reach him for personal sharing?
God bless.
In Christ and Mary

[quote="frjohnmaryt, post:9, topic:315328"]
Detout, how do you know Fr Vincent Lampert? Do you think I can reach him for personal sharing?

[/quote]

This is probably exactly why exorcists maintain a low profile... so that they aren't exposed to a deluge of unsolicited contacts...!

Pray for him, but unless you think you need an exorcist yourself (in which case you should contact your diocese or parish priest), I would advise that you don't reach out to an exorcist directly...

[quote="JD27076, post:1, topic:315328"]

[/quote]

Discern the priesthood, not any particular role that you might play after ordination. What roles you fill will be at the discretion of your bishop. You can't approach priesthood with the mentality of "I want to be a priest, but only in this one particular ministry."

Being a priest. ;)

Then, being asked by your bishop to consider that role (and any education, etc, that you would pursue after accepting that ministry). It's not something that you should pursue at this point in discernment, though.

[quote="frjohnmaryt, post:9, topic:315328"]

God bless.
In Christ and Mary

[/quote]

Only from hearing one of his talks. He's a priest for the Archdiocese of Indianapolis.

[quote="Gorgias, post:11, topic:315328"]
Discern the priesthood, not any particular role that you might play after ordination. What roles you fill will be at the discretion of your bishop. You can't approach priesthood with the mentality of "I want to be a priest, but only in this one particular ministry."

[/quote]

this is very good advice - priest promise obedience to their bishop and his successors and that means not being able to do what you want, but instead doing what your bishop wants. So you may have your heart set on becoming an exorcist while your bishop feels he needs you do study canon law. The nature of diocesan priesthood is that it isn't confined to one particular ministry or pastoral area - some priests are hospital chaplains, others are involved with youth ministry, still others teach in seminaries. Very often these pastoral ministries are in addition to their parish work which is a diocesan priest's first calling.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.