Is there a bible reference to show that Mary met Jesus carrying the cross on the way to Calvary?

Hi,

I know that this is also referenced in the 4th Sorrowful Mystery.

It seems like it is common knowledge that she did encounter Jesus on the way to Calvary, but where is that stated in the bible?

Is it even there or in some other church document?

Thanks

Anthony

There is no such mention of this in the gospels. There also is no mention of Veronica wiping the face of Jesus either.

I don’t believe there is any church documentation for this belief, but there is no explicit Biblical documentation of Mary meeting her son on the road to Calvary.

To my knowledge, neither is dogmatically defined, but popular devotion presumes that she accompanied Him on the path, deriving this from (at least) two reasons from the Bible for this inference.

John tells us that she was standing at the foot of the cross, while Luke (23:27) says that “* A large number of people followed him, including women who mourned and wailed for him. *.”

It is reasonable to believe that these women who followed Jesus may very well have included not only Mary, but also Veronica.

God bless,

Chris

Unless Mary got to Calvary after Jesus had already been crucified, she would have to have seen him carrying the cross.

:smiley:

Even if she saw him that doesn’t mean she met him carrying the cross. Seeing and meeting are different things.

There is also no mention of Geroge Washington crossing the Delaware, but we are pretty certain it happened.
The whole idea that is impossible for something to have happened because it’s not in scripture is ludicrous. That’s the tragedy of the belief in Sola Scriptura.

Jerusalem was sacked by the Romans towards the end of the first century and Jesus’ prophcey about the destruction of the temple was fufilled. Does the Bible tell us this or the historian Josephus?

Hey, ElvisMan, check out this post.

forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=3380582&postcount=12

elvisman;3746628]There is also no mention of Geroge Washington crossing the Delaware, but we are pretty certain it happened.
The whole idea that is impossible for something to have happened because it’s not in scripture is ludicrous. That’s the tragedy of the belief in Sola Scriptura.
There is also no mention of Geroge Washington crossing the Delaware, but we are pretty certain it happened.

I didn’t clain that it is “impossible for something to have happened because it’s not in scripture” but that scripture never mentions such a thing. It may be true or it may be not. You cannot claim to know it happened since there is no record of it.

Jerusalem was sacked by the Romans towards the end of the first century and Jesus’ prophcey about the destruction of the temple was fufilled. Does the Bible tell us this or the historian Josephus?

This is shown to be true historically. If there is evidence that it happened then it should be believed.

That’s my whole point. As Catholics, we have the deposit of faith. This includes scripture and tradition based on authority. Not every tradition is written down.

Remember what St. Paul said:
So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word of mouth or by letter from us.
(2 Thess. 2:15)

***I praise you because you remember me in everything and hold fast to the traditions, just as I handed them on to you. ***
(1 Cor. 11:2)

The New Testament came from the Catholic Church - not the other way around and the traditions were handed down by the Church. Nobody else can claim that.

elvisman;3750409]**
Originally Posted by justasking4
I didn’t clain that it is “impossible for something to have happened because it’s not in scripture” but that scripture never mentions such a thing. It may be true or it may be not. You cannot claim to know it happened since there is no record of it.

elvisman
That’s my whole point. As Catholics, we have the deposit of faith. This includes scripture and tradition based on authority. Not every tradition is written down.**

If this is the case about traditions not being written down then how do you determine a true tradition from a false one?

[quote]elvisman
Remember what St. Paul said:
So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word of mouth or by letter from us.
(2 Thess. 2:15)

I praise you because you remember me in everything and hold fast to the traditions, just as I handed them on to you.
(1 Cor. 11:2)

I agree that the apostles said and did other things as did Jesus that is not recorded. The problem is that there is no way to know exactly what these things were unless they were written down. Oral sayings by nature have a short life span and are easily corrupted.

elvisman
The New Testament came from the Catholic Church - not the other way around and the traditions were handed down by the Church. Nobody else can claim that.

The NT is the written record of the some things in the life of Christ and the what some of the apostles taught and did. Now if you mean the traditions are these written Scriptures then I agree. If you are saying that some kind of oral teachings or writings not in the canon of the NT is also this tradition then how can you know what they are if there is no written record of it?
[/quote]

I disagree with that statement.

How long after the events which are recorded in the book of Genesis happened, that were they written down?

The Native American Indian story tellers were able to pass down their tales for thousands of years, most of the tribes had no written language.

lets see what the Bible says.

But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is **the church **of the living God, **the pillar and ground of the truth. **

25 But there are also many other things which Jesus did; which, if they were written every one, the world itself, I think, would not be able to contain the books that should be written.

So the first quote says trust the Church, and the second says not everything is written down, so that leads you to trust the pillar and ground of truth.The Church founded by Christ. God doesn’t make mistakes.Peace

This is where you either believe in the authority that Jesus gave the Church or you dismiss it. (Matt 16:15-19, Matt. 18:15-18, Luke 10:16, John 16:13-15)
Unfortunately for Protestants, dismissing this truth has led to thousands of independent entities - each with their own “truth”.

Do you just believe what the leaders of the catholic church say and leave it at that or do you look at the reasons for the claims?
Would it concern you if they said something that could not be backed up with some kind of support?

It is no where in the Bible. It is what our strong tradittion tells us.

Bwavenit;3753738]*
Originally Posted by justasking4
The NT is the written record of the some things in the life of Christ and the what some of the apostles taught and did. Now if you mean the traditions are these written Scriptures then I agree. If you are saying that some kind of oral teachings or writings not in the canon of the NT is also this tradition then how can you know what they are if there is no written record of it?

Bwavenit;
lets see what the Bible says*.

But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is **the church **of the living God, **the pillar and ground of the truth. **

25 But there are also many other things which Jesus did; which, if they were written every one, the world itself, I think, would not be able to contain the books that should be written.

*So the first quote says trust the Church, *
Where does it say in the first quote to trust the church?

[quote]
and the second says not everything is written down, so that leads you to trust the pillar and ground of truth.The Church founded by Christ.

I understand you trust the church. Most catholics say this. However, where are explict examples of what Jesus said and did that is not in the written scriptures?

God doesn’t make mistakes.Peace

I agree. However men do and it is men who head the church.
[/quote]

Jesus said it - I believe it.
**St. Augustine said, **“I would not believe in the Gospel myself if the authority of the Catholic Church did not influence me to do so.” Against the letter of Mani, 5,6, 397 A.D.
In 2000 years since Jesus founded it, the Catholic Church has not taught faulty doctrine or dogma.

The stations of the cross are based on scripture and tradition. If there is a tradition that Jesus saw his mother on the way to his crucifixion, I believe that it probably happened. Since not everything was written down, some things were passed down by oral tradition.

“pillar of Truth” pretty much sums it up. Why would not trust something that isn’t true?

The problem here is that the Church itself nowhere declares that we need believe in Veronica or that Mary met Jesus on the road to Calvary, nor in the three falls nor any of the other extrascriptural aspects of the Stations of the Cross.

True, Veronica was declared a saint, but that was by popular acclaim well before canonisations became a matter of infallible Papal or Magisterial teaching.

i disagree Jesus is the head.
Matthew 16

18 And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Acts Of Apostles 9

4 And falling on the ground, he heard a voice saying to him: Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?

Acts Of Apostles 8

3 But Saul made havock of the church, entering in from house to house, and dragging away men and women, committed them to prison

as for explict examples all those were abandoned by the protestants during the de/reformation, i’m not sure if anyone bothered to keep a list. it’s just what the Holy Spirit has guided the Church thru the last couple thousand years.
Peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.