Is there a conditional and a general will of God?

Was Roe vs Wade the will of God as a punishment for not doing his will in the first place? Would it be against his will to overturn it or wait till He decides to end it–that is, would it be against His will, if he were trying to still correct us and teach us a lesson? Obviously, come voting time, we must vote pro-life (if pushing for some negative eugenics would be on one candidate’s platform or on a proposition) as an obligation. That would mean God wills it. If we can vote that eugenics leader out of office or vote against a pro-eugenics bill or proposition, we know we must try and then we’ll find out if it’s still God’s will. Still, it would have to be in God’s general will we don’t kill the unborn or the life-support patients. I wonder how that goes.

I’ve never heard the terms “conditional” and “general” will of God - but I have heard of His ordaining Will (His commands) and His permitting Will (what He allows for the good of our souls in the long run).

See this commentary by Mother Angelica:

Excerpts from TWO WILLS—HIS AND MINE

Many ask the question, “How do I know this is God’s Will for me?” The answer is simply, "If it is happening, it is God’s will. It is not relevant whether it is His ordaining or permitting Will, nothing happens to us that He has not seen beforehand, pondered the good we would derive from it and put upon it His stamp of approval.
-Mother Angelica

Thanks! I just made up whatever terms I could think of that might fit what I was thinking of. I was thinking sin could be a condition for an alternate will for a nation or person, though it’s not what He wishes for us (general will). I guess He would be trying to bring us back to his wishes for us as much as possible for our fallen selves. Maybe permissive will is the void we make by our sin’s interference and God allows it, but gives us cues for getting back to Him.

Knowing what to do, with my worrisome personality, is what troubles me. I get surrounded by unbelievers and don’t know what and how I’m supposed to say or not say and I end up resenting being in that company unless, I guess, the person is mild-mannered and very conservative, socially–one or ones who won’t put me in dilemmas. I’m afraid I’ll screw it up in person. I get frustrated after so many dilemmas in this apostate world and feel safe ranting here, though I shouldn’t and I feel guilty then too about some of my posts. I feel I need an outlet somewhere and, unfortunately, I’m angry about being in situations I don’t know how to handle or if I should handle them at all and that plus the relative anonymity overrides my non-confrontational ways in person . It can’t be God’s wishes I take care of them here so much. This (whatever dilemma/stress) is God’s will? Great, now what do I do? It’s probably pride I’m concerned about doing anything, but I’m too busy licking my wounds to remember to pray to God about it. I don’t despair salvation as anything’s possible, but I sometimes despair of being much good.

I’m pretty melancholic (with a light-hearted side when it’s provoked) and so I lose trust in priests who play with the Mass or wear plain-clothes to tell me His will. It should be prayer and put in God’s hands, but I feel I need vocal or written answers. I’m on the verge of just joining a religious community that may have fallen into corniness, but which is loyal to the Magisterium, so as to feel secure from the worst kind of dilemmas. That may lighten me up–that is, not having a burden on my shoulders. Looking like one who’d preach (monk/friar clothes as I don’t see myself in clerical clothes) would likely make it easier. I’m 33 and so time is running out for thinking about it.

I’m sure there are other very insecure people here who may feel the same. I admit it. I am insecure. I’m an idealist, who never got balanced by any strong clerics or lay people because I’ve had trouble knowing of any in my early years. The '60s and '70s started many out in that void. Even my idealism may not be natural, but a symptom of insecurity.
Thanks again!

Excellent quotation from Mother Angelica and explanation of the all pervasive Will of God in our lives. It is ever present and never absent. It speaks to what St. Paul said “all things work together for those that love God”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.