Is there a correct day to read the mysteries of the rosary?

I was just wondering if there is a specific day you’re supposed to read each of the mysteries of the rosary? For example, am I supposed to read the Glorious mysteries on the third, the Joyful mysteries on the fourth? :shrug: Does it make a difference? If I pray the rosary daily, should I spend a week contemplating one set of mysteries before moving on or does it matter? :shrug:

There are recommended days for the various Mysteries. However, as the Rosary is a private devotion you can pray it whatever way you want so yes you could spend a week contemplating one set of Mysteries.

Also, certain days of the week call for certain mysteries, once you’re up to speed. Here they are:

Joyful Mysteries- Mondays, Saturdays

Sorrowful Mysteries- Tuesdays, Fridays

Glorious Mysteries- Wednesdays, Sundays

Mysteries of Light (sometimes called Luminous)- Thursdays

Okay I copied this from another thread that I read only after posting my question. But I’ve never heard about the luminous mysteries! I have three booklets and none of them have the Luminous mysteries in them. Are my books wrong or are the Luminous mysteries not “officially” aprroved?

The Luminous Mysteries were given to us by the Holy Father, Pope John Paul II, on 10/16/2002. The three booklets that you have were probably published before that date.
God bless you,
Jim

The luminous mysteries were established by Pope John Paul II in his papal encyclical Rosarium Virginis Mariae on Oct. 16, 2002. They were encouraged with the usual recitation of the rosary.

As you can see the three old Mysteries (Joyful, Sorrowful and Glorious) Mysteries get to be said twice per week and the Luminous once.

Are there any here who use, for example, the Seven Dolours of the Blessed Virgin Mary Rosary (has seven decades) once per week rather than doubling up on the standard Mysteries… or some other version of the Rosary rather than double up on the standard Mysteries? The Seven Dolours (Sorrows) Mysteries are also based on the New Testament, in relation to the lives of Our Lord and Our Lady. There is also a Seven Joys version.

Hope this isn’t too confusing. Cheers, Rove

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.