Is there a difference between a Rosary and a Chaplet?

I know the prayers are different, but I am talking about physically. I have been using my Rosary to pray the Divine Mercy chaplet. Is that ok? I am getting into Rosary making, and I hear people say Chaplets and Rosaries, indicating that they are made differently. Any help would be appreciated :).

A chaplet is any form of prayer beads. A Rosary is a particular form of chaplet - being divided into five (or fifteen or twenty - or one!) decades of ten Hail Marys each with a bead between each decade.

The form of beads is the same for other prayers using this formula, like the Divine Mercy, but the Divine Mercy can’t be called a Rosary (it isn’t composed of Hail Marys). And of course the beads vary depending on the number of prayers one says. A St Therese chaplet consists of 24 Glory Bes and a few additional prayers, so it simply has 24 beads as the main body of the chaplet - why would it do otherwise?

There is nothing wrong with using a Rosary to say the Divine Mercy Chaplet. There are many chaplets that have the same pattern of 5 sets of 10 beads with 3 additional beads,a crucifix and a medal and to me, it is a plus that I can use my Rosary and not have to get a different set of beads to help me keep count.

There are other chaplets which are different, such as the Chaplet of the Seven Sorrows of Mary which have 7 sets of 7 beads, with 3 additional beads and a crucifix. Or the Chaplet of Two Hearts which has 5 sets of 4 beads.

I have found that unless I have memorized the particular chaplet, I am consulting my booklet far too much and not meditating on the mystery. If you are looking for a devotion, it would be best, imo, to select one or two and stick to them rather than chop and change all the time.

If, however, you are making rosaries or chaplet beads, it would be good to know more.

Here is a good starting point:
campus.udayton.edu/mary//resources/chaplet.html

Well, I only pray the Rosary and the Divine Mercy chaplet. Ok, so a Rosary is just a specific time of Chaplet, gotcha. Thanks guys :).

Rosaries are a subset of the set of chaplets:D

And the word “rosary” is applied to any number of chaplets that use a string of HMs as the body of the rosary. The 5/15/20 decade Rosary most often used is the Dominican Rosary. Franciscans have a 7 decade Rosary, The Rosary of the Poor Souls is sometimes only 4 decades . The Briggitine Rosary is 6 decades.

Lots of good chaplets out there. Try them out and see which ones you like to repeat often

:amen: I don’t say the others nearly as often as I’d like though, having made a commitment to the Franciscan Crown, the Dominican Rosary and the Divine Mercy.

Yup, same three for me.:yup:

And for most of our Franciscan brothers and sisters, I’d imagine :wink:

I use the rosary on weekdays with the exception of Saturday where I have started saying the dolours chaplet of the BVM:thumbsup:

Well, to say all the prayers I would want to say in a day, I would have to be retired. As it is, I have time constraints from abject, humble service to my cats, working at the Post Office, two hours a day for AA, sleeping, and eating. Plus wanting to read a lot of spiritual books and listen to spiritual music.:frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.