Is there a difference between the Eucharist and the Blessed Sacrament?

I was talking today with a friend about retreats and what you do on retreats. I mentioned that one of my friends had meditation over the Blessed Sacrament at her retreat. My friend proceeded to ask what the difference was between the Eucharist and the Blessed Sacrament. I didn’t know, so now I’m asking you. Is there any difference between the Eucharist we receive and the Blessed Sacrament over which we meditate?

Thanks so much,
Eamon

The Eucharist and the Blessed Sacrament are one in the same. Now…keep in mind they are both one in the same…but I have heard people refer to them by different titles in different situations, such as…if you are about to go to Communion, then you are about to receive the “Eucharist”…and when you are entering the Cathedral for Mass, you kneel before the blessed Sacrament that is present in the tabernacle…but it is all one in the same. God Bless

[quote=turboEDvo]I was talking today with a friend about retreats and what you do on retreats. I mentioned that one of my friends had meditation over the Blessed Sacrament at her retreat. My friend proceeded to ask what the difference was between the Eucharist and the Blessed Sacrament. I didn’t know, so now I’m asking you. Is there any difference between the Eucharist we receive and the Blessed Sacrament over which we meditate?

Thanks so much,
Eamon
[/quote]

There isn’t much of a difference, but only that receiving the Eucharist allows us to internalize Him. It gives us an extra special closeness for about 15 min. Veneration to the Blessed Sacrament is also very good. One can obtain many an indulgence through prayer.
God Bless–JMJ
Laura :slight_smile:

closed #4

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.