Is there a distinction between Low and High Mass since 1969?

Friends :),

At the local cathedral, 7:30 AM Sunday Mass is entirely lacking in music and chant. I do not believe the crucifix processes up or down the aisle, and there is a distinct absence of incense. Is this actually a difference in the ‘type’ of Mass, or is it just called “Mass” without all the ‘bells and whistles’? :wink:

The distinction must be made, since the 1962 Form has “High” and “Low” Mass. Does the newer rite have this?

No, there is no distinction. But everything you had mentioned is optional in the O.F., so the celebrant seems to choosing not to do that which is optional.

I remember serving such a Mass when I was an altar boy in the 70’s. We had an elderly Msgr living at our parish, and he said Mass every day at 8:00am. What was interesting was that our parish had an 8:30am Mass. Msgr was done in about 20 min. I was a real challenge keep up with him as a server.

In the Missal of 1969 and following, there is no distinction of Solemn High Mass, Sung Mass, or Low Mass. The rites simply describe Mass with a Deacon, Mass without a Deacon, and Mass with only one minister (server). And nothing in these ever requires or forbids the use of chant, incense, and the like. A priest is free to mix and match “high” and “low” type elements in any Mass on any given day. But I would think it would be a appropriate in casual speech to refer to a parish’s “quiet” Mass as Low Mass, a parish’s Choir Mass as a Sung Mass, and a Mass with Choir, Deacon, and Incense as a Solemn Mass. It’s just not any official distinction.

In our area they do call, unofficially perhaps, a Mass with all the bells, smells and music a “Solemn Mass”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.