Is there a hell?

Are these true catholic teachings?

After I read this article it sounded like there is no hell for the wicked. Is this true?

catholicquest.info/study1/study1ch3.htm

Better to operate under the assumption there is, and try to avoid it, than to find out the hard way that there is…

And yes, the Catholic Church DOES teach that there is a hell, and that it is possible to end up there. It’s kind of an inevitable outcome if you purposely and grievously separate yourself off from God, and reject his infinite mercy. Or in the more typical formulation, if you die in a state of mortal sin and are unrepentant.

[quote=kev7]Are these true catholic teachings?

After I read this article it sounded like there is no hell for the wicked. Is this true?

catholicquest.info/study1/study1ch3.htm
[/quote]

Dear kev7:

I read a bit of the article–it was difficult to tolerate!

Lucifer is going to Hell. He knows it. He will lose his powers at The Second Coming. Hell is eternal for Lucifer and those whom have succumbed to Lucifer being bent on taking all he can with him.

Hell is real. Hell is eternal. The powers of Lucifer are mortal. The article neglects what is written, infallibly with respect to faith and to morals, within the Baltimore Cat. No. 4, which corresponds to questions in No. 1, and No. 2. You might read it sometime. It is very clear. Tan Books Publishers have a copy available.

Most sincerely,

Kristopher

I think a good way of thinking about it is that when we die we are given a choice for or against God. Against God means to be isolated from him. That sounds pretty hellish to me! If you think about it in these terms, ie Hell is turning away from God, does it make more sense?

I agree with your responses. I just found it to be very misleading since the site is called cathloicquest.

The only good thing about it is that it points out the fact that when we die we wait for christ to return.

The positive outlook is that we should live our lives reaching for the goal of imortality. The negative outlook is based on the fear of going to hell.

I think that far more can be accomplished if you want imortality with christ then if you fear hell.

Never trust a web site that doesn’t have at least an “about us” section.

This is from Pius IX’s Encyclical Quanto Conficiam Moerore (better rely on secure sources)
7. Here, too, our beloved sons and venerable brothers, it is again necessary to mention and censure a very grave error entrapping some Catholics who believe that it is possible to arrive at eternal salvation although living in error and alienated from the true faith and Catholic unity. Such belief is certainly opposed to Catholic teaching. There are, of course, those who are struggling with invincible ignorance about our most holy religion. Sincerely observing the natural law and its precepts inscribed by God on all hearts and ready to obey God, they live honest lives and are able to attain eternal life by the efficacious virtue of divine light and grace. Because God knows, searches and clearly understands the minds, hearts, thoughts, and nature of all, his supreme kindness and clemency do not permit anyone at all who is not guilty of deliberate sin to suffer eternal punishments.

1. Also well known is the Catholic teaching that no one can be saved outside the Catholic Church. Eternal salvation cannot be obtained by those who oppose the authority and statements of the same Church and are stubbornly separated from the unity of the Church and also from the successor of Peter, the Roman Pontiff, to whom “the custody of the vineyard has been committed by the Savior.”[4] The words of Christ are clear enough: “If he refuses to listen even to the Church, let him be to you a Gentile and a tax collector;”[5] “He who hears you hears me, and he who rejects you, rejects me, and he who rejects me, rejects him who sent me;”[6] “He who does not believe will be condemned;”[7] “He who does not believe is already condemned;”[8] “He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters.”[9] The Apostle Paul says that such persons are “perverted and self-condemned;”[10] the Prince of the Apostles calls them “false teachers . . . who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master. . . bringing upon themselves swift destruction.”[11] 9. God forbid that the children of the Catholic Church should even in any way be unfriendly to those who are not at all united to us by the same bonds of faith and love. On the contrary, let them be eager always to attend to their needs with all the kind services of Christian charity, whether they are poor or sick or suffering any other kind of visitation. First of all, let them rescue them from the darkness of the errors into which they have unhappily fallen and strive to guide them back to Catholic truth and to their most loving Mother who is ever holding out her maternal arms to receive them lovingly back into her fold. Thus, firmly founded in faith, hope, and charity and fruitful in every good work, they will gain eternal salvation.
    papalencyclicals.net/Pius09/p9quanto.htm

Thank goodness, however, that this did not directly apply to history’s many false teachings given by the Church and any of her corrupt popes. The Church expends much energy explaining such things away, defining them into oblivion and playing games with words in order to justify where she has indeed erred. Matters of faith and morals are so few and far between it is nearly impossible to nail down a single absolute anywhere among the millions of pages of canon law, dogma, doctrine, encyclicals, bulls, “suggestions,” memos, and any other form of communication imaginable. It is hard to take seriously any “authority” which claims outside of itself there is no salvation, backtracks to correct this by coming up with “invincible ignorance,” and keeps its membership going via the emphasis of the countless sins of Man and all the little song and dances we can do just the right way, at the right times of the year, under just exactly these or those conditions – all to obliterate our culpability for them. It is quite ludicrous when you look at it. And to suggest it is much beyond fear that drives such desires is another kind of bull altogether. So what lately are we to believe about Hell? Lately is the key word. The Church has changed many times on many matters. It just doesn’t admit it.

I have been reading An Excorcist Tells His Story by Father Gabriele Amorth and it says that, one demon, after learning its name and breaking its power and ability to lie that it was Satan and the Demons who made hell, not God. Therefore those who willingly break with god and sin against his will, as did Satan and the fallen angels, it makes sense that they would go to hell.

-RoBo_Hobo

Dear kev7:

You might be right. We do have imortality with Christ. Our body stays on earth at one point or it goes to Heaven. At some point we get, not become, but get a Glorious Body and this at some point is united with the body. Am I correct?

I think that you find a good focus, when considering what to do in life, and how to do it, when we focus not on fear, but on benefits of our faith. I think that is the point that you meant to get across to others.

I would like to further myself, and others by saying: We ought to not sin, but avoid sin and all near occasions of sin not only for the reason we fear God’s just punishments: The loss of our salvation as it may be, but also because we love God, who art all good and deserving of our love.

Additionally, what wrong is there in fearing Hell? It in fact, I think, could be seen in one of The Beatitudes: “…Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteosness,…”

Most sincerely,

Kristopher

The best way for Satan to win in this Cultural war is for him to water down the Truth and make you believe in nothing, not even Satan himself. It is simple…if you believe in Satan then you HAVE to believe in God.

Satan tugs on our inner emotions and his demons whisper in our ears (through articles like this) questions wuch as what will happen to our parents, friends, etc, if some people are going to hell.

Remember God is real, and so is Satan. Not only that but Satan’s temptation is very real too and he has enough control over this sad world to see to it that “learned” articles like that get published, do not be fooled.

The CCC states:

1033 We cannot be united with God unless we freely choose to love him. But we cannot love God if we sin gravely against him, against our neighbor or against ourselves: "He who does not love remains in death. Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him."612 Our Lord warns us that we shall be separated from him if we fail to meet the serious needs of the poor and the little ones who are his brethren.613 To die in mortal sin without repenting and accepting God’s merciful love means remaining separated from him for ever by our own free choice. This state of definitive self-exclusion from communion with God and the blessed is called “hell.”

1034 Jesus often speaks of “Gehenna” of “the unquenchable fire” reserved for those who to the end of their lives refuse to believe and be converted, where both soul and body can be lost.614 Jesus solemnly proclaims that he "will send his angels, and they will gather . . . all evil doers, and throw them into the furnace of fire,"615 and that he will pronounce the condemnation: "Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire!"616 1035 The teaching of the Church affirms the existence of hell and its eternity. Immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of hell, "eternal fire."617 The chief punishment of hell is eternal separation from God, in whom alone man can possess the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs.

Make no mistake, the Church believes in the existence of hell and that it will be populated.

Peace,

MilesJesu

[quote=Kristopher]Dear kev7:

You might be right. We do have imortality with Christ. Our body stays on earth at one point or it goes to Heaven. At some point we get, not become, but get a Glorious Body and this at some point is united with the body. Am I correct?

I think that you find a good focus, when considering what to do in life, and how to do it, when we focus not on fear, but on benefits of our faith. I think that is the point that you meant to get across to others.

I would like to further myself, and others by saying: We ought to not sin, but avoid sin and all near occasions of sin not only for the reason we fear God’s just punishments: The loss of our salvation as it may be, but also because we love God, who art all good and deserving of our love.

Additionally, what wrong is there in fearing Hell? It in fact, I think, could be seen in one of The Beatitudes: “…Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteosness,…”

Most sincerely,

Kristopher
[/quote]

When I live my life I try to focus on the prize and I do that through faith. When you have faith you have no fear of hell and you wait for the return of jesus. It is his mercy that will grant you eternal life when you die. I like to think that he will play a major role in your resurection and it will be a very personal experience full of love.

Jesus says that the kingdom of God is like a rich man who sells his entire pearl collection just to own that one special pearl… That man has the thirst for etneral life and it is his faith that will grant him salvation.

Do you eat because you are hungry or because you are afraid of starving?

I honestly think that the prize of eternal life pushes a person to do far more good then the fear of hell. The fear of hell is a selfish way of living your life. When all that you seek is eternal life with christ then you will do everything that God asks and you will do it with all manner of enthusiasm.

[quote=Kristopher]Dear kev7:

Most sincerely,

Kristopher
[/quote]

When I live my life I try to focus on the prize and I do that through faith. When you have faith you have no fear of hell and you wait for the return of jesus. It is his mercy that will grant you eternal life when you die. I like to think that he will play a major role in your resurection and it will be a very personal experience full of love.

Jesus says that the kingdom of God is like a rich man who sells his entire pearl collection just to own that one special pearl… That man has the thirst for etneral life and it is his faith that will grant him salvation.

Do you eat because you are hungry or because you are afraid of starving?

I honestly think that the prize of eternal life pushes a person to do far more good then the fear of hell. The fear of hell is a selfish way of living your life. When all that you seek is eternal life with christ then you will do everything that God asks and you will do it with all manner of enthusiasm.

Sin is the product of someone who has lost sight of eternal life.
It is sin that can paralyze you and stop you from reaching your goal. That is why it is important to reconcile your sins with God.
You do that not because you fear your punishment but because you want the gift of eternal life.

I think that the gift of eternal life should drive a person mad with the holy spirt. How can it not? There is no greater prize in existance.

The website is not Catholic. For more information, go here.

Based on this message board discussion, it would appear that this site is some clerverly concocted website put up by some Adventist spin-off sect.

Weird.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.