Is there a mistake in paragraph 29 of the Catechism of the Catholic Church?

Paragraph 29 of the CCC states: “But this ‘intimate and vital bond of man to God’ (GS 19,1) can be forgotten, overlooked, or even explicitly rejected by man. Such attitudes can have different causes: revolt against evil in the world; religious ignorance or indifference; the cares and riches of this world; the scandal of bad example on the part of believers; currents of thought hostile to religion; finally , that attitude of sinful man which makes him hide form God out of feat and flee his call.” My problem is that I do not know how to make sense out of, “revolt against evil in the world.” The rest of the text makes perfect sense to me. Please help me understand.

That Catechism paragraph is referencing Gaudium et Spes 19-20:

Moreover, atheism results not rarely from a violent protest against the evil in this world, or from the absolute character with which certain human values are unduly invested, and which thereby already accords them the stature of God. Modern civilization itself often complicates the approach to God not for any essential reason but because it is so heavily engrossed in earthly affairs…
…Not to be overlooked among the forms of modern atheism is that which anticipates the liberation of man especially through his economic and social emancipation. This form argues that by its nature religion thwarts this liberation by arousing man’s hope for a deceptive future life, thereby diverting him from the constructing of the earthly city. Consequently when the proponents of this doctrine gain governmental power they vigorously fight against religion, and promote atheism by using, especially in the education of youth, those means of pressure which public power has at its disposal.

It is saying that some individuals recognize the evil in the world and in the human heart and mistakenly lay that blame on the idea of God or religion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.