Is there a prayer or saint specifically for the mentally ill?

I work in a Catholic hospital, and just a couple weeks ago I was discharged from a hospital in the same system after a suicide attempt got me admitted into their psych ward. I underwent ECT treatments, which seemed to work, although the antidepressant they put me on is proving to be mostly useless. I’ve also been undergoing further ECT outside the hospital on an outpatient basis. Sometimes I feel good, a lot of times I don’t. I’m still far from completing the full amount of ECT considered therapeutic.

The thing is, no one seems to know how to deal with me or pray for me in anything but a generalized manner. There seems to be plenty of spiritual support and prayers for the physically ill, but not as much for the mentally ill. Is there anything I can pray on my rosary or a saint that is the patron of the mentally ill, so that I no longer feel so ignored or alone?

I’m sorry to hear about the problems you’ve been suffering with depression, and I’m encouraged to see that you are receiving medical attention (I presume that you have spoken to your doctor about the disappointing results of your medication). Please know that you are in my prayers.

The patron saint of those suffering from mental health problems as well as afflictions of the nervous system is St. Dymphna (a.k.a. Dympna and Dimpna). Generally speaking, familiarity with this saint has been sparse down through the ages, but devotions to her have increased in recent times due to a greater awareness of mental health issues.

Here are some links that may prove useful to you:

The way to pronounce this name: howjsay: Dymphna

Brief biographies about her:
Catholic Online: St. Dymphna.
New Advent: St. Dymphna

Devotions to St. Dymphna:
A Prayer to St. Dymphna
Nine Days of Prayer to St. Dymphna

Catholic Answers Social Groups (dedicated to St. Dymphna):
St. Dymphna, Pray for Us
St. Dymphna – Prayer Association Union

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.