Is there a prayer to ask for indulgences?

I know that in order to receive an indulgence, it must be asked for. For example, is there a specific prayer that should be said to ask for the indulgence or is it enough to say something like, “I pray that a partial indulgence be granted to the souls in purgatory / to me.” ?

1 Like

I start my day off with this morning offering prayer:
O Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer You my prayers, works, joys and sufferings of this day for all the intentions of Your Sacred Heart, in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world, in reparation for my sins, for the intentions of all my relatives and friends, and in particular for the intentions of the Holy Father.
I wish to gain all the indulgences attached to the prayers I
shall say and the good works I shall perform this day. Amen.

There’s also St. Gertrude’s prayer:

1 Like

There are a couple of good links in this recent post regarding indulgences.

The Manual of Indulgences is a trove of information, available from that link above, thanks to @Tis_Bearself

I say a similar prayer to the Morning Offering posted above, every day, and it contains a line something like “O Jesus, today I wish to obtain every indulgence and merit I can.”

That covers everything I do for the day including stuff I might not realize has an indulgence at the time I do it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate the resources and information everyone has provided. I feel much better with guidance knowing that my prayers will be effective.

Have the intention to gain indulgences. If you forget to say a prayer in the morning asking for them it doesn’t mean you won’t get them. Every month I entrust any indulgences I may gain to the Blessed Virgin Mary to dispense as she thinks fit.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.