Is there a prep for anointing of the sick?

My 6 year old will be having tubes placed in his ears as well as an adenoidectomy in the next few weeks. Since he’s going to be put under anesthesia for the surgery, I want him to receive the anointing of the sick.

He’s not yet received first reconciliation or first Eucharist.

Is there anything we need to do or bring with us for the sacrament? I’m sure my church will tell me once they’ve scheduled it with the priest, but my curiosity is not usually very patient! :wink:

Thanks for your input!

[quote="BeeSweet, post:1, topic:309637"]
My 6 year old will be having tubes placed in his ears as well as an adenoidectomy in the next few weeks. Since he's going to be put under anesthesia for the surgery, I want him to receive the anointing of the sick.

He's not yet received first reconciliation or first Eucharist.

Is there anything we need to do or bring with us for the sacrament? I'm sure my church will tell me once they've scheduled it with the priest, but my curiosity is not usually very patient! ;)

Thanks for your input!

[/quote]

The Anointing of the Sick is only given to those having the use of reason. Age six is below the age of eight so it would not be normal. The primary effect of Anointing of the Sick is spiritual healing, so one who has not sinned has no need of this sacrament. The sacraments are not to be given without effect, so only those who have committed some actual sin are able to receive this sacrament.
The anointing of the sick can be administered to any member of the faithful who, having reached the use of reason, begins to be in danger of death by reason of illness or old age. (CIC Can. 1004.1)

Thank you for your reply. There is an exception for children:

One who has not reached the age of reason. Those who have not reached the age of reason, or never had its use, may not be anointed. However, a child may not have reached the normal age of First Confession and First Communion, the typical application of the “age of reason” standard, but still may show enough use of the faculty to understand what is taking place and benefit from the sacrament. This could also be the case with a mentally challenged individual. Doubt about whether the person has sufficiently use of reason would be decided in favor of the sick person (c.1005).

source

My son will be 7 years old in four months, and he’s in his first year of sacrament prep. He is learning what sin is, what the sacraments are, and has an expressed yearning for the Holy Eucharist. I feel he would benefit from having the sacrament, especially with regard to the fear and anxiety he has about the surgery (a spiritual need). Obviously, I also want the prayers of the faithful for his health and full recovery. This is the first time he will be put under anesthesia, and any time anyone goes through anesthesia there is a danger. He doesn’t know that, but he does know that they will be cutting his ear drum and placing a tube in it. He has expressed some fear about that part of the surgery. I believe that receiving the sacrament for him will strengthen his relationship to the church, his love of Christ, and give him relief from fear and anxiety.

[quote="BeeSweet, post:3, topic:309637"]
Thank you for your reply. There is an exception for children:
source

My son will be 7 years old in four months, and he's in his first year of sacrament prep. He is learning what sin is, what the sacraments are, and has an expressed yearning for the Holy Eucharist. I feel he would benefit from having the sacrament, especially with regard to the fear and anxiety he has about the surgery (a spiritual need). Obviously, I also want the prayers of the faithful for his health and full recovery. This is the first time he will be put under anesthesia, and any time anyone goes through anesthesia there is a danger. He doesn't know that, but he does know that they will be cutting his ear drum and placing a tube in it. He has expressed some fear about that part of the surgery. I believe that receiving the sacrament for him will strengthen his relationship to the church, his love of Christ, and give him relief from fear and anxiety.

[/quote]

Surely if the infant (or the retarded person) has sufficient use of reason to be strengthened, then it should be administered.

Can. 1005 This sacrament is to be administered in a case of doubt whether the sick person has attained the use of reason, is dangerously ill, or is dead.

BeeSweet, I'll be praying for your little boy!

[quote="Mrs_Sally, post:5, topic:309637"]
BeeSweet, I'll be praying for your little boy!

[/quote]

Thank you, I couldn't ask for better preparation than that!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.