Is there a protestant conspiracy on this site

Why is it that every question which is asked on this site, seems to be attacked by anti- Catholics. It seems to me most of the questions seem to really want a genuine Catholic answer that will lead them to truth, but just when one seems close to doing just that someone tosses in a lie that cannot be contradicted without writing a short dissertation to explain why the lie is a lie. And to top that off just when one lie is dispelled 3 more or tossed into the mix.

tdandh26

I have noticed many examples of what you are referring to. I think you’ll find that the VAST majority of posts on this site are genuine and mostly come from Catholics.

Unfortunately the “freedom of speech” we enjoy means people are free to say whatever they want even if it is complete rubbish. The people that use such lies only aid our cause and strengthen our faith by showing us how absurd some non Catholic argument have become just to discredit us. By using such arguments these people only embarrass themselves and make us more credible by comparison.

Let them say what ever they want, they will be their own undoing.

In Christ
Anthony

I don’t know. I would perfer to hear about any compaints on the Catholic Church here ( no matter how obsurd) so I can hear a good compitent reply rather than go out and think I know the issue thoroughly and get something thrown into what I thought was a well organized and well thought out Idea.

[quote=tdandh26]Why is it that every question which is asked on this site, seems to be attacked by anti- Catholics. It seems to me most of the questions seem to really want a genuine Catholic answer that will lead them to truth, but just when one seems close to doing just that someone tosses in a lie that cannot be contradicted without writing a short dissertation to explain why the lie is a lie. And to top that off just when one lie is dispelled 3 more or tossed into the mix.
[/quote]

As a Protestant I feel that a lot of the posts on this forum are not authentic. There are too many posts by so called ex-Protestants.I feel that you have people that are delibertly making up the posts to try to convince Evangelicals that the majority of Protestants are finally seeing the light and coming back to the Roman church. When I watch EWTN there are countless numbers of these so-called ex-Protestants on various programs bemoaning how they wasted all their time in Evangelical churches. Catholic programs now use Protestant words like “born again” to mislead minimal Protestants to think that the Catholic definition of “being born again” is equal to the Protestant equivalent. I get the feeling that it is all one great big propaganda machine. The Catholic church fears Evangelicals more than any other force on earth. I do not believe that Evangelicals were ever asked to join Pope John Paul when he met with various religious leaders. A person who has truly been “born again” is never going to join the Catholic church. However the Bible does say that in the last days that even “the Elect” would be deceived and we Evangelicals are “the Elect” so it is possible I suppose that some could be deceived by “seducing spirits”.

I would submit to you that if that so called born again person began to study the history of Christianity he would convert to Catholosism. I could go as far as to say that once a person begins to study history and starts finding out the things he feared his ego will be the first thing to respond. But, if that person continues his search then satan will attempt to dissuade him. For without a doubt satan’s greatest fear is people returning faithfully to the very sacrements which caused him the greatest torments immediately following Christs death on the cross. Satan aint stupid and he full well knows where salvation lies.

[quote=tdandh26]Why is it that every question which is asked on this site, seems to be attacked by anti- Catholics. It seems to me most of the questions seem to really want a genuine Catholic answer that will lead them to truth, but just when one seems close to doing just that someone tosses in a lie that cannot be contradicted without writing a short dissertation to explain why the lie is a lie. And to top that off just when one lie is dispelled 3 more or tossed into the mix.
[/quote]

tdandh26:

I wouldn’t call it a conspiracy - I would call it “Hardness of Heart” coupled with a refusal to submit to authority. Please understand, the second a Protestant begins to admit the truth of Catholic Doctrine, that Protestant has to begin admitting that validity of the Authority that producted that truth.

Once that’s happened, it becomes harder to discount the truth of the Catholic Faith or to resist the Teaching Authority of the Catholic Church.

The way to avoid that is to derail the conversation just about the time it looks like someone is going to have to admit to some truth of the Catholic Faith.

Instead of replying to the lie, State that the lie is just that and then ask what is keeping them from admitting the truth that is now becoming so obvious.

“Hardness of Heart” is a Spiritual and an emotional disease. It has to be dealt with on that realm. That means PRAYER.

In Christ, Michael

alfie

I agree with you, the Church is afraid of “evangelicals”, it truly afraid that warped concepts of Christianity are defiling the true teachings of Christ. It is afraid that every day evangelicals are drawing naïve people away from the true word of God in favor of an “easier” less conformist and more liberal concept of Christianity, that is dependant upon an individuals opinions and interpretation rather than those of Christ and the Apostles.

In Christ
Anthony

[quote=Alfie]As a Protestant I feel that a lot of the posts on this forum are not authentic. There are too many posts by so called ex-Protestants.I feel that you have people that are delibertly making up the posts to try to convince Evangelicals that the majority of Protestants are finally seeing the light and coming back to the Roman church. When I watch EWTN there are countless numbers of these so-called ex-Protestants on various programs bemoaning how they wasted all their time in Evangelical churches. Catholic programs now use Protestant words like “born again” to mislead minimal Protestants to think that the Catholic definition of “being born again” is equal to the Protestant equivalent. I get the feeling that it is all one great big propaganda machine. The Catholic church fears Evangelicals more than any other force on earth. I do not believe that Evangelicals were ever asked to join Pope John Paul when he met with various religious leaders. A person who has truly been “born again” is never going to join the Catholic church. However the Bible does say that in the last days that even “the Elect” would be deceived and we Evangelicals are “the Elect” so it is possible I suppose that some could be deceived by “seducing spirits”.
[/quote]

Gee, are we watching the same shows? One of the things I have noticed in Protestant converts is a remarkable affection for their past churches, for giving them an enthusiasm for Christ that eventually led them to the Catholic Church. (And I can say the same, as someone who left Protestantism.)

As for those who are “truly born again” not joining the Church: that’s pretty funny, considering the large number of Evangelical ministers who do convert. Here’s a warning for you: better not trust your pastors, as they are more susceptible to conversion than those listening to them!

But in answer to the original poster: no, there’s no conspiracy. I’m sure many people who come here are simply misguided, and think that they must save us poor Catholics. Their motivation may be quite honorable. But typically they aren’t well-versed in history, and their ideas about Catholicism are based on misconceptions that they blindly accepted without question and never researched.

Thank you Sherlock that makes a lot of sense truely thank you.

What you are describing is a discussion board, no matter the topic, pure and simple…does not matter if it is a Baptist or LDS
A conspiracy has to be organized…we non-Catholics are not exactly organized… :smiley:

[quote=Alfie]As a Protestant I feel that a lot of the posts on this forum are not authentic. There are too many posts by so called ex-Protestants.I feel that you have people that are delibertly making up the posts to try to convince Evangelicals that the majority of Protestants are finally seeing the light and coming back to the Roman church. When I watch EWTN there are countless numbers of these so-called ex-Protestants on various programs bemoaning how they wasted all their time in Evangelical churches.
[/quote]

Well, I am an ex-Protestant, for real. Of course, if I were really an undercover Catholic trying to lead Evangelicals astray, what else would I say? :hmmm:

[quote=Alfie] A person who has truly been “born again” is never going to join the Catholic church.
[/quote]

This is the essence of the “once saved, always saved” paradox. If one ever renounces the faith (or even a particular flavor of the faith) the person was never really saved in the first place. :rolleyes:

[quote=Alfie] However the Bible does say that in the last days that even “the Elect” would be deceived and we Evangelicals are “the Elect” so it is possible I suppose that some could be deceived by “seducing spirits”.
[/quote]

Which branches of Evangelicalism are the truly Elect? There seems to be quite a bit of theological debate within your one camp.

Ah, a spy! A spy! How nefarious of you…

But your point is an excellent one: since those who believed that they were “truly born again” have been known to convert, why, one can’t be sure after all. I mean, I have two friends (Evangelicals) who truly believed that they were “born again” and were saved once and for all—they were totally convinced of their beliefs. Now, one does not practice any faith at all, and was convicted for insurance fraud and committed adultery. The other is on her way to Catholicism. Since they were so very sincere in their beliefs, do I conclude that a—they were lying, to themselves and all of their friends? If so, they put on a remarkably convincing performance! Or is it b—no one can really know with absolute certainty, as only God can absolutely know the future and the state of one’s heart. Which renders the “once saved, always saved” position moot. As Catholics, we can have a moral assurance, but an absolute assurance means that one can predict the future and know that one will not—oh horror of horrors!—convert to Catholicism.

[quote=Alfie]As a Protestant I feel that a lot of the posts on this forum are not authentic. There are too many posts by so called ex-Protestants.I feel that you have people that are delibertly making up the posts to try to convince Evangelicals that the majority of Protestants are finally seeing the light and coming back to the Roman church. When I watch EWTN there are countless numbers of these so-called ex-Protestants on various programs bemoaning how they wasted all their time in Evangelical churches. Catholic programs now use Protestant words like “born again” to mislead minimal Protestants to think that the Catholic definition of “being born again” is equal to the Protestant equivalent. I get the feeling that it is all one great big propaganda machine. The Catholic church fears Evangelicals more than any other force on earth. I do not believe that Evangelicals were ever asked to join Pope John Paul when he met with various religious leaders. A person who has truly been “born again” is never going to join the Catholic church. However the Bible does say that in the last days that even “the Elect” would be deceived and we Evangelicals are “the Elect” so it is possible I suppose that some could be deceived by “seducing spirits”.
[/quote]

Alfie, I was truly “Born Again” in 1991, I went forward in a coliseum of about 80,000 people. I was part of a strong evangelical protestant group who for the first 2 years of getting to know them all they did was put down Catholics and any other mainline churches. For the next few years I looked for every opportunity to put down catholics and catholicism and convert them as I was totally convinced these people were going to hell. I dont want to get into my story here as it is very similar to the stories of most reverts and catholics on this forum but I had a big problem in 1998. It first started when I was introduced to the Toronto Airport Fellowship and people like Rodney Howard Brown et all. Totally confused I started listening to Hank Henegraff and I was so confused as everything Hank said made sense but everything he said was contrary to what I had been taught for years. I was confused over these points 1) Are we Saved? Can you lose your salvation? 2) How can a good person who never became “born again” but attended a mainline church die and go to hell and a murderer or a rapist who accepts Jesus in prison go to heaven? 3) If Jesus left us a church, which church? 4)Why would Jesus Die and leave all His people in total confusion 5) Why can anyone start preaching and interpreting the bible without any credentials?

The thing that really bothered me though was after 10 years as a protestant and 5 of them in the same church, the church really had not grown in proportion to the amount of people saved every week. We had a revolving door as it seemed we can get them there but we could not get them to stay. I also noticed that many protestant evangelical churches really don’t convert the lost but the try to get people from mainline churches to their churches. It really is a form of recycling and not growth at all. That could be a general statement but it is my opinion only based on what I had seen. So the statements of “we are growing” should of really said "we are stealing from the Anglicans,United,Presbyterians and Lutherans.

To make a very long story short, I started in a quest to answer these questions and I spent hours and hours and dollars and dollars researching. Open minded and not even remotely thinking that the answers would be in the Catholic Faith, everything I read, heard, and watched pointed at the Roman Catholic Church.

[/quote]

Alfie:

I’m not a Protestant. I’m an Anglican.

I would like to ask only a few questions so you can think about them;

You referred to “The Elect”, Since you don’t believe the elect are Catholics or Orthodox Christians, who are these “Elect”?

You refered to “Born-again Christians” Are you saying that Catholics haven’t been Born-Again and that they don’t have a relationship with Jesus Christ?

How do you reconcile what you’re saying with the words of the Apostles Creed which every Christian said from 100 A.D. on - (I believe in the Holy Spirit: I believe in the Holy Catholic Church: the communion of saints: The forgiveness of sins: The resurrection of the body: And the life everlasting. Amen.)?

sacred-texts.com/chr/apocreed.htm

With that in mind, do you think our Lord really meant for there to be 132,000 different brands of protestants as there are in the USA alone, or do you think that He intended for us to be ONE as he prayed here, “I pray not only for them, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, so that they may all be one, as you, Father, are in me and I in you, that they also may be in us, that the world may believe that you sent me.” John 17:20-21 NAB?

Do you think that at some of the world’s scepticism about the Gospel might come from our divisions and lack of unity and charity towards each other??

In Christ, Michael

Alfie,

Thanks for the laugh.:rotfl: Don’t you think a charade like that would get exposed making EWTN the laughingstock of the Christian World? I mean how could anyone be so low to do that? Oh yeah, it’s been done before, by “Father Rivera” and Jack Chick.

Notworthy

[quote=BrianH]What you are describing is a discussion board, no matter the topic, pure and simple…does not matter if it is a Baptist or LDS
A conspiracy has to be organized…we non-Catholics are not exactly organized… :smiley:
[/quote]

Brian:

Have you ever tried to organize Catholics?? :rotfl:

I think herding cats is actually easier! :smiley:

Michael

[quote=anthony flavell]alfie

I agree with you, the Church is afraid of “evangelicals”, it truly afraid that warped concepts of Christianity are defiling the true teachings of Christ. It is afraid that every day evangelicals are drawing naïve people away from the true word of God in favor of an “easier” less conformist and more liberal concept of Christianity, that is dependant upon an individuals opinions and interpretation rather than those of Christ and the Apostles.

In Christ
Anthony
[/quote]

I disagree that evagelicals have a liberal concept of Christianity.

Catholics regard protestantism as a wound to the unity of the one and only chruch that Christ gave to humanity. This is why we continously reach out to our Protestant brethren. I see a lot of Protestants who view Catholics as the enemy. What did we do to you? I ask that as a personal question. Not what did a few of our sinful members do in the years preceeding Luther and his successors? I really want to know what did* I* ever do to you to make you see me as the enemy?

[/quote]

You are already submitting to the Catholic Church’s teaching by using it’s Bible.

[quote=Traditional Ang]Brian:

Have you ever tried to organize Catholics?? :rotfl:

I think herding cats is actually easier! :smiley:

Michael
[/quote]

I think disorganization is part of our Catholic culture.

But not as a part of our doctrine! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.