is there a religious order or vocation for married women?

I have been praying faithfully and reciting a rosary novena to the Blessed Virgin Mary. I was wondering if there was a religious order that married women were able to join?? I can’t put my finger on it but have been thining of St. Theresa of the Child Jesus often, and the Blessed Virgin,. as well. I know my memere belonged to somehting when she was alive…I can’t remebr the name but it has the name sister in it…sisters of somethign somethign maybe?? I know when she died it was also in her obituary. I am feeling a strong calling to wear only ankle length skirts as well as a headcovering. Also during my Rosary this morning, I felt a calling to begin a “spiritual vocation” to the Sacred Heart…I do’nt know much about it yet. the idea cam through when I was parying…it involved keeping holy the first friday of every month, but that is all I know so far. Is there a holy order of which married women can be apart of? I am not sure a holy order is the correct word…does anyone know what I am trying to say here? Oh also, I saw a priest of which I don’t normally see ( at a diff. church I don’t attend ) and he walked right over to me and said the Holy Mother wishes you to Consecrate your self to her! I began the Rosary because of it…does anyone els eknow how else to do this? Thank you!

In Christ,
Nicole

Many religious orders have lay orders also called 3rd orders or secular orders. Depending on what is available in your area, the Carmelites, both Calced and Discalced have a 3rd order, as do the Franciscans and Dominicans. A Google search of 3rd orders with the name of the religious order you are interested in you will find more information about them. You can also call your diocese for information about 3rd orders. There may be one that meets at your parish, as well.

Dear Jesus! How you work so mysteriously! I have been thinking about the 3rd order involving St. Theresa of Lesuix. I don’t know anythign about it, I thought u needed to not be married! Now I will need to look more into it. While I was praying I kept thinking the words 3rd order, but to what I don’t know. I will keeo ptaying! thank you!!

In Christ,
Nicole

You’re welcome. :slight_smile: A lot of people have the mistaken idea that one must be single to enter a 3rd Order, but they were created precisely to accommodated married people. I believe St. Francis established the first 3rd Order. Other orders follow suit. There’s also the Blue Army and the Militia of the Immaculata, which are lay societies/sodalities.

I’m sure you will find one that matches your spiritual needs.

I am very attached to St. Therese of Lisieux, myself, and I feel called to consecrate myself as a cloistered, contemplative Carmelite nun just as she did. As you probably know, St. Therese belonged to the order of Discalced Carmelites begun by St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross as a reform from the Carmelite order (the original rule and order is known as the Carmel of the Ancient/Primitive Observance). If you feel close to St. Therese and the Blessed Virgin Mary, it could be that God is calling you to join a secular/third order of Discalced Carmelites. Married persons are allowed to join. The point of secular/third orders is to allow the person to practice the spirituality while still remaining part of the world.

Also, the Carmelites are the order of the Blessed Virgin Mary. History has it that St. Simon Stock received the Carmelite scapular from the Virgin Mary so the the title is, “Carmel is all Mary’s.”

I would urge you to find a Carmelite group in your area and attend some preliminary group meetings to find out if it’s where you fit in. There is a complex formation process for new group members and discernment to the order is involved.

Here are some webpages with more information on Carmelite secular orders. :slight_smile:

helpfellowship.org/secular_carmelite_info.htm

ocd.pcn.net/hista.htm

Please let me know if you would like help finding a group of third order Carmelites in your area. I love researching. :slight_smile:

NicoleCook- God bless you and be with you while you are discerning a call. I myself am discerning a call with the Discalced Carmelites I visited them two years ago and they had a married couple–Third order that helped them out.

Consecrate yourself to Mary:

consecration.com/oldsite/learn-more.html

fisheaters.com/totalconsecrationmontfort.html

Treatise on True Devotion to the Blessed Mother:

ewtn.com/library/Montfort/TRUEDEVO.HTM

Novena Prayers to the Sacred Heart:

catholicsource.net/sacredheart2.htm

Praying for you as well.

God bless,
goforgoal

Thank you so much for your thoughful prayers and insights! I called and spoke with the Carmelite Monestary yesterday evening. They are holding a meeting on the first Monday in Nov. I will be attending. Until then, I will just keep praying for God’s will. Thanks again!

In Christ,
Nicole

Awesome! May God bless you! :smiley:

Nicole,
there is anothor option for you as well. If you find that the Carmelite 3rd order is not what God is calling you to.
Although, at this time, it has no canonical status, there is a community called the Sisters, Servants of the Sacred Cross, they are an international ecumenical community that accepts Anglican, Catholic and Orthodox women. They have two branches, the regular Sister who live in a convent in Nova Scotia, and Extern Sisters, who can be single, married or widowed, who live in the world. Extern Sisters do not take the traditional vows, but rather take vows of Simplicity, Purity, and Obedience. Have a look at their website WWW.thesacredcross.org
Stacia

God bless you Nicole, please let us know how it turns out. Are they in your area?

You maybe interested in “Association of the Child Jesus”

carmelslc.org/carmelpg6.htm

God bless,
goforgoal

Looks like these posts are a few years old. Being a married woman myself, I have off and on felt a calling to the religious life, and married life. A few moments ago, I stumbled upon these posts while doing a search to see if there is such an option to be married and get into religious life. Thanks :slight_smile:

In addition to the orders already listed here, the Benedictines have Oblates, which are similar to a Third Order. And many congregations of Sisters, especially in the United States, have what they call “Associates.” If you are familiar with a particular congregation, see if they have an Associate group. These are open to married women, and in some cases to men (and in a few cases even to non-Catholics, such as people who might work in a ministry sponsored by the congregation).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.