Is there a sin that God could not forgive?

Ex.) “Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.”

The Church’s teaching is that the unforgivable sin is final impenitence, a rejection of repentance even into death, rejecting God’s love.

Well, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is basically the refusal to let God forgive you, as I understand it. That’s what they mean when it wont be forgiven in the next life because you can’t ask for forgiveness when you’re dead.

So, God can forgive any sin, but you need to be open to His mercy :slight_smile:

The ONLY unforgivable sin is the UNrepented sin. If we say God could never forgive me because my sin is too bad.

The blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is the denial of God Himself, i.e. the stubborn insistence that God does not exist, i.e. atheism. This sin cannot be forgiven, because when a man denies God he denies the Source of Forgiveness itself. It is therefore not cruelty on God’s part that singles this sin out as unforgivable. Rather, it is man man’s own doing: a man cannot receive Forgiveness if he denies its Source, for if he denies its Source he cannot turn toward that Source.

Certainly, final impenitence equates to denial.

This is not atheism, however. The merciful approach towards atheists (while detesting atheism), is to understand that atheists, too, have a kind of cross in their unbelief.

People can be saved, outside the Church. It is just probably very difficult to remain righteous without the acknowledgment of God. So much tendency towards wrong doing.

@Thecatholicguy , the sin you refer to is the one Jesus says cannot be forgiven .

Very true!

Yes, but I’ve always understood that to refer to those who acknowledge God but are not formally members of the RCC. I’m not sure if that can be stretched to cover God-deniers as well.

Precisely. There are many atheists who are kind people. But they aren’t quite “reliable” (for lack of a better term) in their righteousness because they haven’t acknowledged its Source as the thing to always navigate by. Their righteousness, while real when it is manifest, falters easily.

Yes, but I’ve always understood that to refer to those who acknowledge God but are not formally members of the RCC. I’m not sure if that can be stretched to cover God-deniers as well.<

The possibilty of being saved outside the RCC is not just limited to other Christian denominations. Grace flows through the Catholic Church, into the whole world. Faith, definitely opens us up to grace. However, all is taken into account, by God. We cannot know all things. Having faith in God, as Catholics, is definitely a far surer way of getting where we need to be - conversion means justification:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s1c3a2.htm

People can acknowledge God on various levels of their being, even if they cannot recognise God, as He has revealed Himself to be. It could be understood, that if some people had known of the Truth, then they would have run to it. The source of Creation, is Love.

Precisely. There are many atheists who are kind people. But they aren’t quite “reliable” (for lack of a better term) in their righteousness because they haven’t acknowledged its Source as the thing to always navigate by. Their righteousness, while real when it is manifest, falters easily.<

Quite possibly, but the simplest way is not to judge. While God is Good, He meets people where they are. We can see if someone is doing good, or not, but we cannot judge their souls, in entirety, this is why we can assert that certain people are in Heaven, while not knowing for sure which people are in Hell. The lives of some indicate that they are not presently on their way to Heaven, or are not there, but we still cannot write people off, or know for certain. A saying: ‘judge the sin but not the sinner’.

No there isn’t God forgives us of all our sins.

That if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead you will be saved

For with the heart a person believes resulting in righteousness and with the mouth he confesses resulting in salvation

Romans 10:9-10

"1864 "Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.“136 There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit.137 Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss.”

CCC 1864
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s1c1a8.htm

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.