Is there a slight possibility of women became priests?

We all know that some things in the Church can change, like the liturgy and the clergy celibacy... and I know that a a clergy acts *in persona Christi *. Does that means that only male clergy fit in this? what if a pope says women can become priests? would us had to obey or he would be considered an anti-pope and should resign? is this discussion still on among bishops or is already declared somewhere that women will never receive the holy orders?

and this is in the “Traditional Catholicism” subforum because…?

Please refer to this.

Wherefore, in order that all doubt may be removed regarding a matter of great importance, a matter which pertains to the Church's divine constitution itself, in virtue of my ministry of confirming the brethren (cf. Lk 22:32) **I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church's faithful.

Case closed, it's not going to happen.

[quote="fabio_rocha, post:1, topic:313864"]
We all know that some things in the Church can change, like the liturgy and the clergy celibacy... and I know that a a clergy acts *in persona Christi *. Does that means that only male clergy fit in this? what if a pope says women can become priests? would us had to obey or he would be considered an anti-pope and should resign? is this discussion still on among bishops or is already declared somewhere that women will never receive the holy orders?

[/quote]

"Wherefore, in order that all doubt may be removed regarding a matter of great importance, a matter which pertains to the Church's divine constitution itself, in virtue of my ministry of confirming the brethren (cf. Lk 22:32) I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church's faithful." Blessed Pope John Paul II, Ordinatio Sacerdotalis (May 22, 1994)

Source: vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_22051994_ordinatio-sacerdotalis_en.html

[emphasis mine]

is this discussion still on among bishops or is already declared somewhere that women will never receive the holy orders?

[/quote]

It is not open to debate. This was made clear in* Ordinatio Sacerdotalis* (Latin for On Ordination to the Priesthood) an Apostolic Letter issued by Pope John Paul II on 22 May 1994,

Although the teaching that priestly ordination is to be reserved to men alone has been preserved by the constant and universal Tradition of the Church and firmly taught by the Magisterium in its more recent documents, at the present time in some places it is nonetheless considered still open to debate, or the Church's judgment that women are not to be admitted to ordination is considered to have a merely disciplinary force.

Wherefore, in order that all doubt may be removed regarding a matter of great importance, a matter which pertains to the Church's divine constitution itself, in virtue of my ministry of confirming the brethren (cf. Lk 22:32) I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church's faithful.

vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_22051994_ordinatio-sacerdotalis_en.html

And we all post the same answer in slightly different ways. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote="Zekariya, post:6, topic:313864"]
And we all post the same answer in slightly different ways. :p

[/quote]

Well, it is a rather definitive statement.

Blessed John Paul II, pray for us here on Earth!

http://lifeteen.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/2011_06_Beatification.jpg

[/quote]

You're new here so when you have a moment, I suggest searching for some of the threads which have been posted on this in the past. There are several, and many contain good information on this subject. Here are a couple of recent ones: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=735942
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=721379

The short answer to your question is no, this is never going to happen. Here is an excellent theological presentation of why this is never going to happen. I strongly suggest you listen to this entire thing.

peterkreeft.com/audio/09_priestesses.htm

Peace of Christ,

[/quote]

No pope will say that.

Even from an Atheist's perspective, it would be illogical. His only claim to authority is the constant, unchanging teachings of the church. Changing something as fundamental as the priesthood would expose to everyone that the Catholic Church is a fraud. Thus a pope hoping to preserve his authority by bending to society's pressure, would actually loose all credibility.

Of course, it is a moot point, as the church has no authority from God to ordain women. However, it is an illogical proposal from even the most cynical, nihilistic perspective imaginable.

I do think so.
Feels and looks to me like it will happen in the next fifty years or so.

Those who, out of envy, malice, or any other disordered motive, desire to force Christ to ordain women, do not have a problem with the Church. They have a problem with themselves and even more so, with Christ.

There's no possibility of it whatsoever. The people who think it's going to happen in this age or in any other age will wait their whole life and never see it.

Not to be rude, but simply put - why would women even want to be priests?

What next, male nuns? Female fathers, male mothers?

Just odd.

aint gonna happen...

[quote="DaddyGirl, post:10, topic:313864"]
I do think so.

[/quote]

Even if that was the trajectory on which we were headed (and I deny that it is), they still wouldn't become priests. That is an ontological impossibility.

At best they would be playing dress-up and handing out light refreshments.

There is as much possibility of the Church allowing Sacrament of Holy Orders being conferred to women as allowing the Sacrament of Baptism to be done with orange juice. In both cases, the incorrect matter is being used. Women are different than men. Water is different than orange juice. Women are not "lesser" than men because men receive Holy Orders. Orange juice is not "lesser" than water because it is not used in Baptism.

In short, no, there is no possibility whatsoever of women becoming priests.

[quote="DaddyGirl, post:10, topic:313864"]
I do think so.

[/quote]

Exactly what feelings lead you to this conclusion?

[quote="Esrb99, post:2, topic:313864"]
and this is in the "Traditional Catholicism" subforum because...?

[/quote]

Because Traditional Catholicism is different from non-Traditional Catholicism when it comes to Church teaching?

It would be good get the OP's reasons... :)

If it has happened in the Anglican church ,why couldnt it happen in the Catholic church?

No, because as the quote by Pope John Paul ll says, the Church has no authority to change the priesthood in terms of gender

Sacrament of Holy orders makes clear that a priest acts in the person of Christ - in persona Christi. Jesus Christ was a man and and only men can take on that indelible character

Bible makes clear the Church is Christ's bride, Christ is the bridegroom. A woman can not be a bridegroom, therefore she can not be a priest

Pope John Paul ll said women and men are equal before God

But consider that men and women are inherently different in regards to gender

[quote="Paul_theApostle, post:18, topic:313864"]
If it has happened in the Anglican church ,why couldnt it happen in the Catholic church?

[/quote]

To accept women as priests is to cease to be Catholic.

"Moreover, in the Catholic Church itself, all possible care must be taken, that we hold that faith which has been believed everywhere, always, by all. For that is truly and in the strictest sense Catholic, which, as the name itself and the reason of the thing declare, comprehends all universally. This rule we shall observe if we follow universality, antiquity, consent." - St Vincent of Lerins, Commonitory, Ch 2:6

Source: newadvent.org/fathers/3506.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.