Is there a special prayer for housing needs?

I am really not sure where to post this question… I hope this is OK here.

Is there a special prayer, or a patron saint for housing needs? I have searched and searched, and all I can come up with is prayers to St Joseph to sell a house.

We are not selling our home at this time, but it is barely adequate for the needs of our family. We are in desperate need of repairs and also more room to accommodate our growing children. But our financial situation is such that our options are quite limited.

I pray every day that God will help us find a way to improve our housing situation.For years now I have prayed to St Joseph for all of the needs of our family. I pray his novena, and the prayer to obtain a special favor through him. And of course I never forget Our Lord Jesus Christ or our Blessed Mother in my daily prayers.

I thank God every day that we are fortunate enough to own a home and have a roof over our heads. However, our home is barely adequate and we desperately need help.

I would really like to find a prayer for help in improving our housing situation if there is one. Or if there is another saint that I can pray to intercede for me for this particular issue, I would love to know… does anybody have any suggestions?

St. Joseph is in fact an excellent saint to call on for your housing needs.

You might want to read this story about a miraculous staircase in the Loretto Chapel in New Mexico. There’s a picture of the staircase as well. :slight_smile:

lorettochapel.com/staircase.html

Praying for you from today’s Liturgy of the Hours:

In your goodness, show favor to Zion:
rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
Then you will be pleased with lawful sacrifice,
holocausts (burnt offerings wholly consumed),
offered on your altar.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit:
– as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever.
Amen.

:blessyou:

:hammering:

Oh, thank you so much for your prayers, and for that link to the staircase! That is an awesome story… I don’t think I have ever heard it before. So very inspiring, and it does give me hope.

So I guess, if there is not a special prayer for my specific need, the Novena to St. Joseph should suffice, correct?

When I say my novenas to St. Joseph or the prayer to him for a special favor, I always ask that he help me to find a better way to provide for my family, and also that he send a carpenter my way. Somehow, we have always managed to find a way through our tough times and I do believe that he has interceded for the most basic needs of our family.

But so far, no man on a donkey has shown up with a toolbox :wink:
Not that I’m literally expecting a man on a donkey… but the story of the staircase has put that visual into my mind. It’s a lovely thought to hold on to while I continue to pray for an answer to our housing needs.

I started another novena today even before I originally posted here.
Though I am a lifelong Catholic, novenas are relatively new to me (I’ve only started praying them in the last few years). I do hope I am doing it correctly! I also have a St Joseph statue that my sister gave me after she successfully sold her house. I’m not superstitious enough to bury it as others claim to do, but I would like to find a prominent place for it somewhere in my house.

I have been praying about a housing issue and feeling terribly discouraged over an incident that occurred regarding my housing situation. I asked God to show me a sign for encouragement and he led me to this post in a completely random fashion.

I want to move from my present home which is isolated and in disrepair to a smaller more manageable home that is in the city, (I’m in the country now). The house I saw that could suit my needs is very small and would require a staircase put in asap for the home to suitable. Like the Loretto Chapel there is no space for a staircase as the entire home measures only 17’ x 16’ and already divided into 4 rooms!

I felt the similarity of momcrom’s situation and then the story of the spiral staircase in the Loretto Chapel spoke to me personally and showed a sign God is listening and has not forgotten me. I don’t know what the future holds, or where I will end up but I wanted to share the remarkable coincidence that of all the vast internet, God brought me here to this very post. It makes me feel so loved by him.

momcrom I pray that life is much better for you now, and that God also blesses you and meets your needs. He is indeed amazing and does work miracles.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.