Is there a third order for the homebound?

I am a caregiver for my son who is a quadriplegic. We can not get out much due to his health issues. We have a church that we love that is close by. My son prays the whole Divine Office and 3-4 Mysteries of the Rosary and watches EWTN Mass every day. He ia also very active in the on-line pro life movement. I think a third order is the next step but they all seem to require meetings etc. Anyone have any ideas for us? Thanks

There is one where people can write letters to each other in a round-robin way, or send emails, and they pray common prayers daily from their homes.

I think it is called CUSA but I am not sure what the initials stand for.

It is for people who are housebound, have health issues, disabilities, etc.

Look that up on the web. You can also google secular institutes.

Hope this helps.

Lisa, thank you so much. CUSA an apostolate of persons with chronic illness aor disability. And they even have a caregivers support area also. And this morning I downloaded the Introduction to the Devout Life by St Francis DeSales to my Kindle and it looks to be just what I was needing at this time. No need to be disappointed in myself for not being a monk. Thanks again for your help.

1 Like

You’re welcome. I have some health problems (although I am not housebound) and thought about joining them.

Is there a third order for the homebound?
I am a caregiver for my son who is a quadriplegic. We can not get out much due to his health issues. We have a church that we love that is close by. My son prays the whole Divine Office and 3-4 Mysteries of the Rosary and watches EWTN Mass every day. He ia also very active in the on-line pro life movement. I think a third order is the next step but they all seem to require meetings etc. Anyone have any ideas for us? Thanks***

***Dear “deHues,”

Look up the “Bro. and Sr. of Penance” (bspenance.org) online and send an email explaining your situation. All of the formation is done online and you would be part of an online community. I myself am a permanently professed member of the Community and have been since 2004.

Go to the website and read and see if you think it would be for you! Our Penance is observed in the way we dress, what we eat, and the way we conduct ourselves at all times. If I can be of any further help, please PM me here on CAF and I would be happy to help you in any way that I can!

God bless,
DesertSister62***

1 Like

Knights at the Foot of the Cross isn’t a 3rd order but an arm of Militia Immaculata. It does require consecration to Mary but it’s pretty simple and if your son is praying the Divine Office the Kolbean consecration will be a piece of cake.

Also, the MI consecreation can be done along side any other apostolate so he could be a part of a 3rd order and be an MI/KFC.
As MI members, KFCs consecrate themselves to Mary. As did Mary at the Cross of her Son, they also participate in “redemptive suffering” (also called sacrificial or reparational suffering). This means they offer some of their daily prayers and trials to Jesus and Mary, who apply these gifts where grace is needed most, such as to convert hearts and save souls, to make amends for the sins of others, and ultimately to bring about the reign of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. KFCs especially offer up their difficulties for the success of the MI.

(…)

Supernaturally, KFCs are perhaps the most important members of the MI - a spiritual powerhouse

I’m not exactly homebound, but I didn’t really have the time to. locate.a more appropriate thread. I am looking for a third order to join, but I live in an area where there are no groups. I spoke for a little while to someone about becoming a Carmelite, and she mentioned I could become a discalced Carmelite and do it solo but that it wasn’t a very popular idea. so I guess what I’m looking for is a third order I can do that doesn’t require meetings or if I’m extremely lucky, one in my area. I just don’t know where to look.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.