Is there an end?

God is the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end;
The beginning of creation and the end of creation is the way that I understand it - within the scope of time and space as we can understand it.

If we exist in the end, resurrected with our bodies in heaven - bodily and physically existant in a non physical existance, what is the end?

Scientifically speaking, the universe as we know it is finite. Eventually all the stars will exhaust their supply of hydrogen, and their mass will be gobbled up by black holes, which will eventually evaporate (through Hawking radiation). Space (and time) will not end, but matter (as we know it) will.

Heaven does not exist within that universe. There is no point in the sky that you could point a fast rocket at and arrive at heaven. The universe will end, but we won’t be affected. It would be like a small island falling into the sea having no effect on someone living in Kansas.

Unless you accept one of those multiverse hypotheses, then the physical world could be infinite in time as well.

Not quite. Even in multiverse theory, each universe is different from the others, and so each multiverse’s “Earth” is distinct from other “Earths.” Just because an instance of Earth continues to exist in another multiverse doesn’t change the fact that Earth as we understand it has come to an end.

Unless you just mean “Physical Existence,” in which case you could be right. Who knows, maybe God has been creating and will continue to create realities through all of eternity.

I thought that we are talking about the entire realm of physical space/time which includes any conceivable universe. It is to be expected that space/time/matter in another universe will have a totally different configuration of what we are used to, but I would still class it under “natural” as opposed to “supernatural”.

I think it depends on which multiverse theory you ascribe to. If there truly are an infinite number of universes, then “creation” could continue infinitely. It could also all come to an end at the same time.

Time does not exist outside of physical creation, all we have are analogies. That’s why we have letters. Alpha and Omega. It’s infinite in both directions. God is the ground of being by which all things exist. I am getting over my head here because philosophy is not my forte.

God cannot be named; that would define him as One who cannot be defined. We say “God” because it’s all we have. I-Am-Who-Am is not a name, it was an answer to Moses’ question, and “I AM” was used rather frequently by You-Know-Who.

If I may offer one correction to your first sentence, it is Jesus (the Revelation) who is the Alpha and Omega, as is stated in the first chapter of the Apocalypse of John, “[5] And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth, who hath loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, [6] And hath made us a kingdom, and priests to God and his Father, to him be glory and empire for ever and ever. Amen. [7] Behold, he cometh with the clouds, and every eye shall see him, and they also that pierced him. And all the tribes of the earth shall bewail themselves because of him. Even so. Amen. [8] I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, saith the Lord God, who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.”. Jesus was the one speaking to John. So, it’s Jesus who is the Beginning and the End.

If you are asking about the “end of the world”, then we can also see in the Apocalypse that there will be a “new Heaven and a new Earth”. The physical world, that we know now, will be changed into a glorified world and our bodies will also be glorified, like the body of Jesus is, in Heaven. The Transfiguration of Jesus to Peter, John and James was a revelation to them, of a what a glorified body would be like. Of course, the Glory of Jesus is much greater than the rest of us will have. Each of us will receive a level of glory that will reflect our own personal holiness. This is what Paul meant when he said in his first Epistle to The Corinthians: [41] One is the glory of the sun, another the glory of the moon, and another the glory of the stars. For star differeth from star in glory. [42] So also is the resurrection of the dead."

I could be wrong, but I tend to think that particular title (Alpha and Omega) refers to Jesus being the beginning and the end of our salvation, which began when Jesus was born, and was completed with His Resurrection from the dead. It could be said that our salvation began with God’s promise of a savior in the Old Testament, but the act itself began with the Incarnation of Jesus. Ultimately, His whole life on earth was for one purpose, to reconcile us with God, by teaching us how to live a holy life through following His example.

Just my :twocents:.

Nope. No end.

In Heaven we will be immortal and live forever.
No death. No ending.

Hell is the opposite:
eternal death.

End is only by choice. God wants you to live forever and enjoy/contemplate/experience him and what he can create forever, if you want to. But he doesn’t force you. I’m going with the forever route if I can muster it.

Since God has no beginning and no end, Alpha and Omega must be referring to His physical and temporal creation - the universe.

Actually I think it is just a phrase used to say that he is everything. Like we might say ‘soup to nuts’, or ‘everything but the kitchen sink’. When they say that something is the Alpha and the Omega it means it is everything.

This world will end then, when Christ comes again at the end of time there will be a New Heavens and a New Earth.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.