Is there another option for communion?

I cannot take any kind of bread because my digestive lining is too sensitive, but it is also too sensitive to take the wine for the same reason. My godfather told me some priests also have that problem and that there are other options, but I didn’t understand what he was saying. Does anyone know about this?

If you can stomach it, you can ask your priest to consecrate a low-gluten host and keep it away from the other hosts. Also, you could just partake of the Chalice because the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Christ is fully present in each species (that is, if you only partake of the Chalice, you still receive all of Christ). :slight_smile:

Note: Gluten-free hosts are not valid matter and cannot be used for the Eucharist. Those that can tolerate a small amount of gluten can ask for a low-gluten host. Talk about this with the priest ahead of time.

Right, that’s what I used to do -only take the blood of Christ, but my esophagus and the rest of my digestive lining is way too sensitive to that at the moment, which has been since the beginning of July.

Could you perhaps receive just a droplet of the precious Blood?

You may request mustum if you cannot partake of a low-gluten host. However, I believe the Holy See must grant permission in order for mustum to be consecrated for you. Talk to your bishop, and he can ask the Holy See for permission.

If you can partake of a low-gluten wafer, all that is required is permission from the bishop.

If you’re too sensitive for mustum, then I’m sorry to say this, but you’re out of luck.

Make sure you tell your priest about your condition, so that he can make sure that you receive from a chalice that a piece of the Host has not been added to.

You may mean a literal substitution, like people are talking about below, but if you can’t find anything to eat or drink that doesn’t hurt you, you can pray this prayer before communion, which you might already be aware of…

Spiritual Communion Prayer

My Jesus, I believe that You are present in the Most Holy Sacrament. 

I love You above all things, and I desire to receive You into my soul.
Since I cannot at this moment receive You sacramentally,
come at least spiritually into my heart.
I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You.
Never permit me to be separated from You.

I don’t know if this would be allowed, or if this would resolve the problem, but do you suppose you could talk to your bishop and request a dispensation from the fasting before communion?

Perhaps, it seems to me, if you had something in your stomach at the time, they might be less irritating to your stomach.

Actually, I don’t believe any official permission is needed, or if there is I imagine that bishops have likely given blanket permission to priests to use low-gluten hosts as needed.

Really, you’d just need to talk to you priest to ensure that a low-gluten host is consecrated at the Mass.

:sad_yes:

The options for the Eucharist are a regular (or low-gluten) host, or wine. In extraordinary cases mustum can be used. If none of those options work, then you’ll have to receive a spiritual communion. There are simply no other options that are valid matter.

The smallest amount of the host or sip of the Precious Blood is all that is needed. If yours is not a gluten problem perhaps you can ask the priest for just a fragment of the host or just take the slightest sip from the cup.

Mustum! I bet that’s what my godfather was talking about! Thank you!

I forgot about this prayer, thank you.

And thank you all for your responses.

Mustum is permitted for the laity? I thought it was restricted to alchoholic priests at-risk.

It normally is only for alcoholic priests, but the laity may request it if needed. It is rare for the laity to request it. The Holy See must grant permission for a layperson to partake of it.

Yes, permission is needed from the local ordinary for a low-gluten wafer to be consecrated. The Congregation for Doctrine and Faith has stated this.

I did this before becoming Catholic but still do as this is very beautiful- our Lord knowing your situation can be very present in you through this:-)

The book: Seven Secrets of the Eucharist by Vinny Flynn is an excellent book to read that gets into this( as well as regular communion)

mlz

closed #16

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.