Is there any case where non-Catholic can receive the Holy Communion?

My half sister is non-Catholic. She marries a Catholic but was given the Eucharist at their wedding day.

Right now, in my parish church, there is a couple, wife is non-Catholic, husband is protestant. They attends Mass regularly every week and receives the Eucharist. They have not started the RICA yet.

I am getting confused :mad:

Generally not,

For a non-Catholic to receive Holy Communion, they would have to be one of the Apostolic Faiths ( Eastern Orthodox, Coptic, Polish National Catholic etc) that have a similar understanding of the Eucharist and have no reasonable access to their own minsters.

I see that you are Canadian, but here is the US bishops statement. The Canadian bishops will have a near identical statement, as this is universal Church teaching

old.usccb.org/liturgy/current/intercom.shtml

Brendan,

One of my friends told me that on the wedding day, the priest can make an exception to give the non-Catholic spouse the Eucharist.

Is that true?

None of the couple is of Apostolic Faith.

I don't know if my pastor is aware of it. Should I inform him?

[quote="mayxanh, post:3, topic:318121"]
One of my friends told me that on the wedding day, the priest can make an exception to give the non-Catholic spouse the Eucharist.

Is that true?

[/quote]

No, it isn't. This is why interfaith weddings are usually celebrated outside of Mass.

I don't know if my pastor is aware of it. Should I inform him?

Your pastor almost certainly knows the Church's rules. Whether he chooses to obey them or not is a separate matter. If you mean that he doesn't know about individuals who are non-Catholic taking Communion you could mention it to him privately and politely.

My wife and son (both practacing Lutherans/MS) were welcomed at Holy Communion
at the funeral mass for my Mom. Before the mass, the priest came down to them and stated "you are both welcome to receive Holy Communion".

This is scandalous, especially when the guidelines plainly appear in the missalette, saying the exact opposite. :banghead:

[quote="Chatter163, post:6, topic:318121"]
This is scandalous, especially when the guidelines plainly appear in the missalette, saying the exact opposite. :banghead:

[/quote]

I really think there are more scandalous things going on in the Roman Catholic Church then a practicing Lutheran/MS going to Holy Communion one time. I don't think God will banish them to h e double hockey sticks.

As has been pointed out, Christians who have the same belief as us (Eastern Orthodox) and present themselves *of their own free will * (that's very important, so we cant be accused of trying to 'poach' worshippers) are entitled to receive communion from the Catholic Church.

No-one else should receive it under any circumstances.

If someone who doesn't believe in the real presence takes communion, they disrespect God by denying His presence and they show themselves to have no integrity, through insisting on taking part in something which they don't believe in. Also, their actions are not respectful of the belief of others present.

If someone who does believe, but is not a Catholic, takes communion, then they are essentially profaning the sacrament, via partaking of it whilst not in an appropriate state of grace. (I think this case is similar in some ways to a Catholic in a state of motal sin taking communion). To be fair, this situation can often occur through ignorance, by the person not knowing or understanding the "rules".

When I first started going back to Church, (years ago now), I soon realised that I had been taking communion when I really should not have been (I just started attending mass again, I didn't think to go to confession first or even prioritise this - poor catechesis).

This was because I had not practised my faith for about 13-14 years at that point, and had naturally committed all kinds of unspeakable sins during this period. I should have gone to confession prior to taking communion, as - without a confession - I was taking communion whilst unworthy, which is offensive to God.

Naturally then I had to add error this to my confession. I was worried the Priest might "go mental" (as we say in Scotland) , but it was "like being stoned to death with Popcorn" (to misuse a ++Sheen quote).

Priests who knowingly break these rules probably do not believe in the real presence and so should not really be Priests at all. Whilst well meant, their actions only confuse the faithful and indeed those people/guests whom they are breaking the rule for.

Its good if we all stick to the roolz :D

[quote="Piwowar, post:7, topic:318121"]
I really think there are more scandalous things going on in the Roman Catholic Church then a practicing Lutheran/MS going to Holy Communion one time. I don't think God will banish them to h e double hockey sticks.

[/quote]

I don't recall that anyone said anything about this being the worst scandal or that anyone was going to hell. I said it was scandalous because a priest knowingly making up his own rules, defying very well-known Church teachings and inviting non-Catholics to communion is scandalous.

[quote="GWright, post:8, topic:318121"]
As has been pointed out, Christians who have the same belief as us (Eastern Orthodox) and present themselves *of their own free will * (that's very important, so we cant be accused of trying to 'poach' worshippers) are entitled to receive communion from the Catholic Church.

No-one else should receive it under any circumstances.

[/quote]

One exception. If a non-Catholic is in danger of death and requests last rites and viaticum, I believe it is permissible.

God Bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.