Is there any reason a Catholic could NOT sign this?

I am interested in mission work through an organization that asks if you can accept this statement. Is there anything here that would place me in error if I sign this? I was particularly concerned about statements 1 (“final authority”, does not include the Church) and 5 (“substitutionary”?). I have removed the organization’s name.

________ Doctrinal Statement

1.We believe in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments as verbally inspired by God, and inerrant in the original writings, and that they are of supreme and final authority in faith and life.
2.We believe in one God, eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
3.We believe that Jesus Christ was begotten by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary, and is true God and true man.
4.We believe that man was created in the image of God; that he sinned, and thereby incurred, not only physical death, but also that spiritual death which is separation from God; and that all human beings are born with a sinful nature.
5.We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, as a representative and substitutionary sacrifice; and all that truly repent of their sins and believe in Him are justified on the ground of His shed blood.
6.We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
7.We believe in the resurrection of the crucified body of our Lord, and His ascension into heaven and in His present life there for us, as High Priest and Advocate.
8.We believe in that blessed hope, the personal, bodily return of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
Thanks for your input

I have no clue, but I’m suspicious, I’ll admit.

Just ask the people if they are Catholic and acknowledge Church authority.

It would really help if I had the organization’s name, so I can look into it myself.

For all I know, this could be a cult.

Because of this, I HIGHLY recommend you to talk to them and how they feel about the Papacy and so forth.

If they reject the Catholic Church: Run! Run Fast, Run Far!

Agreed.

I also had a problem with 4 about the spiritual death, as well. I know Christ died, physically. I am unsure what happened, spiritually, at that point.

I agree with the previous post that you need to go online, research this organization, to see what it’s about, not get into a cult.

Why are you afraid to name the group?

I am assuming that this is a Protestant group. Should a Catholic ever do “mission work” for a Protestant group? **No. **

There may not be anything in error with believing that, but you may find yourself in a situation where you are converting Catholics to something else.

Protestants often target Catholics for conversion simply because they think it is easier than say going to the Middle East.

I have a SERIOUS problem with #1. The deposit of faith includes not only Scripture, but also Sacred Tradition (the oral teachings we received from the Apostles) and the Magisterium (the teaching office of the Church). Both of these are referenced in Scripture. Therefore, though Scripture is truth, it is not THE final authority on Christian life.

:thumbsup:
Statement number one is wrong, and it is very protestant.
(In university I was president of a Christian group having a number of Anglicans and Catholics in it. It was precisely because ‘the executive’ of the group had to agree that scripture was the final authority that we broke away.)
Never stray from the Church. For missionary work talk to your priest.

number one is sola scriptura, which is against Catholic teaching.

this sounds like a protestant mission. Catholics should not take part in non-Catholic missions.

I agree with the above posters #1 is against Catholic teaching.
Mary.

Yeah, sola scriptura bad, as it is synonymous for “What ever I need it to mean.”

Better Tota Scirptura, which reveals the authority of the Catholic teachings.

#1 is problematic and obviously a Protestant document. Do not accept this.

Even it it true, that Scritpture are of supreme and final authority in faith and life, you would have problem - according to who? Protestants do not agree among themselves; there are plethora of diferent interpretation of scriptures that result in thousands of different Protestant churches.

Number 5 appears to be the classic framework for “once saved, always saved,” “accepting Christ as your personal savior” theology in the absence of any sacraments.

No. 7 is suspicious. It’s screams to me “We don’t need no Priest. All we need is our High Priest Jesus Christ”:rolleyes:

MJ

I personally have a problem with this

1.We believe in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments as verbally inspired by God, and inerrant in the original writings, and that they are of supreme and final authority in faith and life.

because the Bible is almost invariably placed at number 1 by Protestant Statement of Faiths. I also disagree that it is the supreme and final authority.

If one is to read the Apostles Creed, there is no mention of the Bible. So why is the Bible number 1 and God number 2?

The progression of trust is wrong. Since I believe and trust the Bible therefore I believe and trust in God. It should be vice-versa, because I believe and trust in God, therefore I believe what He says, and that should include through His Church, as the Nicean Creed states.

Thanks to everyone for all the replies. My “gut” feeling was the same as the replies I received, but I wanted confirmation. I wasnt sure if I should list the organization (I dont want to make it on to the Forum banned list on my first post.) It is CRISTA and they are the umbrella group under which Christian Veterinary Mission falls. I was interested in using my professional skills in missons work and don’t know of any specifically Catholic groups where I could do this. I know this is probably an extremely small subset of forum members, but are there any veterinarians out there with information on CVM or any other places that do similar work? When you fill out the application for CVM you can check yes or no to the question’ “do you accept this statement?” I will answer “no”, tell them why, and see what happens!

Sounds like a fundamentalist pamplet. :shrug: I so could be wrong though. lol

#1 is kind of interesting. It states in the “original form” which kind of sounds like Mormonism.

This Doctrinal Statement is Protestant, you are not permitted to sign it.

Let us know how things turn out, eh?

I think that is a Baptist organization. There is nothing wrong with working along our Protestant brother and sisters, BUT when they are making you sign a “Profession” of faith that’s a “no-no”.

No, you can’t

Catholics believe that our faith is handed down in Traditions and that the Scriptures are only part of the written part of Tradition.

2.We believe in one God, eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Same as the Catholic Trinitarian doctrine, provided the word ‘persons’ is understood the same way. We believe in three persons but still one entity, one nature/substance. Please bear in mind the words do change meaning over the ages and Catholic usage is that when first defined centuries ago.

3.We believe that Jesus Christ was begotten by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary, and is true God and true man.

Same as the Nicene creed, and probabaly understood in the same way.

4.We believe that man was created in the image of God; that he sinned, and thereby incurred, not only physical death, but also that spiritual death which is separation from God; and that all human beings are born with a sinful nature.

Depends on what is meant by ‘spiritual death’ and ‘born with a sinful nature’. The former seems in line with Catholic understanding but note that Mormons understand it differently. Catholic understanding of the latter is that as a result of original sin, human nature is weakened in its powers, subject to ignorance, suffering and the domination of death, and inclined to sin. This is distinct from the actual sins that a person commits.

5.We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, as a representative and substitutionary sacrifice; and all that truly repent of their sins and believe in Him are justified on the ground of His shed blood.

We accept that Jesus died for our sins (but not solely because Scriptures says so) but the term ‘representative and substitutionary sacrifice’ may have different meanings. Catholic teaching is that Jesus died to bring us back to the state of harmony with God (satisfaction view). Evangelical Christianity generally have the view that Jesus accepted punishment as the demands of justice so God can justly forgive sins (penal substitution). There could also be differences in view of justification.

6.We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.

Nice words but don’t really know what it means. So, cannot agree or disagree.

7.We believe in the resurrection of the crucified body of our Lord, and His ascension into heaven and in His present life there for us, as High Priest and Advocate.

Sounds acceptable but don’t know about the terms ‘High Priest’ and ‘advocate’, whether we have the same understanding.

8.We believe in that blessed hope, the personal, bodily return of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Nice words but don’t really know what it means. So, cannot agree or disagree.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.