Is there any reason for a Protestant to attend Mass?

Maybe I have been unlucky, but the few times I have been to Mass, I have felt that there was no reason for me to have been there. There was no preaching (this might have been the unluckiness of which I spoke); everything seemed focused on the celebration of the Eucharist, which is wonderful. But there is just one problem; as a Protestant I cannot receive Communion. I wonder why then a Protestant who is exploring Catholicism should attend Mass if they cannot receive? I could go to my Nazarene church and receive both preaching and Communion there. But as a spiritual seeker, I really desire there to be meaning when I visit a Mass. Any ideas?

Just because the service is centered on the Eucharist, and just because you are unable to partake, should not stop you from getting value from the service.

As a congregant, a non-Catholic is allowed to do as much as do Catholics in the pews with the exception of receiving Communion. You can make the sign of the cross, kneel, stand, etc. Those non-Catholics who are guests (as distinguished from RCIA members) can also participate to the extent they feel comfortable doing so, with the exception of receiving Communion. If they are merely there as observers and do not wish to participate, they need only stand when the congregation does and otherwise sit quietly.

catholic.com/quickquestions/can-non-catholics-participate-in-the-gestures-at-mass

Actually, not all Catholics may receive Communion. Only those who are in a state of grace can receive the Eucharist. To receive Communion in the Catholic Church is a sign of complete acceptance of Catholic teaching. It is also a sign of complete unity among believers. Unfortunately, Catholic and non-Catholic Christians still do not share such unity. At present, the mutual reception of Communion by Catholics and non-Catholics would not be an honest sign.

catholic.com/quickquestions/can-a-non-catholic-christian-groom-receive-communion-at-his-catholic-wedding

a lot of Catholics cannot receive the Eucharist either

because they are still in process or because they haven’t confessed their sins

so just go up, cross your arms up to your chest, and you will receive a blessing

http://www.stfrancisonline.org/images/blessing2.jpg

everything shouldn’t just be on the Eucharist - I mean you have your 2 readings and the Gospel + homily - our father, profession of faith and a few others i might have missed :smiley:

hope this helps

God Bless

mab23,

You should read this: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=66986

I don’t know where is this practice supported ?

Yes, because Jesus commands it, as He said during the Lord’s Supper.

Some celebrants are better homilists than others, but the first half of the Mass, the Liturgy of the Word, at least includes two readings during the week and three on Sunday. In the early days of the Church, when some 90% of Christians were illiterate and couldn’t afford the rare copies of Scripture available anyway, that’s how people learned the Word of God. You can still learn a lot from them today, especially when events in the OT readings prefigure events in the NT.

Despite not being able to received the Eucharist, the Mass is essentially a communal prayer in which you are joined with your Brothers and Sisters, and you still receive absolution for venial sins at the beginning and God’s blessing at the end of the Mass. These are great benefits in themselves.

At your Nazarene church you might receive communion meal but you won’t receive Holy Communion which is Eucharist which is Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Lord Jesus Christ.

And yes, the Holy Sacrifice of Mass is Eucharist centered, that’s the whole point of the Mass.

To participate in the Eucharist one must be Catholic. However, even Catholics must be in the state of Sanctifying Grace, that is free of a mortal sin. To be in the sate of Sanctifying Grace a Catholic must confess the sins in the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

Just ask yourself questions:
Do you believe in the True Presence of Christ in the Eucharist?
Do you believe you must confess your sins to Jesus through His appointee, the priest?

I pray for you.

Anna

Keep in mind that only priests and deacons may give this blessing, and some will actually refuse to do since it is redundant and unnecessary (everyone is blessed together at the end of Mass anyway). Others may be eager to do it to help their non-Catholic (or fallen Catholic) congregants feel more at home, however. It’s best to ask the priest ahead of time if you’re interested.

thanks - I learn something new everyday

my wife is doing RCIA - and the Sister leading the class tells her to do it

Are you familiar at all with the Catholic practice of Eucharistic Adoration?

Since we believe in the Real Presence, and moreover a presence that doesn’t require consuming the Host or Chalice to be real for each of us, we believe just being in church together with Our Eucharistic Lord gives is special graces even without receiving Him in Communion.

Kinda like just being in the same room with your spouse is special, compared to when they’re not there, even if you don’t physically touch.

At Mass you are present (at the re-presentation) when Jesus offers Himself and His Passion and death to Our Father for the forgiveness of sins-(and we offer it with Jesus!) and the Church and the whole world and all the people benefit from this. (And all the Angels and Saints are present, too!)

Yes. Two ideas (facts, really):

You do not receive “communion” in your Nazarene church. That’s a term borrowed from the catholic (and orthodox) church. It holds no value in the Nazarene church other than a symbolic gesture. To get the real thing, you must shop at the right store.

You can only obtain this spirit that you seek from the catholic (or again orthodox) church. That will take some work on your part if you wish to do so.

No way around it.

I think that this practice acctually originates from my country of sweden, when Pope John Paul II visited sweden back in 1989 he was celebrating a mass at Stockholm Globe Arena and the archbishops of the swedish church was present.

He took place as last in the pew with his right arm on his left shoulder in order to obtain a blessing from the Pope.

When John Paul II arrived to the cathedral of Uppsala, archbishop Werkstrom greated him with these words: “Today St:Peter has arrived to us and his name is John Paul II”

Amen! :thumbsup:

OP: Try to imagine that you are in the upper room at the last supper - which you are. Imagine the entire host of heaven hovering overhead when the “Holy, Holy, Holy” is sung - which they are. Place yourself at the foot of the cross - where you spiritually are. It is for a Divine and eternal reason that it is called the sacrifice of the mass. It’s main intent is not to preach, although you hear that as well. At the mass, which has never ended once Christ began it, time stands still. Time is made irrelevant, as the One Mass is made present to us. Since you cannot yet receive, place yourself in the person of the centurion who exclaimed “Surely, this man was the Son of God!” Talk - even preaching - is cheap, but being in the physical presence of Christ is priceless. It does not matter which Priest is there. He can be a lifelong friend, or one whom you have never seen before. What matters is that Christ is made present to us. When we see Him returning on the clouds of heaven, will all the preaching in the world even matter to us?

How about reading a book which explains the mass? Here is a book that I have and which I can recommend. Another book that I also have and highly recommend is Catholicism for Dummies. You cannot go wrong with it.

Another thought: The Lord did not speak to Elijah from the driving wind, or from the earthquake, or from the fire, but rather in the whisper of a soft breeze. 1 Kings 19:9-12. If you are seeking, the person you are seeking is Jesus Christ. Rather than attending a mass, call the parish and ask when they offer adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. Then go, and sit in silence in the presence of our Lord. Ask Him to reveal His presence to you. You might be amazed sooner, or you might be amazed later, but you will be amazed. You will be a changed person once you know He is there. Then, you will desire the mass like nothing else. Just don’t expect Him to reveal His presence at your command. He waits until your heart is fully opened to Him.

Blessed John Paul II even mentioned this occasion in his encyclical letter Ut Unum Sint, saying:

“In this respect I would like to mention one demonstration dictated by fraternal charity and marked by deep clarity of faith which made a profound impression on me. I am speaking of the Eucharistic celebrations at which I presided in Finland and Sweden during my journey to the Scandinavian and Nordic countries. At Communion time, the Lutheran Bishops approached the celebrant. They wished, by means of an agreed gesture, to demonstrate their desire for that time when we, Catholics and Lutherans, will be able to share the same Eucharist, and they wished to receive the celebrant’s blessing. With love I blessed them. The same gesture, so rich in meaning, was repeated in Rome at the Mass at which I presided in Piazza Farnese, on the sixth centenary of the canonization of Saint Birgitta of Sweden, on 6 October 1991.”

vatican.va/edocs/ENG0221/__PN.HTM

So it seems like Blessed John Paul II approved of this gesture.

As i said, Blessed John Paul II approved of it, so whos authority do you follow, the Blessed Pope or the people at CAF?

??? Why don’t you show the Church documents supporting this, so the rest of us can follow it too? :shrug:

I did in my previous post, he mentioned it in ut unum sint, if you had cared to read my post you would have seen it

You, of course, beat me to it, but truer words were never spoken. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:I like this. Thsnks for the blessing Po:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.