Is there anything the Vatican can do beyond Excommunication?

I ask because I just found a site of "Roman Catholic womenpriests"
romancatholicwomenpriests.org

The website basically says: we know they say we’re excommunicated, but we say that we aren’t.

Roman Catholic Womenpriests reject the penalty of excommunication issued by the Vatican Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith on May 29, 2008 stating that the “women priests and the bishops who ordain them would be excommunicated latae sententiae.” Roman Catholic Womenpriests are loyal members of the church who stand in the prophetic tradition of holy obedience to the Spirit’s call to change an unjust law that discriminates against women. Our movement is receiving enthusiastic responses on the local, national and international level. We will continue to serve our beloved church in a renewed priestly ministry that welcomes all to celebrate the sacraments in inclusive, Christ-centered, Spirit-empowered communities wherever we are called.

Is there anything the Church can do to stop them from using the name “Catholic”? They’re ignoring that they’ve been excommunicated!!!

Well… guess they’re not actually receiving communion, though they think they are, but STILL.

But… is there any way to stop them using the term “Catholic”

They say prayers “In the name of God, out Father and Mother”!

and this is the creed:

We believe in God who is creator and nurturer of all. We believe in Jesus, the Christ, who is our love, our hope, and our light. We believe in the Holy Spirit, the breath of Wisdom Sophia, who energizes and guides us to build caring communities and to challenge oppression, exploitation and injustices. We believe that God loves us passionately and forgives us everything. We believe that we are radiant images of God who calls us to live fully, love tenderly, and serve generously. We believe in the communion of saints our heavenly friends, who support us on life’s journey. We believe in the partnership and equality of women and men in our church and world. We believe that all are one in the Heart of God. We believe that women’s liberation is human liberation. Here we dwell in loving relationships. Here we live our prophetic call of Gospel equality

Can’t the Church tell them to stop using the word “Catholic”? Has it ever been done?

Excommunication is a medicinal penalty. It is not meant to make someone not Catholic or to expel them from the Church. Far from it. In fact, it is meant to move the person to repentance and to seek reconciliation.

If it was, the Orthodox would have done so against the Roman Catholic Church 1000 years ago and the Roman Catholic Church would have done the same against the Orthodox.

Well, there is “anathema”.

Oh wow.
I knew this.
But I totally forgot.
oops
Thank you so much for reminding me.
I feel really bad for like… thinking of trying to punish them now.
That wasn’t very charitable of me, was it?
GAH I just got so mad when I saw the site!!!

A dunking booth ?

What everyone has either forgotton, or has failed to realize is that some people have an unbounded capicity for self delusion…especially when goaded by the evil one. They are like the people who are on the losing side of an argument or a debate and just have to have the last word, wrong though they be!

Well, I believe the last executioner in the Papal States ceased functioning in 1865, so that’s no longer an option either.

This made me laugh and realize again that I was being ridiculous.
Still, I pray these women realize the error of their ways!

Besides, I don’t think the Church can actually execute anyone. Even in the old days, they would “transfer” (or “relax”, but that’s a word whose meaning has changed) recalcitrant or unrepentant offenders to the “secular arm”, who would actually carry out the capital sentence based on their judgment.

[quote="Tarpeian_Rock, post:10, topic:306893"]
Well, I believe the last executioner in the Papal States ceased functioning in 1865, so that's no longer an option either.

[/quote]

Darn ! :thumbsup:

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.