Is there anywhere I can go?

To start off I’m a born and raisied Catholic. My problem is I don’t get along with very many Catholics. At least 4 out of 5 that I meet just rub me the wrong way. At times I am almost embarassed to think that I share a Religion (one that means the world to me) with them. I’m more “realistic” in my beliefs and I don’t think people like that. Does anyone know a nice site (possibly geared to a younger audience) that I would feel comfortable with?

Could you please explain why you find some people offensive or why they rub you the wrong way? Also, what do you mean your beliefs are more “realistic?” Explaining this will help us help you much more.

Maybe it is in part where I live, but Catholics I tend to meet are very judgemental, rude, and inconsiderate to others beliefs. Such as if you are not Catholic you are going to Hell. That just doesn’t seem to be correct and from what I understand is no longer being taught. I do know that my beliefs tend to be a little off the norm. (Now please understand that I do not push what I feel onto others and the only person I have ever truley talked to about this was my Mother.)

A few things that I believe are Homosexuals should be permited to marry through the state, but not the Catholic Church. I don’t feel that people were placed here to procreate, but to teach, love and nurture each other and the world. I do feel that there is a difference in a marriage through the state that is for legal reasons and from a marriage in the church. I also believe that there should be a seperation of church and state for circumstances like these.

Second I believe Mary is the mother of God and that she was without sin. I also feel that there is a very likely chance that she was a heterae and possibly not a physical virgin.

I believe there was more to the story with Mary Magdalen than is being taught. I feel in my heart that there is a love between her and Jesus that no man will ever know. I am in complete amazement by her and Mother Mary. They are my strength when I feel that I can’t go on.

Now I probably offended everybody, which is not what I ever meant to do.

[quote=scarletmommy]Second I believe Mary is the mother of God and that she was without sin. I also feel that there is a very likely chance that she was a heterae and possibly not a physical virgin.

I believe there was more to the story with Mary Magdalen than is being taught. I feel in my heart that there is a love between her and Jesus that no man will ever know.
[/quote]

As for your original post, I’m not sure.

As for this post, I’m just curious as to how you came to these conclusions. Did you read them somewhere convincing or did you just come up with these ideas and they just felt right (sorry, that probably sounded condescending. I didn’t mean it to be; I’m just curious).

Oh, and what is a heterae?:confused:

[quote=scarletmommy]To start off I’m a born and raisied Catholic. My problem is I don’t get along with very many Catholics. At least 4 out of 5 that I meet just rub me the wrong way. At times I am almost embarassed to think that I share a Religion (one that means the world to me) with them. I’m more “realistic” in my beliefs and I don’t think people like that. Does anyone know a nice site (possibly geared to a younger audience) that I would feel comfortable with?
[/quote]

We’re fixing all that. Come on in and join the cafeteria Catholics’ open party at the Guild house. A bunch of orthodox crashed the party, but we’re all sharing hats so we’re having a good time and fellowship, occasionally mixed with heated debate. That’s what happens when you open the tap.

Speaking of tap, have a glass of water, tea, beer, wine, of whatever you prefer – or if you prefer, or course, skip it. Come on in and join us and we’ll commiserate on how people are and see if we can come up with ways of dealing with it.

Your hostess, Penny Plain, is someone most admire for her passion but some seem to despise her views. You can come in whichever you go on that judgment. Talk it up, or sit back and lurk. It’s all good. Praise God for CA Forums!

You don’t have to doubt anything the Church teaches to come in and have some good fellowship, some spirits, and finger sandwiches.

Alan

[quote=scarletmommy] Maybe it is in part where I live, but Catholics I tend to meet are very judgemental, rude, and inconsiderate to others beliefs. Such as if you are not Catholic you are going to Hell. That just doesn’t seem to be correct and from what I understand is no longer being taught.
[/quote]

No, those people are wrong…but you are also wrong in thinking that the doctrine that they speak of is no longer taught…it is…it’s called Extra Ecclesia Nulla Salus which is outside the church there is no salvation–that is correct though dosen’t imply that there are only people in heaven who were Catholics.

I’ll leave your part out out about homosexuality since there are a billion threads about that topic floating around now, and there is no reason to start another one.

[quote=scarletmommy] Second I believe Mary is the mother of God and that she was without sin.
[/quote]

That is a very Catholic position.

[quote=scarletmommy]I also feel that there is a very likely chance that she was a heterae and possibly not a physical virgin.
[/quote]

Ok, two things with this one–the Blessed Virgin Mary’s virginity is something which comes to us from Sacred Tradition and from the other Teachings of the Church. Many of the writings of the early Church fathers attest to this…these teachings first see root in the time just after The Blessed Virgin was Assumed. Secondly, what is a heterae?

[quote=scarletmommy] I believe there was more to the story with Mary Magdalen than is being taught. I feel in my heart that there is a love between her and Jesus that no man will ever know.
[/quote]

That love is reffered to as agape–Greek for Unconditional Love–different from Eros (romantic love) and Philia (Brotherly Love) it was a total and unconditional love…one that Jesus didn’t only have for Mary Magdalen, but also for everyone else. Agape is such a higher form of love and the pinnacle of beauty.

[quote=scarletmommy] I am in complete amazement by her and Mother Mary. They are my strength when I feel that I can’t go on.
[/quote]

It’s nice that you can take solace in the sufferings of the Saints.

[quote=scarletmommy]Now I probably offended everybody, which is not what I ever meant to do.
[/quote]

Nope, you didn’t!

Secondly, what is a heterae?

I looked it up :nope: :

*hetaeras, hetaerae, hetairai
*1. /- ) in ancient Greece: a prostitute, especially a courtesan.

[quote=Genesis315]I looked it up :nope: :

hetaeras, hetaerae, hetairai

1. /- ) in ancient Greece: a prostitute, especially a courtesan.
    [/quote]

Well lets give her a chance to rebutel before we start accusing her of anything. I am hoping that she was just typing very fast. I do it all the time.:smiley:

Yes, perhaps she ment Mary Magdalen

[quote=scarletmommy]To start off I’m a born and raisied Catholic. My problem is I don’t get along with very many Catholics. At least 4 out of 5 that I meet just rub me the wrong way. At times I am almost embarassed to think that I share a Religion (one that means the world to me) with them. I’m more “realistic” in my beliefs and I don’t think people like that. Does anyone know a nice site (possibly geared to a younger audience) that I would feel comfortable with?
[/quote]

I am not saying this to be mean, but based on this and your follow on quote, it seems that the problem is with you.

You seem to be unwilling to accept all the teachings of the Catholic church.

I too was in this same situation once and left the church for 25+ years. I blame alot of my views back then on my religious education. I have worked through these issues and have returned to the church.

I would suggest that you make a list of these issues and work through them one by one. Be it by talking to people, forums such as this and reading books. But by all means keep an open mind.

[quote=scarletmommy] I don’t feel that people were placed here to procreate…
[/quote]

I too don’t feel that people were put here to procreate. When i was studying for my confitmation the answer was…“We were put here to love and serve God”

It appears that you and Dan Brown have a lot in common.

[quote=scarletmommy]Maybe it is in part where I live, but Catholics I tend to meet are very judgemental, rude, and inconsiderate to others beliefs. Such as if you are not Catholic you are going to Hell. That just doesn’t seem to be correct and from what I understand is no longer being taught. I do know that my beliefs tend to be a little off the norm. (Now please understand that I do not push what I feel onto others and the only person I have ever truley talked to about this was my Mother.)

A few things that I believe are Homosexuals should be permited to marry through the state, but not the Catholic Church. I don’t feel that people were placed here to procreate, but to teach, love and nurture each other and the world. I do feel that there is a difference in a marriage through the state that is for legal reasons and from a marriage in the church. I also believe that there should be a seperation of church and state for circumstances like these.

Second I believe Mary is the mother of God and that she was without sin. I also feel that there is a very likely chance that she was a heterae and possibly not a physical virgin.

I believe there was more to the story with Mary Magdalen than is being taught. I feel in my heart that there is a love between her and Jesus that no man will ever know. I am in complete amazement by her and Mother Mary. They are my strength when I feel that I can’t go on.

Now I probably offended everybody, which is not what I ever meant to do.
[/quote]

[quote=MonicaC]Well lets give her a chance to rebutel before we start accusing her of anything. I am hoping that she was just typing very fast. I do it all the time.
[/quote]

I agree (and I do typos all the time). But the silence is getting rather loud.

So I will ask this specifically: [size=4]scarletmommy - are you suggesting that the Mother of Our Lord was possibly a whore?[/size]

Where is your LOVE everyone. She needs to be educated not attacked.

Scarlet, what you have defined as your beliefs are not the same as the Catholic Church, this is why some people have turned a little nasty. It is probably the same reason you dont get along with Catholics in general.

Let me address your points.

The Church condemns homosexuality. Do you realise why? Our Lord gave us sexual organs for creation of new human beings. Those who are homosexual are using their gift of life for mere self-gratification. It is inherently wrong, and that is why we dont believe in allowing any sexual contact between two people of the same sex. While sex is enjoyable, between a man and a woman, it should never be for self gratification but for giving yourself to your spouse in the interest of creating new life. This is why homosexuality is wrong. Maybe you feel that two men should be able to love each other, the truth is we should all love each other as much as we love Jesus, or at least attempt to. The reason why two men should not be “in love” is that in this day and age to be in love means to have sex, ESPECIALLY where homosexuals are concerned, because they disregard some of the Churches basic teachings.

A good article on the issue is :

catholic.com/library/homosexuality.asp

I have looked around the web and can only find heterae to mean high class prostitute or goddess. Both dont really make any sense. However, personallly, reading the bible made it VERY CLEAR how Jesus was created. I highly recommend re-reading Matthew Mark Luke and John. It is amazing how one sees the Truth revealed by the Catholic Church when reading the bible.

If Mary wasnt a virgin then in all honesty one can seriously doubt the credibility of Jesus. He was just another man. The virgin birth is not only a witness to Gods power but also a symbol that, i believe, is linked back to the Old Testament. (It has something to do with the Ark, someone else may know something about it).

Go here:

catholic.com/library/mary_mother_of_god.asp

I believe there was more to the story with Mary Magdalen than is being taught. I feel in my heart that there is a love between her and Jesus that no man will ever know. I am in complete amazement by her and Mother Mary.

While it is possible that she fell “in love” with Jesus, Jesus himself would never EVER be “in love” with a sinner. He loved her, of course, but to suggest that THE SON OF GOD had lustful thoughts and even had children with and about a sinner is VERY WRONG.

See here for further documented proofs that her and Jesus were not an item:

catholic.com/thisrock/2000/0009fea2.asp

cont on next post.

These are catholic answers to the supposed love between Jesus and Mary Magdalene claimed in the da vinci code, but they address your point i feel.

What does The Da Vinci Code claim regarding Jesus’ relationship to Mary Magdalene?

The book claims that the two were married. In fact, it claims that Jesus got Mary Magdalene pregnant, and the two had a daughter. The book states:

Mary Magdalene was pregnant at the time of the crucifixion. For the safety of Christ's unborn child, she had no choice but to flee the Holy Land. . . . It was there in France that she gave birth to a daughter. Her name was Sarah.22

Later the book claims that this union gave rise to a bloodline that still exists in prominent European families (including one of the book’s main characters, Sophie Neveu). It also claims that the Catholic Church knows about this and has covered it up for centuries, even resorting to murdering Christ’s own descendants to protect the secret:

Behold . . . the greatest cover-up in human history. Not only was Jesus Christ married, but He was a father. . . .

The early Church feared that if the lineage were permitted to grow, the secret of Jesus and Magdalene would eventually surface and challenge the fundamental Catholic doctrine-that of a divine Messiah who did not consort with women or engage in sexual union. . . . Many of the Vatican's Grail quests here were in fact stealth missions to erase members of the royal bloodline.23

How do you respond to these claims?**

It is irresponsible and offensive for Brown to impugn the faith of countless Catholics in this fashion. He has no solid evidence to support these contentions, and in the absence of such evidence it is unacceptable to smear the faith of millions with these charges.

A comparable smear would be saying that Lutherans have been murdering the descendants of Luther or that Jewish leaders have been murdering the descendants of Moses. If such charges were made, particularly with no evidence, they would be regarded instantly as vicious and bigoted slanders against what other people hold sacred.

Claiming that Catholics have been killing the descendants of their God is a vile and unacceptable assault on their faith. People of all faiths should regard Dan Brown as the viciously bigoted man that it takes to make this kind of charge.

What is one to make of The Da Vinci Code’s specific claim that Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene?

It is impossible to take this claim seriously.

The reason that Brown and a handful of others (chiefly New Age authors) have tried to identify Mary Magdalene as the wife of Jesus is obvious: She is one of the few women disciplines of Christ who is prominent, whose name we know, and whom we don’t know was married to someone else. Other female disciples of Jesus are known to be married to others (e.g., Joanna the wife of Chuza [Luke 8:3]) or are too insignificant (“the other Mary” [Matt. 28:1]) or we don’t know their names (the Syro-Phoenecian woman [Matt. 15:28]). If one wants to force Jesus into the role of being married, Mary Magdalene is one of the few prominent and (seemingly) available women to be pushed into the role of being his wife.

Furthermore, there is nothing in the New Testament that states or implies that Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene. According to the New Testament, Mary of Magdala was a devout follower of Christ and one of the first witnesses of his Resurrection (cf. Matt. 28:1), but not his wife. There is no evidence in the New Testament or the writings of the Church Fathers that she was married to Jesus.

Jesus also said things that indicated that he wasn’t married to anyone. He explained that some voluntarily refrain from marrying in order to be fully consecrated to God. He says that they “have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven’s sake” (Matt. 19:12). He portrays voluntary abstention from marriage as the highest form of consecration, and as the spiritual leader of the Christian movement, it would be strange for him to hold up such a standard if he himself did not meet it.

Moreover, the early Church was unanimous in regarding Jesus as unmarried. This is not a later doctrine of the Church Fathers but something found in the New Testament itself. The authors of the New Testament regularly depict the Church as “the bride of Christ” (2 Cor. 11:2; Eph. 5:21-33; cf. Rev. 21:9-10). This metaphor would never have developed if a flesh-and-blood “Mrs. Jesus” was living just down the street. Only if Christ was celibate would the Church have come to be depicted metaphorically as his bride.

cont…

**What does Brown claim regarding Mary Magdalene’s role in the early Church?
Brown asserts that in the original Gospels, Mary Magdalene rather than Peter was directed to establish the Church:

According to these unaltered gospels, it was not Peter to whom Christ gave directions with which to establish the Christian Church. It was Mary Magdalene. . . . Jesus was the original feminist.24

Again, there is no basis for this claim. None of the early manuscripts of the Gospels nor any of the quotations of the Gospels in the writings of the early Church Fathers suggest that anything of the kind was said at any stage in the history of the Gospels. Brown’s assertion that “Jesus was the original feminist” is simply pandering to modern secular sensibilities. It in no way represents the historical evidence that exists.

Appealing to prior “unaltered” gospels that had not been doctored by Constantine or others in the early Church is fatuous. There is no evidence that Constantine ordered any copies of Scripture to be changed. If one wishes to claim that he did give such an order, one should be able to back it up with a citation from a contemporary source, but no such passage can be found. None of the surviving records of the period-or even the records of later centuries-record Constantine or any one else attempting to alter the texts of the existing canon to change this or any other doctrine. Brown simply has no evidence to back up his claim.

If Constantine or any one else had tried to change Scripture, Christians would have refused. The Christian Church had just come through an age of persecution in which Christians had been burned at the stake for refusing to deny their Lord and the Scriptures he gave them. To allow those writings to be mutilated would be unthinkable, and any attempt to change them would have resulted in an enormous controversy that would be mentioned in the writings of the period.

It would have been a practical impossibility to change Scripture, because thousands of copies were in existence all across the Mediterranean world, from Europe to North Africa. There was no central registry of who had copies of the Bible, so there was no way to track them down and edit them. There were simply too many copies floating in circulation.

But even if all of the copies then known to exist had been tracked down and altered, this would not have affected the copies of Scripture that by this time already had been lost. Many of the early manuscripts of Scripture that we now have were waiting, lost, in the desert until their discovery by modern archaeology. But when we look at these copies, they teach the same doctrines as later copies and show no evidence of having been censored.

Moreover, the writings of the early Church Fathers from before the time of Constantine show the same teachings and quote the Gospels as saying the same things as in the canonical Gospels.

If you want to read more of feel you have been influenced by the Da vinci code see the full article here:

catholic.com/library/cracking_da_vinci_code.asp

I hope you can see why your current beliefs are not believed by The Church. If possible try and read the CCC( Catechism Catholic Church).

REMEMBER, the devil tries to change our beliefs constantly, it is not wrong to think that what you hold true now is right, it is only natural to defend your current beliefs, BUT the devil has ingrained them upon you, it is up to you to push him out. Is has been said that the Devil uses three main weapons:

Tolerance(of others actions and beliefs)
Adaptation(to include others and their actions and beliefs)
Change(Changing our beliefs to fit in with others)

These three are VERY dangerous and have already infiltrated the church. Without being harsh, scarlet, your current beliefs are wrong and you cannot be a true Catholic unless you realise why they are wrong and cease to believe in them.

Three things to do :

Pray
Pray
Pray

The best cure for anything. You have taken the first step by coming to this forum, now complete the action by pushing the falsehoods out and letting Jesus back in.

I will pray for you.

Andre.

I too don’t feel that people were put here to procreate. When i was studying for my confitmation the answer was…“We were put here to love and serve God”
[/quote]

We were put on this world to procreate AND serve God.

PROCREATION: " …and God blessed them [humans], saying, “Be fertile, multiply, and fill the water of the seas…” Genesis 1:22

TO LOVE: “He said to him, %between%'You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment. The second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Matthew 22: 37-40

I’m going to answer some of the questions in the order I read them.

The only thing I have at my finger tips right now are notes I have from a paper I wrote on Mary Magdalen. The books that I took it from were borrowed from my professor and a fellow student. I will try to contact my professor and see if I can get the complete book title and author…

‘The term prostitute came from the word hierodulae (Starbird 29) (also spelled hetairai) meaning a “highly sophisticated courtesans … who offered intellectual and musical entertainment as well as sex” (H Book 465). They were many times called temple priestesses. By that definition it is shown the hierodulae were much more than common whores, they were an intricate part of mens’ lives and in return society. She would be the person the men confided in, asked advice from, that were entertained by, and yes were pleasured by.’

At that time sex was not considered a sin. It was an important part of daily life. Mary spent her days at the temple. She did this to make a living as a seamstress. The likely hood of her doing more is high. There was nothing wrong with this. Since this wasn’t a sin or ever thought to be wrong she still would have been without sin. It is something hard for people to understand. You have to think of the way they lived thier lives back then, not we are taught today.

[quote=dumspirospero]It appears that you and Dan Brown have a lot in common.
[/quote]

Now I may sound stupid, but who is that? (If any of you are like me you are probably disagreeing with my thoughts and think I’m stupid already.)

[quote=DavidFilmer]I agree (and I do typos all the time). But the silence is getting rather loud.

So I will ask this specifically: [size=4]scarletmommy[/size] - are you suggesting that the Mother of Our Lord was possibly a whore?
[/quote]

First I work all day. What do you mean the silence is getting louder? I can’t sit in front of the comp all day waiting for a responce.

The second part I already addressed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.