Is there hope for a true peace between Muslims and Christians? Hopefully we all pray for that, but I do see one problem that is deeply rooted that seems to be the source of the problem. This is, of cource the nature of Jesus Christ. Let’s be honest, neither side will budge on this issue.
1Jo 2:21 I write to you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and because no lie is of the truth.
1Jo 2:22 Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son.
1Jo 2:23 No one who denies the Son has the Father. Whoever confesses the Son has the Father also. (Douay-Rheims Bible)
- “And Salâm (peace) be upon me the day I was born, and the day I die, and the day I shall be raised alive!”
- Such is 'Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary). (it is) a statement of truth, about which they doubt (or dispute).
- It befits not (the Majesty of) Allâh that He should beget a son [this refers to the slander of Christians against Allâh, by saying that 'Iesa (Jesus) is the son of Allâh]. Glorified (and Exalted be He above all that they associate with Him). When He decrees a thing, He only says to it, “Be!” and it is.
- 'Iesa (Jesus) said]: “And verily Allâh is my Lord and your Lord. So worship Him (Alone). That is the Straight Path. (Allâh’s Religion of Islâmic Monotheism which He did ordain for all of His Prophets).” [Tafsir At-Tabarî]
- Then the sects differed *, so woe unto the disbelievers [those who gave false witness by saying that 'Iesa (Jesus) is the son of Allâh] from the meeting of a great Day (i.e. the Day of Resurrection, when they will be thrown in the blazing Fire).
- How clearly will they (polytheists and disbelievers in the Oneness of Allâh) see and hear, the Day when they will appear before Us! But the Zalimûn (polytheists and wrong-doers) today are in plain error. (The Noble Qur’an, 19. Surah Maryam (Mary))
Do you see my point, each of us has from our “holy books” statements about the divinity of Jesus, and they are contradictory. To summarize"
Christians: those who say Jesus is not God are wrong
Muslims: those who say Jesus is God are wrong
So my question to all of you, both Christians and Muslims, is how can we coexist without anger, war, pain, suffering, etc.*