Is there hope?

Is there hope for a true peace between Muslims and Christians? Hopefully we all pray for that, but I do see one problem that is deeply rooted that seems to be the source of the problem. This is, of cource the nature of Jesus Christ. Let’s be honest, neither side will budge on this issue.

For Christians:

1Jo 2:21 I write to you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and because no lie is of the truth.
1Jo 2:22 Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son.
1Jo 2:23 No one who denies the Son has the Father. Whoever confesses the Son has the Father also. (Douay-Rheims Bible)

For Muslims:

1. “And Salâm (peace) be upon me the day I was born, and the day I die, and the day I shall be raised alive!”
  2. Such is 'Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary). (it is) a statement of truth, about which they doubt (or dispute).
  3. It befits not (the Majesty of) Allâh that He should beget a son [this refers to the slander of Christians against Allâh, by saying that 'Iesa (Jesus) is the son of Allâh]. Glorified (and Exalted be He above all that they associate with Him). When He decrees a thing, He only says to it, “Be!” and it is.
  4. 'Iesa (Jesus) said]: “And verily Allâh is my Lord and your Lord. So worship Him (Alone). That is the Straight Path. (Allâh’s Religion of Islâmic Monotheism which He did ordain for all of His Prophets).” [Tafsir At-Tabarî]
  5. Then the sects differed *, so woe unto the disbelievers [those who gave false witness by saying that 'Iesa (Jesus) is the son of Allâh] from the meeting of a great Day (i.e. the Day of Resurrection, when they will be thrown in the blazing Fire).
  6. How clearly will they (polytheists and disbelievers in the Oneness of Allâh) see and hear, the Day when they will appear before Us! But the Zalimûn (polytheists and wrong-doers) today are in plain error. (The Noble Qur’an, 19. Surah Maryam (Mary))

Do you see my point, each of us has from our “holy books” statements about the divinity of Jesus, and they are contradictory. To summarize"

Christians: those who say Jesus is not God are wrong
Muslims: those who say Jesus is God are wrong

So my question to all of you, both Christians and Muslims, is how can we coexist without anger, war, pain, suffering, etc.*

I doubt that it is possible as long as these absolute opposite exist. Yet, Jehovah’s Witnesses don’t believe in the Divinity of Christ and we don’t have wars with them.

Christianity and Islam will never agree on this matter until Islam ceases to exist. Then, of course, the issue is moot.

Wars would stop if Islam laid down her arms and stopped its use of Jihad as a way to fulfill is universal domination and relied only upon teaching as Christians do.

In short, wars will stop once those who start them lay down their arms but so long as Islam refuses to accept Christ as God there will never be agreement between the two religions.

Dan L

I doubt it too. Islam must be criticized and when you criticize this, many people say to you, do you want to kill them? when I criticized nazism or communism, none understand that I want to kill communists or nazis but in islam, no, happened this.
It´s necessary a great auto-critical exam in islam, because they have made a lot of mistakes, and they believe that are pure and inmaculate, and the Catholic Church with much lesser things are criticized all the days, we want freedom religion in all directions, not only, for the Catholic Church lose members.
The humanity must discover Chist.

I agree with Franze. Unfortunately I can see another war in the future. The two great religions are both gaining steam and members. Soon most people in the world with either be Christian or Islamic. We’d better find a way to make peace or the world will be thrust into another Holy War like those of the Crusades. My only hope is that God will not allow this to happen, unfortunately humans have free will and we use it unwisely. Pray for Peace but don’t expect peace will win every time.

[quote=nucatholic]I agree with Franze. Unfortunately I can see another war in the future. The two great religions are both gaining steam and members. Soon most people in the world with either be Christian or Islamic. We’d better find a way to make peace or the world will be thrust into another Holy War like those of the Crusades…
[/quote]

I disagree. I can’t see an outright Holy War at all. I don’t think Christians would be rallied to war without a specific cry from all Muslims of war against Christianity. I also don’t think that Muslims are stupid enough to make such a declaration - they are much more tactically savvy than that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.