Is there LIFE on Europa? NASA to announce major news in breakthrough press conference

The US group sent out a cryptic message, stating that there is “surprising activity” on Europa – the most well known of Jupiter’s 67 moons.

NASA has been analysing data from its Hubble Space Telescope which is currently prowling the universe.

The space experts said in a statement announcing the event on Monday, to be broadcast live at 7PM UK time: “Astronomers will present results from a unique Europa observing campaign that resulted in surprising evidence of activity that may be related to the presence of a subsurface ocean on Europa.”

Most scientists agree that where there is water, it massively increases the chances of finding life.

More:
express.co.uk/news/science/712852/LIFE-on-Europa-NASA-alien-jupiter

I’m so far behind in astronomy that I thought Jupiter had only 12 moons! Life is one thing, but intelligent life quite another. Still, interesting discovery.

Wait though…what kind of source is this?

Supposedly NASA! The head honchos :):slight_smile:

If you knew the twelve moons, you’ve heard of Europa. It’s the second of the giant or Galilean moons, visible by telescope from Earth. It’s the size of the planet Mercury, and covered by a global icecap. Where there is ice, there may be flowing water.

Still, I heard that NASA has since said that the upcoming message is not alien related. Sorry to burst your bubbles.

ICXC NIKA

Ah darn, no announcement of “cute aliens” forthcoming? Sniff Sniff :slight_smile:

Who knew that NASA was such a tease? :o

NASA to Hold Media Call on Evidence of Surprising Activity on Europa

NASA will host a teleconference at 2 p.m. EDT Monday, Sept. 26, to present new findings from images captured by the agency’s Hubble Space Telescope of Jupiter’s icy moon, Europa.

Astronomers will present results from a unique Europa observing campaign that resulted in surprising evidence of activity that may be related to the presence of a subsurface ocean on Europa. Participants in the teleconference will be:

Paul Hertz, director of the Astrophysics Division at NASA Headquarters in Washington
William Sparks, astronomer with the Space Telescope Science Institute in Baltimore
Britney Schmidt, assistant professor at the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta
Jennifer Wiseman, senior Hubble project scientist at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland
To participate by phone, media must contact Dwayne Brown at 202-358-1726 or dwayne.c.brown@nasa.gov and provide their media affiliation no later than noon Monday.

Audio of the teleconference will stream live on NASA’s website at:

nasa.gov/live

nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-to-hold-media-call-on-evidence-of-surprising-activity-on-europa

I thought they believed for decades that there was liquid, or perhaps slushy water under an immense ice cover on Europa. This is new? :shrug:

Just nasa trying to remind people (and the government) that they still exist. A friend of mine is one of the few remaining employees and he has said nothing if this.

I’m sure it will be presented as an exiting opportunity to explore (which it is) but really it’s just another plea to the budget committee.

Seems like NASA has adopted the Julian Assange playbook for releasing information. Not very collegial of them.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/aliens/images/d/d2/EuropaReport.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140112211043"Cute"

They’re trying to avoid going poof, sadly. No surprise.

ICXC NIKA

Is there really evidence that NASA is not long for this world, or is this simply fashionable world-weariness?

I for one think that would be a shame.

No manned spaceships in five years. For the first time since 1960, no prospect for them, either. Human beings flying in space under the Stars and Stripes increasingly look like last generation’s dream.

Budgetary pressures that seem more and more like a neckhold with each iteration.

No, nothing has been said, but I’m sure it seems to some that this time Houston has a big problem.

ICXC NIKA

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.