Is there no salvation outside the Catholic Church?

I just finished reading a pretty exhaustive book by Francis A. Sullivan, S.J. entitled Salvation Outside the Church? Tracing the History of the Catholic Response. He is a Jesuit who has taught theology for many years at Gregorian University in Rome.

But… after more than 200 pages, I am still confused as to whether salvation can be found outside the Catholic Church.

I know that this axiom is an imperfect way of describing the Church’s role in the divine economy of salvation… but can anyone just answer me this simple question: Does the Roman Catholic Church have a necessary role in the salvation of every human being, be him Christian or non-Christian?

pcg2,

The following links should assist you in better understanding the Catholic Church’s teaching on salvation for non-Catholics. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

[LIST]
]* Salvation** from the Catholic Answers Library
]Extra ecclesiam nulla salus*
]* Salvation Outside of the Church**
]* What is invincible ignorance?**
[/LIST]

[LIST]
*]Is Catholicism the only true religion (Christian)?
]* Do suicide bombers go to heaven?**
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.