Is there or isn't there such a thing as a non-catholic christian?

Hi all,

I started this thread as not to get off the topic of the current thread I am on.

In the thread of discussing salvation, I know catholics believe that the CC is the One and only True Church Jesus founded.

I believe as many non catholic christians do…
Jesus’ church body includes catholics and all the non-catholic christians (protestants , lutherans, methodists, evangelicals, presbyterians, penticostals etc…) who are believers in Jesus Christ and will die not catholic.

I have had catholics offer their prayers so that God will open my heart and inspire me to come home to His church so that I may have the fullness of truth

I personally believe as a non catholic christian, attending an AOG non denomonational church, I am as close to God as you are.

however, that debate is not the main reason for the thread, but the subject may come up

in the salvation thread I asked…

what is wrong with being a non catholic christian?

in other words protestant , lutheran, methodist, evangelical, presbyterian, penticostal etc…

one response I got was

PRmerger

It’s having a platonic friendship with Jesus, when you could be married to him

another which is the reason I opened this thread is

AChris

There’s no such thing.

**Well is there or isn’t there such a thing as a non catholic christian? **

another question,

**if there isn’t what do you catholics see me as?

“protestant”?**

well protestants are not catholic, but it is my belief that they are christian

that is why I use the term non-catholic christian

thank you all

God bless

Not very sure what you really want from this thread. The CCC is very clear in how it regards Protestants and one of it is that they are considered Christians. OTOH there are Protestant denominations that consider Catholics not Christians.

wow Reuben did not know this and this is sad if you are right

I am deeply sorry to hear of such a thing. dang:(:(:frowning:

oh my …no wonder why such an attitude towards protestants by some posters.

I guess satan is hard at work
to rob steal and destroy anything we christians have in Jesus name

thank you and God bless

I love your signature :thumbsup:

Well, I used to be Catholic and because of their understanding of their sacraments I guess they still consider me one.
I do consider myself a non-Catholic Christian.
I turned away from the RCC, got saved and baptized.
So I guess after all I am a Protestant (as much as Martin Luther was one who was baptized as an infant too).
I know a lot of very true and faithful Christians who have never in their life been Catholic… The majority at my church is in that group… There are a few former Catholics too however and they all share the same deep faith in our Lord and Saviour.
We are Christians apart from the RCC.

You are a Christian if you believe in the Trinity - the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit as equal and the one and only God.

Having said that, I would be a bad Catholic if I do not say that being not a Catholic you do not have the fullness of truth. I don’t want to be bad Catholic and so you may know that’s what we think about you Protestants. But you wouldn’t want to speak about this in this thread, do you?

But don’t feel bad about it as I am sure you will not agree about not having the fullness of truth. If this is some consolation - we recognize that there are many good holy Christians among Protestants. :):thumbsup:

And God bless you too.

Which signature is that? :slight_smile:

It gladens me that we agree on this. One ia about the sacredness of life and the other is a proclamation of the mystery of faith which we proclaim during the mass.

Ya do take care.

I know that there are individual Protestants and individual churches that make this claim, but I have been unaware that there are any Protestant denominations that do so. Do you know which ones? Do they document this online? Just curious.

Janet-
Do you not think getting baptized more then one time is wrong? I does say in the bible one faith one baptism?
I dont know why some religions claim a person needs to be rebaptized. In my opinion that is pretty wrong to think you needed to be baptized again?

My friend is Southern baptist, and she told me her family, and church believes that Catholicism is a cult and we are going to hell. I dont know if her church per say taught this… But where else would she learn it from? We were only like 14.

The reason that some Baptists think that Catholics are going to hell is that some Catholics have gotten away from salvation by faith. Actually many protestants have gotten away from salvation by faith also. Whether you are Catholic or Protestant, what you believe about salvation is the most important decision you will ever make.

The Bible says over and over again that we are saved by faith, not by being Catholic or Protestant. Here is just a sample of verses that prove this: Ephesians 2:8-9 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 1:13-14 and you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory. Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. Romans 3:38 For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law. Galatians 3:2-3 I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard? 3Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort?

There is no combination effort of faith and works leading to salvation, but that doesn’t mean that you can believe with faith and then do whatever you want after that either. If someone really repents and accepts Jesus as their savior by faith alone, then he is saved. But it does matter how you live your life. By not doing God’s will, we dishonor God. He said to obey His commands and go to Church. If someone says they have accepted Jesus and feel no obligation to change or live a certain way, then he should question if he really accepted Jesus. But if you are sure that you are saved, it is certainly possible to sin and go to heaven. The purging of sin is a process. It can’t be done all at once. Christians often backslide, but thanks to God our salvation does not depend on our ability to stop sinning.

No, I did think that I needed to be baptized and I am happy that I did…
The reason is that baptism is an act of obedience towards God. I got saved and the logical next step is getting baptized…
When I got baptized as an infant I did not have any say in it and I could not choose to live for the Lord.

As a Friend, I do not practice the “outward signs” of rituals and rites so I do not believe being dunked or sprinkled in water or sharing in a ritual meal makes us one…but it is the Holy Spirit who makes us one in Him who join in faith…but while “your” beliefs may not encompass me “in the household of faith”, my belief encompass “you” and any who profess faith in Christ…even if that faith IMO is “lacking” and “limited”…and seeks to live by the two greatest commandments of loving God and loving one’s neighbor as oneself…they are my brothers and sisters in Christ…all whom Christ has redeemed I am joined with in faith…whethere “they” beleive it to be so or not…it is MY responsibility to walk the Path and embrace them…not “theirs” to embrace me.

I keep forgetting about that rule myself. :smiley:

It was at this board that I discovered infant baptism in the eyes of a Catholic, make one a catholic for life. That was the extent of my catholic experience…infant baptism.

Yes there are a non-Catholic Christians. Really not much more that can be added to that. There just is.

God bless

I know that might be the opinion of your friend’s family and church. But is it the position of the Southern Baptist denomination.

I know that Charles Colson and Billy Graham are Southern Baptists, and they, like me, would be called ecumenical evangelicals.

I’m a Reformed Protestant. I believe all Christians who have been born from above and united to Christ are catholic. Are you familar with the Apostle’s Creed? Catholic means universal. When Reformed Christians say that they are catholic, it means universal which is different than when Catholics use the word Catholic on this site.

SDA? :shrug:

God bless

How about new born christians in general? I once did a mops group which meet at a Methodist church and that church as a whole would constantly tell us Catholics how we were not Christian. I thought it was the whole Church that believed this but since I have moved away from that town and meet other Methodist I have found this not to be true.

Also with most Protestant churches one denomination might believe one thing but another group from another church but in the same denomination will believe something totally different. So it is hard to pin point one whole group who doesn’t believe Catholics are Christian but believe me they are out there. But it is also good to know that there are more Protestant who do know and believe that Catholics are Christians.

It’s not the official teaching of any organized denomination I’m aware of other than Seventh Day Adventists.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.