Is there really a link between tobacco and cancer?

Does anyone know if there is a strong link between chewing tobacco and cancer? My husband tells me that's just part of the liberal agenda to control everyone. He might be right or he might be making it up to get me off his back about quitting. I want him to quit because he has his fourth little one on the way. I lost my dad three years ago. I couldn't imagine going through childhood without him. I don't want that for my kids. If anyone knows of a good resource one way or the other I would REALLY like to know about it! Thank you for your time!

quitsmoking.about.com/od/tobaccostatistics/a/cancerstats.htm

I think that there is. It's only lately that I've been hearing about conspiracy theories regarding smoking being harmless.

Just by casual observation smokers seem to age quicker than non smokers (more facial lines etc.) My Godfather smoked about a pack a day, he died of a heart attack at 49.

I think your DH should quit as well. Second hand smoke is not good for babies. Even that lingering smell is not good for babies.

I hope this isn't medical advice. :)

Ummm... I think that link is fairly certain... just google "chewing tobacco cancer" and you'll find dozens of websites citing studies about the link. :shrug:
Quitting has to be a personal choice, though... obviously he's trying to convince himself that it's not an issue by brushing it off as the "liberal media agenda" :rolleyes:... which really doesn't make any SENSE because who would be profiting from getting people to quit? Obviously the tobacco growers don't want people to quit... :blush:
It's and excuse and a diversionary tactic to get you off his back... :o

I highly advise suggesting that he has regular oral cancer screenings done at his dentist - many provide this service these days. Heck, I've had the oral cancer screening and I don't even have ANY risk factors!!... but I'm an advocate for my own health, so I try to listen to my doctor's and dentist's advice.

For the sake of YOU and your children... I encourage you to continue to pester him. If he's not going to be an advocate for his own health, then that's what you're there for! :thumbsup:

from webmd:

webmd.com/oral-health/tc/health-risks-related-to-spit-tobacco-chewing-tobacco-or-snuff-topic

There are patches that form on the inside of the cheek or gum that can lead to oral cancer. The specific risks are not listed. They suggest consulting your doctor. You might want to talk to your primary care doctor if your husband is not open to discussing it. Importantly, they say there is as much nicotine as in cigarettes, making them as hard for people to quit using.

He actually thinks smokeless tobacco is ok though which is why he chews instead of smokes. So those stats on about.com don’t apply to him, right? Or does that include smokeless tobacco? I have done google searches but the problem with that is that anyone can publish something online. I would like to see things from people who have a good reputation but I wouldn’t even know who that is!
I really does need to get him to the dentist. He “never has time” but I’m just going to start pushing it more. The dentist would be able to see if something looks like it might turn bad right?

[quote="Mommyjessica, post:5, topic:217499"]
He actually thinks smokeless tobacco is ok though which is why he chews instead of smokes. So those stats on about.com don't apply to him, right? Or does that include smokeless tobacco? I have done google searches but the problem with that is that anyone can publish something online. I would like to see things from people who have a good reputation but I wouldn't even know who that is!
I really does need to get him to the dentist. He "never has time" but I'm just going to start pushing it more. The dentist would be able to see if something looks like it might turn bad right?

[/quote]

There are "oral cancer screenings" that can be done at the dentist...
This is what I have had: vizilite.com/

Reputable websites with statistics:
cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Tobacco/smokeless
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15470264
mayoclinic.com/health/chewing-tobacco/CA00019

That information is from WebMD, not about.com. They claim to have medically accurate information, at least in general. According to them there are risks from chewing/smokeless tobacco. But they do say in smaller print below that information to see a doctor. It does sound like he needs to see a doctor or dentist and get personal advice. That might be better than trying to figure out whether information on the Net is trustworthy. If he won’t see someone, you might want to see a doctor and ask if you can discuss your husband’s habits and any health risks that might result. Some doctors may tell you general risks from his behavior by talking to you rather than him, but you might want to check ahead of time b/c they really can’t specifically address the health situation of someone they haven’t seen.

For what it's worth, there are a lot of studies (independent) out there that prove a link between tobacco and cancer. For it to be a conspiracy, it would have to be world-wide (and be very hard to carry out). There are other health problems as well (such as lung infections, emphysema, etc.) For smokeless tobacco, you have dental and gum problems, loss of teeth, etc.

If the health aspect of it doesn't catch his attention, maybe go at it from an economic angle. Have a friend who is good with accounting crunch the numbers. If you saved the money instead of your husband spending it on tobacco you might be able to go on a family vacation, start a college savings, etc. (It's amazing what a lifetime of $20 or whatever a week will add up to compounded).

Now, having said all that. I think there is a grain of truth to what your husband says and maybe statistics are skewed a bit. My father died of colon cancer in his late 50s. He smoked, but quit when he was 30-years-old. Even though nearly half a lifetime had passed since he quit, on his death certificate it said death/cancer was smoking related and I am sure is counted in the statistics of tobacco related deaths. I am sorry, I just don't think his smoking all those years ago gave him colon cancer.

Chew causes cancers of the lip, gum, cheek and esophagus.

A neighbor of mine had cancer of the cheek, he had to have most of the muscle in his face removed and a lot of bone in his jaw.

Print off a colored picture and give it to your husband. He's in denial, as most addicted people are.

killthecan.org/pics/

The relationship between "Tobacco" and "Cancer" brings into question all of the additives that are in todays major brands of cigarettes and chew/dip. (sort of like RBST in Milk or High Fructose Corn Syrup in almost everything)

Which is the cause: the tobacco, all of the additives that are being ingested or both? I assume inhaled chemicals go right into the blood versus digested chemicals.(I don't know for sure) (BTW: the chemicals are NOT listed on the cigarette pack....)

I prefer 100% Natural, Organic Cigars. I do not inhale them but enjoy the flavor. My cigars do not contain anything other than Tobacco leaves. Are they safer? I don't know.

Are there studies on the additives versus the tobacco? Remember, if the additives did not help hook you on the product they would not be putting them in there.
:eek:

and if you didn’t get enough links here’s another one:

cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Tobacco/smokeless (Oh wait someone already linked you here) This link is from the National Cancer Institute.

Your husband is in denial pure and and simple. He might be fooling himself but don’t let him fool you.

I don’t know whether or not “chewing” tobacco will cause cancer, but I do know smoking cigarettes does cause cancer!!! My sister smoked from the time she was a young teenager until she was diagnosed with cancer when she was in her 70’s. There is NO cigarette that is worth what my sister went through. When her son called me and told me his Mom had passed away, I thanked God because she was in agony.
What I don’t understand is how many young people are smoking today – I live near a couple of high schools and am totally amazed at how many of the teenagers are outside of the school smoking – it is all I can do not to jump out of my car and try to tell them how dangerous smoking is – but of course, I felt they would think “what is this old lady talking about”.

[quote="jhynds, post:10, topic:217499"]
The relationship between "Tobacco" and "Cancer" brings into question all of the additives that are in todays major brands of cigarettes and chew/dip. (sort of like RBST in Milk or High Fructose Corn Syrup in almost everything)

Which is the cause: the tobacco, all of the additives that are being ingested or both? I assume inhaled chemicals go right into the blood versus digested chemicals.(I don't know for sure) (BTW: the chemicals are NOT listed on the cigarette pack....)

I prefer 100% Natural, Organic Cigars. I do not inhale them but enjoy the flavor. My cigars do not contain anything other than Tobacco leaves. Are they safer? I don't know.

Are there studies on the additives versus the tobacco? Remember, if the additives did not help hook you on the product they would not be putting them in there.
:eek:

[/quote]

Don't kid yourself they are both going to kill you, one just sooner then the other.

Yes, chewing tobacco can lead to cancer of the mouth. However, what bothers me about chewing tobacco is that it is such a repulsive habit(i.e. it involves spitting). In my opinion, it is poor modeling for your children. On the other hand, I am not aversive to smoking at all, though I dislike when it is done by high school students and those who are younger.

[quote="Mommyjessica, post:1, topic:217499"]
Does anyone know if there is a strong link between chewing tobacco and cancer? My husband tells me that's just part of the liberal agenda to control everyone. He might be right or he might be making it up to get me off his back about quitting. I want him to quit because he has his fourth little one on the way. I lost my dad three years ago. I couldn't imagine going through childhood without him. I don't want that for my kids. If anyone knows of a good resource one way or the other I would REALLY like to know about it! Thank you for your time!

[/quote]

Sounds to me like someone either trying to justify why they're smoking or someone scared of/unable to accept the truth. Does he think that the risks of eating a lot leading to obesity are part of the liberal agenda too? The smoking-cancer risk has been heavily proven in countless studies, accepted by every Western government, and peer-reviewed etc etc. The likelihood that its a conspiracy would be very hard to carry out, and I'm not sure what the motive behind it would be. To control everyone? He has the freedom to smoke, no one is forcing him to stop, but they are providing the facts.

Smoking around children increases their risk of cancer and other health problems. My cousin became deaf in one ear when she was a toddler because her mother smoked during the pregnancy and around the baby. There is a woman in the UK who was reported in the papers as suffering from emphysema - smoker's lung. She had never smoked a day in her life but her parents smoked 40 a day so she ended up with a chronic illness which could lead to more serious health conditions.

Personally I think that smoking around children should become illegal. Especially when you're pregnant/near pregnant women. To me its a physical representation of one person's sin being passed on to the next generation. And yes, I considor smoking a sin because it is knowingly harming your body.

[quote="jhynds, post:10, topic:217499"]

[/quote]

Actually, with chewing tobacco the companies actually put stuff (fiber glass I think) in the tobacco to cause microscopic cuts in your gums and cheeks to get the tobacco into your blood stream directly. (This is from a high school research project so I do not have a link). Though it would explain why oral cancers are more prevalent among those who chew.

You know, there is plenty of research about this and others have pointed you to it. But, to me, it is irrelevant. If you want your husband to quit, he should quit. I used chewing tobacco for quite a few years prior to meeting my wife. She let me know that she really wanted me to quit and I had to decide if I loved the tobacco more than I loved her. The decision was very easy to make even if the quitting wasn’t easy. Your wishes that he quit should over-ride any tobacco-cancer risks.

Peace

Tim

It can be linked, but not in everyone. What causes cancer in one person may not cause it in another.

I actually think I’ve heard that before, I just forgot about it. I should tell that to him.

I agree with you all about the “conspiracy” being far fetched. I wanted to make sure that I’m not just believing what I want because I don’t like the habit. It really is disgusting and takes away from the romance…I don’t know about the other women but I would never kiss a man with a dip in. Never have and never will. I don’t like that my kids see it and might be thinking they’d like some. It would be devastating if one of them got the habit only because they learned from their dad.

The extra money would be so nice! It’s $4 a day which definitely adds up. We’d probably have the downpayment for a house saved up by now!

The links have been very helpful and do come from reliable sources. I will have to show them to my husband and see hat he thinks. Thank you!

Jesus,our Lords peace be whit You.
I never read what others ansver to keep my integrity,so sorry if I chew (not the best choise of word) the same ansvers over again.
I am a heavy smoker,and I do believe that there is if not a direct link,then atleast something that can make You get cancer easier,but if it is a direct link or not,I honestly don't know,and I can't give medical advises here.
Chewing-tobacco is however a problem here in Finland,it is easy to get from Sweden,under the EU-rule it is not allowed to be sold here but Sweden got a special deal on it,something about that it is their "identity". What we know is that chewin-tobacco causes mouth cancer,but so does pipe-smoking,and cigarettes aswell. It is a thin line between direct link or not,but I don't think any doctor can say for 100% sure that it causes cancer. Anyway,I urge everyone I know to stop if they can,and don't start if they have not yet do it. I can't stop,I once tryed,and three patches and I still wanted a cigarett. I have said this before,but as Mark Twain once said,"It is easy to stop smoking,I have done it a thousand times." But talk to Your husband,and pray to God he will listen to You,I wish You can make him stop,I realy do.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.