Is there really a "single" vocation?

And by that, I mean a vocation lasting the rest of your life in which you remain neither in religious life or marriage? How do you possibly discern that? And what is the purpose of it?

I'm wondering if it really is a calling, or if it was just invented to give people a "softer" option.

Here is what Father Benedict Groeschel has to say.

I personally think it depends on the person and the situation. I wouldn’t say that remaining celibate for life would be any easier for a single lady or man than a nun or priest. There are also Consecrated Virgins who I would say have a role in society. I wouldn’t say that it is necessarily a softer vocation, though.

We can be assured that no matter our vocation and call in life, that The Lord will see to it that all the Graces and sacrifices necessary to make saints of us will be present in our journey no matter to what He may call us to in life. No problems whatsoever!

I am in the single state under private vows and having had experience in monastic life, no - the single state is certainly not by far the 'softer' option chosen for that reason i.e. "soft". It is a call and vocation and most often I should think to a specific way of life. I made private vows the evangelical counsels and to a specific way of life with spiritual direction and this journey with spiritual direction continues today and some 30 or more years later.
Private Vows are covered under Canon Law.

The single celibate state can, of course, also be a transitory call, as before marriage.

POST-SYNODAL
APOSTOLIC EXHORTATION
**VITA CONSECRATA **
OF THE HOLY FATHER
JOHN PAUL II
TO THE BISHOPS AND CLERGY
RELIGIOUS ORDERS AND CONGREGATIONS
SOCIETIES OF APOSTOLIC LIFE
SECULAR INSTITUTES
AND ALL THE FAITHFUL
ON THE CONSECRATED LIFE AND ITS MISSION
IN THE CHURCH AND IN THE WORLD

vatican.va/holy_father/jo...ecrata_en.html

[LEFT]We are all aware of the treasure which the gift of the consecrated life in the variety of its charisms and institutions represents for the ecclesial community. Together let us thank God *for the Religious Orders and Institutes devoted to contemplation or the works of the apostolate, for Societies of Apostolic Life, for Secular Institutes and for other groups of consecrated persons, *
[quote]*as well as for all those individuals who, in their inmost hearts, dedicate themselves to God by a special consecration. *

The Synod was a tangible sign of the universal extension of the consecrated life, present in the local Churches throughout the world. The consecrated life inspires and accompanies the spread of evangelization in the different parts of the world, where Institutes from abroad are gratefully welcomed and new ones are being founded, in a great variety of forms and expressions.Consequently, although in some parts of the world Institutes of Consecrated Life seem to be experiencing a period of difficulty, in other places they are prospering with remarkable vitality. This shows that the choice of total self-giving to God in Christ is in no way incompatible with any human culture or historical situation. Nor is the consecrated life flourishing within the Catholic Church alone. In fact, it is particularly vibrant in the monasticism of the Orthodox Churches, where it is an essential feature of their life. It is also taking root or re-emerging in the Churches and Ecclesial Communities which originated in the Reformation, and is the sign of a grace shared by all of Christ's disciples. This fact is an incentive to ecumenism, which fosters the desire for an ever fuller communion between Christians, "that the world may believe" (*Jn *17:21).[/LEFT]

[/quote]

Very often, the single lay state is referred to as "the celibate state" in the laity, which of course it is :

vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_exhortations/documents/hf_jp-ii_exh_30121988_christifideles-laici_en.html

POST-SYNODAL APOSTOLIC EXHORTATION
OF HIS HOLINESS JOHN PAUL II
ON THE VOCATION AND MISSION
OF THE LAY FAITHFUL IN THE CHURCH
AND IN THE WORLD

[LEFT]The Various Vocations in the Lay State[/LEFT]

[LEFT]…………………Along the same line the Second Vatican Council states: "**
[quote]This lay spirituality

** should take its particular character from the circumstances of one's state in life (married and familylife, celibacy, widowhood), from one's state of health and from one's professional and social activity. All should not cease to develop earnestly the qualities and talents bestowed on them in accord with these conditions of life and should make use of the gifts which they have received from the Holy Spirit"(208)………….. [/LEFT]

[/quote]

More info and opinions in this thread:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=7681320#post7681320

It is called consecrated virginity.

St Ambrose have a wonderful book about consecrated virginity

I want to live a single life for Jesus, I have vowed my chastity for him.

There is no consecrated virgins (the ceremony) yet available in my country. It needs to be blessed by a bishop.

There are many saints who are consecrated virgins, one of them is St. Ceacilia, St. Agnes, St. Maria Goretti

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.