Is there salvation outside of the Catholic Church?

Hi There, I am a devout Catholic and my fiance is a Protestant. He is constantly challenging me about my faith. Why I pray to statues, why I believe in Purgatory etc etc, the common questions asked. But that’s not the problem for me (I can answer most of it). But 2 weeks ago, he found an article from the Second Vatican Council called Nostra Aetate.

My question is: What does this article mean? To him, it means that the Catholic Church stated that there are salvation outside of Jesus Christ. Is his assumption correct? If so, what are the requirements to be saved outisde of Jesus Christ when it is clearly written in the Bible that Jesus is the way, the truth and the Light and NO ONE can come to the Father unless through Him.

I am very concern as our wedding plans may be cancelled because of this fundamental difference. I am very confused as I believe differently, when I read the article I concluded that this is only a statement by the Church that they respect and acknowledge other religions and beliefs. But my fiance pushed on that if the Church respect and acknowledge, it means that she believes that there’s salvation in these other religions. Please help. I am desperate and confused and personally, I’d like to know and understand this myself.

I personally DON’T believe that salvation is a matter of Accepting Jesus ONLY. I strongly believe that faith without deed is dead. and also, I believe that when a person is brought up in an environment that doesn’t allow them to fully understand and know who Jesus is, but they live a good life, then there’s a chance for them to be accepted in heaven.

Please advise immediately as I am so confused right now.

Hi,

Relax–you believe correctly. What he is referring to has to do with what is called invincible (innocent) ignorance. IF a non-Catholic lives as decent a life as he can–and THROUGH NO FAULT OF HIS OWN–does not know or understand that the Catholic Church is the only Church founded by Jesus and is the only way to Salvation, that person can go to heaven.

See: catholic.com/library/Salvation_Outside_the_Church.asp

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.