Is there scripture supporting Purgatory?

I am a fairly new Catholic I was confirmed into the Holy Catholic Church Easter of 2009. I love being Catholic and embrace all teachings of the Holy Catholic Church. My understanding of Purgatory is as follows.
If one dies in a state of grace but has not been as the protestants would say “Santified” then they would go to Purgatory which is more like a state of being… purified, or made Holy so that we can enter fully into the presence of God. It is my understanding it is like a refiner’s fire being purified by fire or purged. The pain is not so much caused by God but by our own letting go of our own self and letting go of all the things that we are having difficultly letting go, dying to one’s self.
I may have that wrong, and recently an old protestant school friend politely critized my belief in Purgatory and stated that I should now better being raised a protestant. I held my stand and explained purgatory to the best of my ability. He asked for scripture supporting the Catholic stand on purgatory but I did not know the scripture that the Catholic Church bases there belief and stand on purgatory. Can you please help me and explain it more fully for me and enlighten me if I my understanding is not correct and also, the scripture used by the Church to support purgatory?
Thank you so much for your time.
Sincerely,
Bekah

The following links should help answer your questions about Purgatory. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

[LIST]
*] Purgatory
*] The Roots of Purgatory
*]Do Catholics still believe in purgatory?
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.