Is there such thing as an unforgivable sin?

Are there any sins that can never be forgiven? If so, what are they?

There is only one sin that can never be forgiven. It is the sin of blaspheming the Holy Spirit. That is the sin of refusing to ask God to forgive you. In other words, God will forgive you of anything as long as you ask Him. But if you refuse to ask for His forgiveness, He will not forgive you.

This is a sin because you would be saying that you have more authority than God when it comes to your sins.

Hope this helps, I’ll keep an eye on this thread for a while, so if you have any more questions go ahead and post them.

God bless

:thumbsup:

No sin is unforgivable! The only way you won’t get forgiven is if you don’t ask. (Or if you’re unrepentant, which is about the same as not asking, because it shows that you don’t care about sinning, meaning that you put yourself before God)

In other words, the only sin that can’t be forgiven is the one you won’t let be forgiven.

For my understanding, yes and no.

Yes.

Not loving God, self and others.

It is unforgivable, as long as one hates.

It shall always be unforgivable.

When one starts loving God, then the selfishness is healing.

That is pretty much what I meant. Sorry, I didn’t do to good of a job explaining in my last post. Here is another go at it.:thumbsup: Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is refusing to ask for God’s forgiveness even unto the point of death. In other words, as you said, God will forgive any sin we repent of. This is what Jesus meant here:

Matthew 12:31Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)

31 Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.

Jimmy Akin does a better job of explaining this verse here:

catholic.com/radio/shows/open-forum-8368#

God bless

Hardness of heart. Another word for it is impenitence…refusal to be sorry. Shutting the door on the Holy Spirit who is love.

Another sin is that of not forgiving our neighbor, like in the Our Father.
“…forgive us our sins as we forgive others…”

Both of these situations may be changed by the person cooperating with God.

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.