Is there variance in daily Mass readings?

I attended weekday Mass at the Diocese chapel yesterday (Beheading of St. John the Baptist, Aug. 29). The priest was vested in red and the prayers were all about this, yet the readings they used were not; not even the same as the daily readings I found from many sources that were. They used a different OT reading, Psalm and the Gospel was from Mt. about the ten wise virgins instead of the feast day’s Gospel reading from Mk. about St. John’s beheading. Being the Diocese, it’s not like some small liberal church. Why would this be? Are there various readings to choose from?

thanks

My assumption is that whoever set up the Lectionary forgot to turn to the readings for the feast day. It sounds like the readings were from Friday of the 21st Week of Ordinary Time. The readings should have been from the feast day, but mistakes do occasionally happen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.