Is this a good and correct analogy of the Catholic doctrine of Salvation?

Last night, I was discussing Redemptive Suffering with Protestants and the doctrine of Salvation was brought up. I told them that the Catholic view of Salvation was analogous to a fish swimming upstream, the fish was in the stream (that is in a state of grace) but if it didn’t keep moving it would be swept back into the sea. So the same would be true of Salvation, as long as one is in a state of grace, one was guaranteed Heaven, but if one doesn’t work hard to makes one’s Salvation assured one would be sept away by the World, the Flesh, and the Devil, one cannot stay still in this life, we are either going up or down.

Is this a good and correct analogy?

Glory to God!
and
Hail Mary!

I thinks its a good analogy.

One thing some Protestants can’t grip is the reality of mortal sin. They can talk about how Scripture and how Christ is open to salvation for all, but they neglect the Scriptures (and Catholic Theology) where it states that one can lose Salvation through serious(mortal) sin.

…if one doesn’t work hard to makes one’s Salvation assured, one would be swept away by the World, the Flesh, and the Devil, one cannot stay still in this life, we are either going up or down.

A Catholic would not use the “work hard” terminology, although perhaps accurate, it sounds like a Calvinist accusation against the Church.

Read the Catechism on Grace and Justification.

I don’t think it is a bad analogy. Remember, when you discuss these things with Protestants, to always leave them with at least one Scripture that represents your point. Perhaps one that would be good for your point is from Revelations. In the promises to the seven churches, he requires them to first remain steadfast, overcome, conquer, until the end. Or St Paul Teaches that we will receive the glory of God and be heirs of Himself, provided we suffer with Him.

I think you are right to acknowledge that we are first saved by God apart from anything done by ourselves. He willed to love us and bring Salvation to us, through the life of Jesus. When we receive this gift, through the gift and conversion of faith, we also are called to walk in this faith. Temptations and testing is inevitable. We can never have faith without the fruit of faith. This is all the Catholic doctrine expresses, not that works earn faith. It is more that works complete faith, and so participate in our salvation. We are judged by our works and God knows our hearts. Our works are not independent of our heart, and our heart is not independent of our works. Our works reveal where our heart is.

And so long as we are alive, we are able to repent and reconcile our hearts before Him.

Just a couple of thoughts.
1The stream is both the grace of God and the evil of the world?
2. Why does the designer set the stream in opposition to the goal.
3. Not all fish swim upstream is that universal salvation?
4. Once again the analogy for heaven is sexual…;):smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.