Is this a good study guide?

I was wondering if anyone has read the book by Thomas Nelson publishers Every Catholic’s guide to the Sacred Scriptures

I was wondering what you guys think of this book. My friend gave it to me but I am dubious of it, for several reasons.

1st This book is by Thomas Nelson, not my favorite publisher as it is Evangelical Protestant, and thus I am afraid this book is going to be watered down

2nd from what I have read from the book I cannot find anything or at least much about Catholic doctrine including the Eucharist, Mary’s perpetual virginity, or even the Immaculate conception.

3rd. Here are several passages from the book which you might form an opinion of.

How the Bible came about: Jerome Kodell O.S.B
The individual books in the bible are significantly different from books produced today. Most modern books are written by a sing author within a period of a few weeks, months, or possibly years. Few of the biblical books, especially those in the Old Testament, cam to us straight from the pen of an individual writer. Many of them were edited and reedited over the course of several generations. A prophet like Isaiah was more likely to speak the word of God than to write it down; he left the ask of writing to his disciples. They, in turn, might have produced only random notes of what Isaiah said. later followers organized those notes and put them into a smoother writing style.

This participation of many different people, sometimes over a period of many years and in more than one place, in the production of a certain writing is a major characteristic of the Bible. With few exceptions, the authors of the Old and New Testament books did not think of themselves as professional writers. They were members of a community which felt itself to be especially chosen as the bearer of God’s promise. Their writing was an expression of the community in action; it was the result of the process of listening to Gods word in history and in the religious experience of the nation, of reflection on that word, of telling the story, and of handing on the message to alter generations telling the story, and of handing on the message to later generations of the community. Thus the writings and the stories they tell are understood to the property of the entire community, not just the author. It is no matter that the identify of the authors may be blurred; and there is not anxiety about preserving an individual writer’s words intact. The bible comes from the midst of the community of faith in order to serve the community of faith.

Here is another quote talking about Paul’s letter to the Corinthians (1 Corinthians 11)

The function of each part of this section is not clear, that is, whether he is answering questions or correcting abuses- the problems of covering women’s heads in worship (11: 3- 16), and the correct celebration of the Lord’s Supper (11:17- 34). ( It would seems that in these two latter areas he is correcting abuses, especially in the second.) Also. the role of spiritual gifts in the assembly of the church (12:1 through 14:40) is discussed. He then inserts a hymn-like description of love (agape) (13:1-13), which is not a digression but an extension of his discussion of spiritual gifts.

I dont know anything about it. But based on the notes you shared for 1Corinthians11, and because it is from Thomas Nelson , I think you are right to be suspicious. I would certainly try to find a solid Catholic reference. Ive seen a number just by doing an Amazon and Google search. In fact , I think I saw one on this site - Catholic Answers. Also , I believe EWTN Religious Catalogue has a good one.

closed #3

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.