Is This A Mortal Sin?

To be sleeping over (not living) at your girlfriend or boyfriend’s house but not having relations?

:godbless:

As far as I know,the Church has never said that it is even a venial sin. Though it is, for obvious reasons, strongly discouraged as it could lead to major temptations. However, sleeping under the same roof as your boyfriend or girlfriend is not a sin as far as I know.

There is a risk of scandal to the church if doing this and identifying it with Catholic behavior.

James

Hm, what is it all leading up to? Are you sleeping in the same room or bed? Are you planning to marry this person…or save yourself for marriage in general? I mean, what are your intentions for the whole thing?

In my opinion, love has lost that mystique that it should have.

As long as your not having relations it is not a sin, but it’s such a temptation, it’s probably not a good idea…

Life is a confused, confusing pain in the butt. Just get through the courting experience as best as you can, with good will, work, laughter and forgiveness.

If it won’t lead to sin, then there’s no problem.

If you make a strong agreement not to do it, and stick through it then there shouldn’t be an issue.

This is a wonderful, safe tautology, absolutely “politically correct” for this website.

But, much, much easier said than done.

Even though you are not having relations, why do you want to sleep over? You know as humans we are very weak when it comes to sex.

You know it is going to be a TEMPTATION and will lead to other things.

I would advise you to STOP sleeping over your girlfriend’s house because you are asking for trouble.

PROVIGIL

amen to that!

It might depend on whether or not your sleeping in the same bedroom or different bedrooms, the same bed or different beds and if there are parents in the house. I personally wouldn’t as it is a stronger temptation unless you are in separate bedrooms and it’s a one-off and there is parental supervision.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.