Is this a mortal sin?

If you in anger say, “i want to do a mortal sin”?

Who would say that?

Do you mean if you say “I want to do [insert mortal sin here]” or if you just say you want to commit a sin?

Wanting to commit a mortal sin, I think would be considered a temptation. Though I would confess the desire to do so. This way you can discuss this with a Confessor and work on why your feelings are so strong and thus work toward avoiding a more serious sin.

I know there is a scripture in which Jesus tells us that we are liable even for our anger. What I have been told by my Confessor is that some anger is normal, but what we do or don’t do about it is where the sin can come in. Anger can be allowed to rule us, or we can rule it by our reaction or response.

Not sure what you mean there – but I will note that at times things that are said “in anger” may not be not said with the needed knowledge or deliberate consent.

Your confessor can assist you in judging.

Compendium issued by Pope Benedict XVI

1. When does one commit a mortal sin?

1855-1861

One commits a mortal sin when there are simultaneously present: grave matter, full knowledge, and deliberate consent. This sin destroys charity in us, deprives us of sanctifying grace, and, if unrepented, leads us to the eternal death of hell. It can be forgiven in the ordinary way by means of the sacraments of Baptism and of Penance or Reconciliation.

1. When does one commit a venial sin?

1862-1864

One commits a venial sin, which is essentially different from a mortal sin, when the matter involved is less serious or, even if it is grave, when full knowledge or complete consent are absent. Venial sin does not break the covenant with God but it weakens charity and manifests a disordered affection for created goods. It impedes the progress of a soul in the exercise of the virtues and in the practice of moral good. It merits temporal punishment which purifies.

vatican.va/archive/compendium_ccc/documents/archive_2005_compendium-ccc_en.html

We are accountable for what we do with our imaginations, and it is possible to commit mortal sin in this way.

Being assaulted with angry thoughts isn’t necessarily sinful at all, as Christ too was angry; sometimes extremely angry. What matters is our reaction. If you ruminate and stew over them, or “feed them”, in uncharitable ways, then you are straying from God’s will and are at least divulging in venial sin.

“If in anger you say, ‘I want to do a mortal sin’” can be translated like this: If in anger you say, “I want to** reject God with all I am to remain eternally separated from Him**” then I would say that your intention is grave matter. The amount of consent that you give that statement would be the deciding factor as to whether or not saying that is a mortal sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.