Is this a mortal sin

Hi.

When I go to confession there is an option for a face to face confession where u sit or an option to kneel behind a screen. I’m OK with either but I usually opt for the screen.

Some people ignore the screen and kneel directly in front of the priest. I had a thought that I would be too proud to kneel in these circumstances.

I know this is pride but is it a mortal sin.

I would say no, you have not committed a mortal sin.
For one to commit a mortal sin, it has got to be a serious matter; you have to be fully aware that what you want to do is sinful and thirdly , you go ahead and do it anyway.
The conditions are thus:

1. Grave matter.

2. Full knowledge.

3. Deliberate consent.

I however do not see why you would be “too proud” to kneel in front of the priest to confess your sins, Remember that the priest is representing Our Lord, who is actually the one who forgives sin and our attitude in the confessional should be that of humility.

No. This is not a “grave matter”. Not every little thing that arises from Pride is a mortal sin.

There is a difference between the kind of pride that God hates (Proverbs 8:13) and the kind of pride we feel about a job well done. The kind of pride that stems from self-righteousness is sin, and God hates it because it is a hindrance to seeking Him. Psalm 10:4 explains that the proud are so consumed with themselves that their thoughts are far from God: “In his pride the wicked does not seek him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God.” This kind of haughty pride is the opposite of the spirit of humility that God seeks: “Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 5:3). The “poor in spirit” are those who recognize their utter spiritual bankruptcy and their inability to come to God aside from His divine grace. The proud, on the other hand, are so blinded by their pride that they think they have no need of God or, worse, that God should accept them as they are because they deserve His acceptance.

but don’t worry what you did was no sin.

Think of it this way. If it were a sin to use a screen because you don’t want to be seen (pride) why would it be available? It is not a sin. Just make the best confession you can, and don’t overthink it.

No.

Finding a perceived weakness in yourself is not objectively grave matter.

Furthermore, I don’t think this situation is a clear cut as you are making it out. Yes, a person might not be comfortable kneeling in front of a priest because they are utterly filled with the vice of pride. But in these circumstances, I think the majority of folks might simply be innocently shy, or maybe not want to make the priest feel uncomfortable, or feel as if they are drawing too much attention to themselves as being pretentiously pious, or any number of other, perfectly good reasons.

We don’t need to assume that our actions are, by default, mortally sinful unless we can prove that they’re not

We also shouldn’t treat our spiritual lives as if, unless we are utterly perfect, then we are almost always sinning gravely.

Our actions and choices are far more nuanced than that, and we should trust in God’s mercy and not feel as if He’s just sitting there waiting to damn us for every slight misstep. :slight_smile:

Now, I’m not accusing you of having any of those attitudes; and, with regard to certain sins, I have often been guilty of them myself.

But if they resonate with you, and if you do find yourself thinking in those terms, I think it’s best to pray to God, to meditate on His love for us by contemplating the Passion of Jesus, and to leave things in His holy hands.

I’d also recommend you read this: mission.liguori.org/newsletters/pdf_archive/november2005sa_web.pdf

Do you have issues with scrupulosity?
I don’t THINK any of that meets the conditions of Mortal sin. 1) I don’t think it is grave matter. Not kneeling is an option. 2) I don’t think you have full knowledge. Because if you think you are kneeling before a man, you are misinformed about the sacrament of confession. You are kneeling before God. Just like when you kneel at the consecration you are not kneeling before the priest but rather God.

I urge you to learn more about what confession is and what mortal sin is and what it does.

I also urge you to think about why you have these issues of pride. It seems odd.

I’m too embarrassed to face the priest, unless it’s a communal penance and I have no choice. :blush:

We have a chair to face the priest … no kneeler.

Humbling your self as much as possible makes a better confession - I choose to make it as much a humbling experience as possible - get passed my pride and humble myself and face the priest makes for a better confession and is pleasing to God. Embarrassment and pride don’t belong in the confessional. You are speaking to God not the priest when making a confession - Jesus is there with the priest at all confessions - when you go in think in that way. The priest is a witness to your confession and has been granted the power to offer absolution and spiritual guidance.

You do have the valid option of staying behind the screen - so no its not a mortal sin - but you are aware of your pride getting in the way of your confession so i think you know what I said above is true so I encourage you to face the priest.

I think this is bad advice. There are not degrees to reconciliation. You are reconciled, or you are not reconciled. If you are contrite, confess your sins, ask for forgiveness, and carry out your penance, you are reconciled.

Why would the Church, in administering one of the Sacraments, use a screened confessional if it were in anyway inferior?? :confused:

Please don’t make the Rite of Reconciliation any more difficult than it already is for people who suffer with these problems. :frowning:

1. When does one commit a mortal sin?

1855-1861

One commits a mortal sin when there are simultaneously present: grave matter, full knowledge, and deliberate consent. This sin destroys charity in us, deprives us of sanctifying grace, and, if unrepented, leads us to the eternal death of hell. It can be forgiven in the ordinary way by means of the sacraments of Baptism and of Penance or Reconciliation.

1. When does one commit a venial sin?

1862-1864

One commits a venial sin, which is essentially different from a mortal sin, when the matter involved is less serious or, even if it is grave, when full knowledge or complete consent are absent. Venial sin does not break the covenant with God but it weakens charity and manifests a disordered affection for created goods. It impedes the progress of a soul in the exercise of the virtues and in the practice of moral good. It merits temporal punishment which purifies.

vatican.va/archive/compendium_ccc/documents/archive_2005_compendium-ccc_en.html

As to Pride -for a Christian who is seeking to follow Christ and live his faith - Pride is rather often of the venial sort -not mortal sin.

Rejecting God -now that would be grave matter!

Ones confessor can assist one in these sorts of questions - feel free to ask a question about a potential sin of him.

As to confession - one is free to use either option - set aside such thoughts. Use the screen if you like (as I too prefer).

Kneeling is an act of humility…

There is the hard path and the easy path to God - I choose the hard way. When I post I speak for myself - if my post is wrong please have the Mod remove it. Pride is the beginning of all sin.

Sorry that what I said upset you please ignore it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.