Is this a Mortal sin?????????

My question is if a (manmade) law is broken is it always a mortal sin?

I have broken by the law by failing to register my dogs because of the rabies shot they have to have. I already have one dog that is suffering with severe health problems and I believe that it could be in part to all of the shots he has had (all of the exposure to mercury).
So do you think I am in mortal sin? Thank you in advance for all replies.

God Bless.

[quote=Margaret G]My question is if a (manmade) law is broken is it always a mortal sin?

I have broken by the law by failing to register my dogs because of the rabies shot they have to have. I already have one dog that is suffering with severe health problems and I believe that it could be in part to all of the shots he has had (all of the exposure to mercury).
So do you think I am in mortal sin? Thank you in advance for all replies.

God Bless.
[/quote]

While you can ask your confessor about this if you are really bothered by it, I don’t think you have committed any sins here, mortal or venial.

Man made laws are to be obeyed if they serve the greater good. If you don’t let your dogs come into contact with strange dogs and the shots have affected your dog’s health, you don’t have to worry about it. No one is going to come to your house and demand to see your dog’s health records. And, you will not have to produce them to anyone unless your dog bites someone. I’d let it go if I were you. :wink:

No.

These shots protect the pets of others, and the people as well. There is a good reason for these laws to be in place. If there is a problem with the shots, you should let your vet know something is wrong- but the last thing your town needs is rabies going around.

[quote=Della]And, you will not have to produce them to anyone unless your dog bites someone. I’d let it go if I were you. :wink:
[/quote]

But if it does bite someone, and it is found to not have been vaccinated, it will likely be taken from you and euthanized and tested for rabies.

If there is a reaction to the vaccination, something can probably be done about it- maybe there is more than one kind of vaccination, or it can be given twice a year in smaller doses- I don’t know. I’m sure something can be done to fix the problem though.

No, it isn’t a mortal sin.

[quote=altArserver_07]No, it isn’t a mortal sin.
[/quote]

I take it you’ve never been bitten by a rabid dog.

Have you given full consent? I think so, it sounds like you know you should get it done but you have chosen not to do it.

Is it a grave matter? I don’t know for sure. I’ve never owned a dog or had to worry about dog laws. If having an un-shot rabid dog puts other people’s lives at risk then it may be.

Do you have full knowledge that it is a grave matter? Doesn’t sound like it, if you did then you wouldn’t be posting this thread. I can’t say for sure though. Decide for yourself if you have full knowledge or not.

If it doesn’t meet all 3 of those conditions then it’s not a mortal sin. Look into it a bit, you’ll be able to tell better than I can.

[quote=Margaret G]My question is if a (manmade) law is broken is it always a mortal sin?
[/quote]

No. If you unrepentently drive 31 mph in a 30 mph zone, do you think God is going to damn you to hell for that?

[quote=MrIrish]No. If you unrepentently drive 31 mph in a 30 mph zone, do you think God is going to damn you to hell for that?
[/quote]

Wait…you mean He won’t??? HaHa! I’ll never be late for work again!!! :smiley:

This can not automatically be assumed. In some states and some counties Animal Control Officials do, indeed, go door to door and require proof of license and rabies. Los Angeles County is one of those.

[quote=MrIrish]No. If you unrepentently drive 31 mph in a 30 mph zone, do you think God is going to damn you to hell for that?
[/quote]

I don’t know. He could if He wanted to. But I think that failing to protect the public by lawfully having your pets innoculated against rabies would be much more serious than speeding 1 mile over the limit. In the Old Testament, if an animal got loose and killed someone and it was because of neglect by the owner then both the owner and the animal were put to death.

I think the lives of children are more important than non-human animals. You have a duty to protect the public. You never know if your dogs can get bitten by a rabid raccoon or squirrel.

I love this post!!! You mean there are human animals running around out there without their rabies shot? Haaahahaaaa :smiley: :smiley:

Maybe I didn’t give enough info here. My dogs are 3 poodles ranging from 5 pounds to 15 pounds. They only go out on a leash for short walks.They are never allowed to run loose nor do they stay outside of the house(they much prefer the couch :thumbsup: :thumbsup: to grass!! They are not biters. The public does not need to fear these guys. :smiley: So they are not a threat to anyone. The only thing to fear is being licked to death!! :wink: If it is a mortal sin then I will get them vaccinated because my relationship with GOD is more important than anything. Just seeing the ill effects of my oldest dog is shameful that we are told to harm our animals in this way.
Thank you for the replies so far.

This has nothing to do with the actual topic, but I had to post, since it was soo funny.

In some states and some counties Animal Control Officials do, indeed, go door to door and require proof of license and rabies. Los Angeles County is one of those.

I had never heard of this until DS#2 and I spent a week with DS#1 in Michigan. I was a teenager, DS#2 younger, and DS#1 had two dogs.

#1 was at work, and some guy comes knocking on the door with a clipboard saying he is doing a Dog Census. Never heard of such a thing, and me being relatively slim on the common sense side, I said we have 2 and started to close the door. The guy says “but, but…I have more questions!” So I open the door back up. The little dog (15 lbs) is yapping at the base of the screen door, clearly within sight of the guy. I don’t think I answered one question the way he expected. But he did ask for the dog’s license number. Then he says “Well, I can’t quite see the other dog there…” the big dog (shephered mix) was being held back by DS#2 who lets the dog go at that moment and says “Here you go!” So big dog charges screen door, Guy w/clipboard almost falls backwards off porch, and I have to try to hide my laughter. So we answered all the questions for the second dog, and then the guy says “What’s your address?” I reply, “I don’t live here. You’re on the outside of the house. What does the number say?” Poor guy may never be the same again.

[quote=TAS2000]This has nothing to do with the actual topic, but I had to post, since it was soo funny. I had never heard of this until DS#2 and I spent a week with DS#1 in Michigan. I was a teenager, DS#2 younger, and DS#1 had two dogs.

#1 was at work, and some guy comes knocking on the door with a clipboard saying he is doing a Dog Census. Never heard of such a thing, and me being relatively slim on the common sense side, I said we have 2 and started to close the door. The guy says “but, but…I have more questions!” So I open the door back up. The little dog (15 lbs) is yapping at the base of the screen door, clearly within sight of the guy. I don’t think I answered one question the way he expected. But he did ask for the dog’s license number. Then he says “Well, I can’t quite see the other dog there…” the big dog (shephered mix) was being held back by DS#2 who lets the dog go at that moment and says “Here you go!” So big dog charges screen door, Guy w/clipboard almost falls backwards off porch, and I have to try to hide my laughter. So we answered all the questions for the second dog, and then the guy says “What’s your address?” I reply, “I don’t live here. You’re on the outside of the house. What does the number say?” Poor guy may never be the same again.
[/quote]

That is soooo funny…sounds like something I would say and do!!!
I bet that guy was totally confused and bewildered.

Man made laws are just that for man. Unless that they just happen to coincide with a commandment of God, say murder or stealing, or bearing false witness for instance, at worst they are a venial sin and likely not a sin at all.

Speeding, paying taxes, abiding by city or state ordinances etc have very little to do with moral values or our spiritual well being.
This is NOT to say that it is okay to break as many laws as you want, because a lot of laws are put there for our own good, or for the welfare of creating a better community.

I’m astonished at how quickly we can justify our own sins.

No. If you unrepentently drive 31 mph in a 30 mph zone, do you think God is going to damn you to hell for that?

Which is sinful pride? To think that you are so good that you deserve heaven? Naw, nobody is that blatantly arogant. But what if you think that you’re not bad enough for hell? Now there’s lots of Americans who think this way. “I know Uncle Ed never went to Church, but he wasn’t Hitler either…”

wcknight - Actually, I think you have got it a bit wrong. (Or maybe I’m wrong and have been listening to Protestants too long). Apparently there is a bit in the bible which says we are actually supposed to obey our governments and the laws they make in all cases except where man made laws actually oppose the laws of God, or something like that. Laws about pet keeping and speed limits, as far as I know, don’t oppose God’s will or His laws hence it would be a sin to break those laws I think. Generally venial sin, but sin all the same.

DreadVandal - Saying “He could if He wanted to” doesn’t sound quite right. As the CCC says, there is nothing within God’s power than is not also within His love, His will and His intellect. Basically what God can’t do and what God doesn’t do, then, are the same thing. If it’s not a mortal sin then God doesn’t (hence can’t) damn you to hell for it.

Black Jaque - He was not trying to justify a sin, just making a distinction between mortal and venial sin. It’s incredibly scrupulous to think that driving 31 in a 30 zone could possibly constitue grave matter. Not to mention full knowledge - speedometers aren’t that accurate, so even if you think you’re going 31 you might not actually be breaking the law.

Driving dangerously is a pretty subjective thing, so I think that the way we work out if it’s grave or not is by its ends. If you deliberately drive 100 in a 55 zone, but don’t hurt anyone, well you might claim that it wasn’t dangerous because there was no one around (hence, makes it only a venial sin). But if you hit someone, then it would prove that you actually were driving dangerously, and the grave end would make it grave matter. And even though you didn’t mean to hit someone, you were speeding on purpose and should have known that it could hurt someone, hence satisfying full knowlegde, and making it a mortal sin.

[quote=Flopfoot]wcknight - Actually, I think you have got it a bit wrong. (Or maybe I’m wrong and have been listening to Protestants too long). Apparently there is a bit in the bible which says we are actually supposed to obey our governments and the laws they make in all cases except where man made laws actually oppose the laws of God, or something like that. Laws about pet keeping and speed limits, as far as I know, don’t oppose God’s will or His laws hence it would be a sin to break those laws I think. Generally venial sin, but sin all the same.
[/quote]

For what it’s worth, that’s my understanding, as well. More specifically, I’ve seen both the Commandment to honor your mother and father, as well as Jesus’ imprecation to “give unto Caesar”, interpreted in this way.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.