Is this a reason not to stay married?

My husband recently sneaked about to see a movie with nude women in it with his brother. My husband said he thought it was a horror movie and that on the first part they showed nudity he closed his eyes and the second time-at the very end- he walked out. I was so upset because if he had just told me about what movie it was before he saw it I could have looked it up for him and told him not to go. Is it adultery? Is this a good reason not to stay married to him? I am so hurt and I don’t know what to do.

Dear Sonya,

It doesn’t seem plausible that your husband would SNEAK out to see a movie and then come home and tell you about it—unless he is unbelievably stupid! As an adult he does not have to tell you everything he does. He’s not a little boy and you are not his mother.

So he saw a nude body. This isn’t the end of the world. It’s certainly not adultery. It isn’t even a sin, unless it was a temptation for him and he deliberately chose to look at it. So he didn’t think to check out the movie before he went to see it; this is hardly a reason for you to be hurt, let alone leave him!

If this is the worst thing to ever happen in your marriage, you are a very, very fortunate woman!

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.