Is this a reasonable defense of why Truth is important?

I’m not an apologist, but I have been struggling with this demand: “Hey, we’re all Christians… for some life makes more sense in a Protestant church, others not, but at the end of the day the basics are all there!”

Well, yeah, most of the basics are all there. A Protestant can just as easily fill, no doubt, the second commandment of Jesus (love thy neighbor) as well as a Catholic.

But the most important is loving God (which is excluded if one cannot love one’s neighbor, of course, but moving on…)

Part of loving God involves loving the Truth that he has given to us and wants us to have. And in order to explain that, I talk about the OT. There are some things that happen in the OT that we as Christians must explain and interpret.

Uzzah touched the Ark of the Covenant, though all he wanted to do was help. And he died for it, instantly. Nadab and Abihu simply used foreign incense, and it’s not even clear their intent was malignant, and they were incinerated. This does not, of course, mean that we believe in a God who will annihilate whoever accidentally receives the Eucharist without realizing he’s not supposed to. But it does mean that God is Holy and that there is a Truth, and a right Way, and he has given us this on purpose, so that we can use it.

It would be a rejection of God for a person to understand this point and reject delving deeper into it because “it didn’t get me excited.” When we reject the Truth, we reject the Truth Giver (compare James 2 where he says that when we scorn the Law we are actually scorning the Law Giver).

If Uzzah was struck dead for trying to help and inadvertently violating God’s Holiness, how much more for someone who actively denies his Truth?

Is this argument full of holes? Is it even kosher with Catholic doctrine?

Yes you are on the right track. Also check out:

Matthew 5:19 ASV
American Standard Version
Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

So suppose one feels he can break a commandment greater than the least, and teach others to do so? Will he be least than the least, or will he be thrown out of heaven altogether?

Does Christ make an exception for “ecumenicism”? Or lack of knowlwdge? The only exception for lack of knowledge I know of is if one is making a good faith attempt to inform their conscience.

peace
steve

peace
steve

Thank you for your reply, Steve.

You’re welcome.

Truth is also important because we must know the truth about Who we worship; and what He desires is part of Who He is.

peace,
steve

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.