Is this a requirement for perfect contrition?

Is it a requirement of perfect contrition that one have no attachment to mortal sins? What if it can’t be helped?

Are you thinking of the definition of the requirements for receiving a plenary indulgence, perhaps?

Yes, that’s true. Of course we must avoid mortal sins.

‘Avoiding’ sin is a completely different thing than ‘having complete detachment’ from it.

I have complete detachment from kidney pie; I don’t want it, I don’t like it, I am completely happy without it.

I simply avoid decadent desserts, though – I know that they’re really not good for me. I still have passing moments in which I like them, and if I see them in a restaurant, I occasionally really want one.

(To the OP’s post, ‘perfect contrition’ seems to be touching upon something different than mere ‘avoidance’ or ‘complete detachment’. “Contrition is ‘sorrow of the soul and detestation for the sin committed, together with the resolution not to sin again.’ When it arises from a love by which God is loved above all else, contrition is called ‘perfect’”. (CCC 1451-52))

Now that can be one way of being detached…from such pie. But detachment need not be that one does not “like it”…would not experience an attraction to it (a temptation) from time to time…

(though whatever that pie is - it sounds horrid)

Of course, certain mortal sins are enjoyable so I do not hate the acts themselves, but the sinfulness of them. I do regret the sins once committed, mainly because they turn me into an enemy of God and separate myself from Him. Is this enough in order to be perfect contrition; is it real contrition at all?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.