Is This A Sign of the Last Days?

*But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people. *

*Matthew 24:36-44

“But about that day and hour no one knows, neither the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. For as the days of Noah were, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day Noah entered the ark, and they knew nothing until the flood came and swept them all away, so too will be the coming of the Son of Man. Then two will be in the field; one will be taken and one will be left. Two women will be grinding meal together; one will be taken and one will be left. Keep awake therefore, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming. But understand this: if the owner of the house had known in what part of the night the thief was coming, he would have stayed awake and would not have let his house be broken into. Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an unexpected hour."*

There is your definitive answer. Especially think about that last part, "...is coming at an unexpected hour." By Christ's very own words, if there is any "signs" of the end-times, than that would strongly indicate that it isn't the time since Christ said the above statement.

The Lord said: "My time has not yet come, but your time is always here."

St. Paul writes in the letter to the Romans and in the first letter to the Corinthians:

now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. The night is far spent, the day is at hand ...] brethren, the time is short ...] for the fashion of this world passeth away.

And in the letter to the Hebrews he teaches:

now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself

S. Peter confirms this when he writes in his first letter:

"Christ ...] a lamb without blemish and without spot ...] was manifest in these last times for you ...] the end of all things is at hand".

St. John in his first letter clearly emphasizes:

Little children, it is the last time.

What does this all mean?

That the "end times" began when Christ arrived. He Himself declared it:

Now is the judgment of the world

The kingdom of God does not come with observation: neither shall they say, Lo, here! or, There! for the kingdom of God is within you.

As for the signs of what we call the great tribulation, Christ speaks about it in Mark 13:

Many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am he,’ and will deceive many.

When you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come.

There will be earthquakes in various places, and famines. These are the beginning

false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect

But in those days ...] the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from the sky, and the heavenly bodies will be shaken

But about that day or hour no one knows ...] Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when that time will come.

So be on your guard; I have told you everything ahead of time.

So we are indeed in the end times, but as long as those major signs are not seen, I would not worry exceedingly about being in the very last days.

[quote="mercytruth, post:1, topic:316697"]
*But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people. *

[/quote]

When have people not been like this?

I think St. Paul was addressing Bishop Timothy as to the conditions of the future church as if it may happen in his lifetime. I do not believe the early church had a ‘form of godliness’, but ‘denying the power thereof’’. At least not in days of St. Paul and St. Timothy.

It seems as if St. Paul is reflecting on the times of the anti-christ and of the falling away. Something which is re-iterated in the Didache:

**For in the last days {the false prophets} and corrupters shall be multiplied, and the sheep shall be turned into wolves, and love shall be turned into hate.

For as lawlessness increaseth, {they shall hate one another and shall persecute and betray.

And then} the world-deceiver {shall appear} as a son of God;

{and shall work signs and wonders,} and the earth shall be delivered into his hands;**

Didache 16:6-9.

God’s peace

micah

If we are RIGHT WITH THE LORD then what does it really matter when THE END TIMES come? ;)

Unless, of course, YOU are NOT RIGHT WITH THE LORD! :eek:

Much Peace!

Mike :)

[quote="Mikeydell, post:6, topic:316697"]
If we are RIGHT WITH THE LORD then what does it really matter when THE END TIMES come? ;)

Unless, of course, YOU are NOT RIGHT WITH THE LORD! :eek:

Much Peace!

Mike :)

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

We should always be in expectation of the end because that’s helps keep people on our spiritual game. Though we are instructed not to give dates and times, but always be ready, because the end of our lives is going to happen soon enough, since we are told that life is like a vapor, here one day and gone the next.

But as far as the end of the world, according to my understanding of traditional Catholic thought, the Antichrist is still to come and there will be a period of world wide persecution of the Church, unlike the world has ever seen. Personally it wouldnt surprise me if the end was close, but it could still be thousands of years away.

I would agree, and I thank you for your resources listed.

Actually, my question was not whether we were in the last days, but whether that which the apostle Paul wrote to bishop Timothy would be one of the signs of the last days? In other words, are these the teachings of the Didache (as previously quoted) and of our Lord Jesus Christ?

And then many will fall away and betray one another and hate one another. And many false prophets will arise and lead many astray. And because lawlessness will be increased, the love of many will grow cold. But the one who endures to the end will be saved. Matthew 24:11-14

God’s peace

micah

No. As Pope Benedict has stated twice, these are not the last days. Jesus told us what to look for.

Peace,
Ed

[quote="Gem02, post:4, topic:316697"]
When have people not been like this?

[/quote]

For the few days between Creation and Original Sin :p

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.