Is this a Sin?

My family and I go to a Traditional Latin Mass parish run by the F.S.S.P, but we used to go to a Novus Ordo parish and naturally still have friends at that parish. Last night one of my old friends at the Novus Ordo parish sent me a very sad e-mail.

He talked about how they have a new priest and this priest has done this or that. One thing he wrote made me cringe. He said that when cleaning out the church the new priest gathered up all the Chalices and Paten plates that had accumulated over the years (this is an older church) and put them in a box and told the parish secretary to “go throw them in the dumpster behind the church”.

The secretary, God bless her soul, didn’t feel comfortable doing this, so she called the priest who used to be the pastor and asked him what to do. He told her to keep them and that he would come and pick them up (I know this priest and he’s a good priest).

I would be afraid of going to Hell for intentionally throwing in the garbage sacred vessels that have literally held the Body and Blood of our Savior! Wouldn’t’t that be considered a blasphemy to God and therefore a serious Mortal sin? What about when a priest commits these types of acts? Is it worse because he should know better? :mad:

The chalices and patens were consecrated (set aside to God) usualy by the bishop

newadvent.org/cathen/04276a.htm

so if true, ordering to throw them away as garbage is grave sin, sacrilege.

The secretary should have put it on ebay.
[bibledrb]john 12:5[/bibledrb]

Matthew 7:6
Give not that which is holy to dogs; neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest perhaps they trample them under their feet, and turning upon you, they tear you.

The actions of this “new priest” should be brought to the attention of the bishop.

Are you joking, or did you not know that the speaker of those words is Judas Iscariot?

It was an ironic point … grrr

My bad. :shrug:

That’s assuming that the entire incident is even true, which I very seriously doubt.

The priest can get a box, clean out the closest, put everything in the box, but leaves it to the secretary to throw it in the dumpster???

This doesn’t pass the smell test.

It’s happened before.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.