Is This A Sin?

Hi all,

I had recently started attending a new parish.

While at the new parish I went to meet with the priest whose been a priest well over 30 years. I have a compulsion/addiction that is a problem and also have two diagnosed mental illnesses that complicate the matter even more. I wanted his advice because I wanted to make confession there. He said to stick with once a month Confession. Then he proceeded to tell me some things that are not in agreement with the teachings of the Church and Church teachings he doesn't agree with. When I pointed out that it was a mortal sin in the catechism I was asked, "Do you really think God will send you to hell for that? Really?"

I'm not here to trash him, I just want to know...since I didn't know that some of this was against Church teachings and I was following his advice, am I in trouble?

If I know it's wrong or against Church teaching and I follow his directive then I'm sinning correct?

I went back to the old parish and I really got along well with the parochial vicar. He doesn't seem to have the issues with my mental illness. I go to monthly confession and he holds a stronger stance and affirms all the teachings of the Church. I like him and he challenges me to grow. We also got a new priest that is very kind and follows the Church teachings to the letter.

I just wanted to know what to do in this situation. I can't overlook things I know that the Church says are sins. I mess up bad sometimes, but I can't pretend it's not a sin.

Lorrie

[quote="Irishgal49, post:1, topic:295410"]
Hi all,

I had recently started attending a new parish.

While at the new parish I went to meet with the priest whose been a priest well over 30 years. I have a compulsion/addiction that is a problem and also have two diagnosed mental illnesses that complicate the matter even more. I wanted his advice because I wanted to make confession there. He said to stick with once a month Confession. Then he proceeded to tell me some things that are not in agreement with the teachings of the Church and Church teachings he doesn't agree with. When I pointed out that it was a mortal sin in the catechism I was asked, "Do you really think God will send you to hell for that? Really?"

I'm not here to trash him, I just want to know...since I didn't know that some of this was against Church teachings and I was following his advice, am I in trouble?

If I know it's wrong or against Church teaching and I follow his directive then I'm sinning correct?

I went back to the old parish and I really got along well with the parochial vicar. He doesn't seem to have the issues with my mental illness. I go to monthly confession and he holds a stronger stance and affirms all the teachings of the Church. I like him and he challenges me to grow. We also got a new priest that is very kind and follows the Church teachings to the letter.

I just wanted to know what to do in this situation. I can't overlook things I know that the Church says are sins. I mess up bad sometimes, but I can't pretend it's not a sin.

Lorrie

[/quote]

I would follow what is in writing in the Catechism. Sometimes there is miscommunications in person and what is written is better.

There is objective sin, and subjective sin. We are concerned with objective sin because freely chosen it becomes subjective sin. A grave sin objectively may not be a mortal sin (subjectively) due to lack of will to sin (especially with compulsions, addictions, disorders) but venial sin should also be eliminated. Even the appearance of sin can give scandal too.

The word freely is important with regard to mortal sin.

Every serious sin is a mortal sin when freely chosen to do whatever God forbids under penalty of exclusion from the kingdom of heaven.

If you didn't even no it was a sin then there is no way it could be a mortal sin. it doesn't meet the requirement for full knowledge. Also, if you didn't know it was a sin then you are not guilty of it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.