Is this a sin?

Ok, going to make this short, I have 4 German mock tests due in tomorrow but I have had 2 weeks to do them and have left them til the last minute anyway, I have done 3 and on the 4th I found the mark scheme with the answers I wrote down all the answers, but then I had a change of mind and ripped up the piece of paper that I wrote the answers down and threw it in the bin, I have now redone the test using my own knowledge. But now I understand that it is deception in which I am unsure whether I have sinned, I mean if I handed the answers in to my teacher it would be deception, but because I stopped myself and redone the test and ripped up the cheat sheet is that still sinning or by doing what I did, did I avoid sinning?

I’m just kind of worrying if I have sinned, I mean once I realised it was deception I ripped up the sheet and re did the test, but well have I sinned? I didn’t hand in the sheet or anything more with that sheet, so have I deceived anyone?

Point is I should have done the work when I had more time and the cheating was a stupid decision but because I ripped it up and redid everything myself have I sinned or ?
Please if any of you answer it would put my mind at ease, I don’t usually cheat but at the moment I’m under a lot of stress and it was desperation.

So if anyone could tell me if I have sinned or not it would put my mind at ease.

Thank You

I’d say it was a near occasion of sin, stopped by what seems like a well-formed or a forming conscience. Well done!

:thumbsup:

And next time, start preparing earlier so you don’t feel under such pressure!

:wink:

Thanks for the answer and the compliment, but just to be clear have I sinned and if so should I say this to my priest at confession or should I not mention it and just avoid it in the future.

Thank you
-Mike

Also not sure if you are able to answer but do you know if it is blasphemy to say “I thank God I’m alive”, as I was really happy the other day and said this, just a bit worried over that.

When in doubt, speak to your confessor - say something like, “Father, I don’t think this qualifies as a sin, but I’d like to hear what you think,” and then tell him about what happened.

Sounds like you might have some scruples … “Thank God I’m alive” is an expression of gratitude, not blasphemy!

Ok thank you, and yes I am rather scrupulous lately I have decided to explore deeper in my faith and since it has brought joy being closer to God, but also some stress about me thinking what classifies as a sin and what not.

Thank You for your answers and your patience you have really helped out a rather stressed 16 year old:thumbsup:

[quote="Blackspur7, post:5, topic:323098"]
Ok thank you, and yes I am rather scrupulous lately I have decided to explore deeper in my faith and since it has brought joy being closer to God, but also some stress about me thinking what classifies as a sin and what not.

Thank You for your answers and your patience you have really helped out a rather stressed 16 year old:thumbsup:

[/quote]

Bless your heart. And I mean that in the nicest possible way. I'm glad both my sons are through that age range. (They are now 21 and 19)

:love::wave:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.