Is this a sin?

Is it a sin to attend a Mass at a sedevacantist church? I showed up late and didn't receive communion. I was actually coming from 2 consecutive LifeTeen style Masses so I already fulfilled my obligation twice lol 😝

[quote="JPUSC, post:1, topic:343372"]
Is it a sin to attend a Mass at a sedevacantist church? I showed up late and didn't receive communion. I was actually coming from 2 consecutive LifeTeen style Masses so I already fulfilled my obligation twice lol 😝

[/quote]

You may want to ask an apologist or run this by your confessor.

Some of the feedback from other threads suggests that it is not a sin if you did not receive Communion, but I would elaborate that intention does matter and you may be setting yourself for a spiel about joining that Church. People do notice those things, even in Catholic Churches. :D

I will also put it to you rhetorically as to why you felt the need to attend two Masses and an additional non-Catholic one. :shrug:

The greater issue for now seems to be what you do with your time regarding religious services.

Don't you have an approved Latin Mass nearby?

FYI here are some directories of approved Latin Masses:

North America (via Coalition Ecclesia Dei)

UK (via Latin Mass Society of England and Wales)

Worldwide (via Carl Schwalm)

Is it a sin to attend a Mass at a sedevacantist church? I showed up late and didn't receive communion. I was actually coming from 2 consecutive LifeTeen style Masses so I already fulfilled my obligation twice lol ������
[/quote]

This post has so many oddities, but I'll try to answer. I don't know if attending there would be considered a sin, because that would depend on your intentions. What I would say is that it could be harmful to your faith to attend such a Mass. If you were attending as a spectator for the purpose of research, I can hardly see how it would be considered sinful.

I'm not sure why one would attend one, let alone two, LifeTeen Masses in one day, and then go to an SV Mass. Unless you just had nothing to do and felt like hitting both extremes in one day, this just seems odd to me. :shrug:

Is it a sin to attend a Mass at a sedevacantist church? I showed up late and didn't receive communion. I was actually coming from 2 consecutive LifeTeen style Masses so I already fulfilled my obligation twice lol ������
[/quote]

It isn't a sin to attend a church that isn't in good standing with Rome. You can attend an Anglican church, Baptist church, etc. However it doesn't fulfil the Sunday obligation.

[quote="larsont7, post:4, topic:343372"]

I'm not sure why one would attend one, let alone two, LifeTeen Masses in one day, and then go to an SV Mass. Unless you just had nothing to do and felt like hitting both extremes in one day, this just seems odd to me. :shrug:

[/quote]

Maybe it was an effort to restore equallibrium? Either way, it sounds like a bizarre way to spend a Sunday.

[quote="tommydude2112, post:5, topic:343372"]
It isn't a sin to attend a church that isn't in good standing with Rome. You can attend an Anglican church, Baptist church, etc. However it doesn't fulfil the Sunday obligation.

[/quote]

cAF staff member Fr Vincent Serpa will say quite differently ...you may want to search threads.

[quote="tommydude2112, post:5, topic:343372"]

[/quote]

We are permitted to attend baptisms, weddings and funerals at mainstream non-Catholic Christian Churches but we are not to attend their worship services.

As long as you show up late, it's not a sin! ;)

I promised friends in each one (in an area I rarely go to) that I would visit them and as each place was only 10 minutes apart, I decided to tackle them all in one 4 hour visit 😝

=JPUSC;11344738]Is it a sin to attend a Mass at a sedevacantist church? I showed up late and didn't receive communion. I was actually coming from 2 consecutive LifeTeen style Masses so I already fulfilled my obligation twice lol ������

It will depend on your MOTIVE for being there.

If out of curiousity: may or may not be. Discuss it in Confession: as a question; not as a sin.

If for any other reason, it ought to be discussed with your Confessor.

If we don't seek trouble; were less likely to find it:thumbsup:

That still seems odd. You took up 3 of your 4 hours visit attending Mass. Surely your friends were hoping to also spend time chatting with you, catching up on the news and possibly having lunch??

None of this was necessarily sinful that I know of. But I do recommend that next time you go to Mass at your home parish and meet your friends somewhere other than their churches. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.