Is this a sin??

Hi everyone. Last night as I was trying to go to sleep I had some impure thoughts, which I was trying to stop. After, however, I felt this sexual arousal and I’m pretty sure it was involuntary. Immediately after I began to panic that this was a mortal sin and I couldn’t sleep for a while because I was afraid I had offended God. I know I can be scrupulous sometimes but should I be worried? I’m trying to forget about it and be at peace. I’m a sixteen year old girl if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any replies.

It does not sound to me like you committed any sin let alone a mortal one.
However, since you say that you sometimes tend toward scrupulosity I strongly suggest you speak with your confessor about this. Doing so can help to head off problems down the line.

Peace
James

A mortal sin requires

1. Grave matter
  2. Free consent of the will
  3. Full knowledge

If any of these conditions is missing, you have not committed a mortal sin. You have to perform a grave action, do so willfully, and do so with sufficient reflection upon and knowledge of the gravity of the action. Impure thoughts are not necessarily a grave matter and you didn’t conjure them up or dwell on them willfully, and you don’t indicate that you’re aware of the gravity (or lack thereof) of the action.

Thoughts in most cases aren’t a sin of themselves, since we don’t necessarily have control of when they come along–you even indicate that they were involuntary. You can’t offend God without meaning to. Be at peace, and perhaps talk to a good priest about scrupulosity and how to work through it, especially since online you’re going to get a multitude of opinions, ranging from the cool-headed, rational keeping of things in perspective, all the way to those saying that you’ve incurred all kinds of guilt, which may not be true. Asking these sorts of things online may only intensify your scrupulosity, in other words; only your confessor knows your soul and can help you through things like this.

Know of my prayers for you, and may the Lord God give you his peace.

-ACEGC

Your ok, don’t forget your prayers and I might suggest a CD of the rosary to pray and fall to sleep by. Don’t over react, get a grip. Opps, :smiley:

Thank you, everyone. God bless! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.